Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 5660 times)

Offline LASERSPEWPEW

• That Damn Proddy
    • View Profile
The Dark Knight
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:22:48 AM »
There are two things I look for in a movie: tacos and explosions. If neither are in the film within 30 seconds, I do not watch it.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: The Dark Knight
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »
Looks nice; seems to retain the feel of the first film well (of course, this time I'd actually like to see some of the fighting).
The Joker is by far my favorite comic book villain; that pure, suave psychopathy that is never quite done so well as it is with him. Not sure how I feel about this more drugged up type, but then, these Batman films seem to be about trying to incorporate some new looks in an old show.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:03:10 PM »
if u actually read the comic books from the 80's it was a far far darker read than most batman movies and tv show spin offs , this batman falls back to the true underlying psychopathic nature of the characters , the joker was a very dark , crazily evil character , who wouldnt put slicing throats and raping things past him , the previous movies an tv shows , made his presence jovial and light hearted.

his smeared appearance and such , u have to remember these movies are the beginnings , and this is the beginning of their rivalry so his look may develop through out the series of movies , but i think it looks way more freaky this way ............... heath ledger , f*** yeh , you have proved them all wrong

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »
apparently during michael caine's first scene with ledger, ledger's performance freaked him out so much that he forgot his lines... im pretty sure that spells good things 4 this movie
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:45:02 AM »
I tend to agree.
Every Master was first an amateur.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 06:45:10 PM »
if u actually read the comic books from the 80's it was a far far darker read than most batman movies and tv show spin offs , this batman falls back to the true underlying psychopathic nature of the characters , the joker was a very dark , crazily evil character , who wouldnt put slicing throats and raping things past him

I like the use of the term 'raping things', but yeah. Mostly talking about Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns', one of the greatest Batman comic mini-series (and far, far more stylish than his current debauchery of the series), saw the Joker (and Two-Face, aka Harvey Dent, who's also been cast in this film) at some of his maddest. I like the exploration of a new style of the Joker's make-up though, and I much prefer him from the version of The Joker in The Batman (the new animated series), who is more like a monkey.
(Also, to see the Joker at some of his best styling, look at the '90s series of Batman cartoons).

This was me, being a geek.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline LASERSPEWPEW

• That Damn Proddy
    • View Profile
There are two things I look for in a movie: tacos and explosions. If neither are in the film within 30 seconds, I do not watch it.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 11:27:27 AM »
Now that's just sad. However, word is they finished his role as The Joker, but still, damn unfortunate.

EDIT: Just as a side note I only just found, he was apparently filming a Terry Gilliam film at the time (The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus). Much as I often enjoy his films, they do seem to have a habit of falling under some really bad luck...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:29:50 AM by Atcote »

And now... this!

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
R.I.P Heath Ledger  :'(
:)

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 01:00:32 AM »

Offline LASERSPEWPEW

• That Damn Proddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 05:20:34 AM »
http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/trailer.htm

This city deserves a better class of criminal... and I intend to give it to them.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 02:03:59 PM »
SPOILERS

Man oh man.

I went last night, i'm not sure it hit the spot quite as i was expecting.
I thought the characterisation of Rachel was very WTF. Gyllenhaal cannot play a role without acting like a whore. I didn't like the editing on the  skycraper scene either, i lost the plot. I mean i knew what was going on, but theres like a plethora of booby traps, pre-detonated sticky bombs, swat teams getting in the road, then fools getting all commando. Meanwhile, this has absolutely no effect on anything. I thought the ending would have been much better if being turned into Two-face was where Harvey Dent's involvement in the film ended. That way there would have been somewhere for the next movie to go, though I can understand him being used as a plot device to show Batman's fall from grace. It just to me seems that a man of Two Face's importance as a villain shouldn't have been the final 15 minutes of the film.

I guess these are minor personal complaints, and no doubt theres a lot to like about it. Ledger & Eckhart were especially awesome, and most importantly, the story was tight. I'm going to have to see it again i think.

/SPOILERS

Also, the watchmen trailer is on youtube! http://youtube.com/watch?v=EgQJKh5t54I

Mega keen for that.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »
***SPOILERS***

NOTE: Font size is on purpose.

I thought the ending would have been much better if being turned into Two-face was where Harvey Dent's involvement in the film ended.

This is where a lot of people (myself included) thought it was going to go - after all, some of the earliest promotional material was that of Eckhart as Harvey Dent in some sort of election-style mockup, but I liked the fact that, on so many levels, the film surprised what you expected - you don't even suppose to see his face when it comes out for the first time. I much preferred the way that Two-Face was done in the actual film, instead of him being a rather obvious, unsurprising villain for the sequal, and upon that, expected to carry an entire film himself. It seems that two villains is the way that the Batman films may be going (there's even a very, very brief reference to Catwoman perhaps coming up in the next film; as long as it's in no way tied in with the utterly horrible Catwoman movie from a few years past, this could work out rather well).

***END SPOILERS***

In short, I loved the film; fantastic on as many levels as I dared to dream. The Joker's role, performance and psyche was far better than I expected, and I gotta say, I expected a lot. If only I had more time/money, this would definitely be a film I would see twice.

Great big happy thumbs up - it challenges Iron Man for the title of best superhero film this year, and I gotta say, I think it wins.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:55:08 PM by Atcote »

And now... this!

Offline LASERSPEWPEW

• That Damn Proddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 12:33:16 AM »
I have never stepped out of a cinema with nothing to say about a film until I saw this at Imax on the opening day. Considering most of what I say about films is negative, I don't think it's possible for me to give a better compliment than to be left in silence straight after a screening.

Joker... perfect
Two-face... perfect

INCOMING SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I'm not worried in the least about Two-face being "dead". It made this film feel much more complete and quite honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves with a lot of films of late is the whole "leaving it open for the sequel" crap. So for me, the decision made for the ending was perfect - both in this regard and also thematically with the parallels made between Dent and Batman: Dent dying a hero, Batman living long enough to become the villain.

That having been said, the "death" was left ambiguous enough that he could be resurrected for a third film. Which would also make things quite interesting, because doing so would undo what they tried to achieve at the end of this one, plunging Gotham into quite a sea of chaos - just as the Joker wanted. And at the same time, there are plenty of other members of the rogue gallery they could bring in, such as Black Mask. Hell, even Mad Hatter could be made into an EXTREMELY creepy and disturbing villain. But, I am weak and love Two-face, so I would enjoy it if he returned. But, if he doesn't, I wouldn't be heartbroken because to me, this is the definitive Batman story on film.

I also think Rachel's death opens up the option for Catwoman to make an entrance. With Rachel gone, Bruce has no purpose in life outside of being Batman... there is no normal life for him to go back to, because that idea died with her. Introduce Selina Kyle, Bruce suddenly has a new chance at a normal life, only to be made suddenly complex by her own alter-ego. Lots of fun to be had with that psycho-analysis.

In any case, I love that they gave our psychopathic Joker his trademark crowbar, and that instead of a gas that leaves the victim dying with a smile on their face, he simply carves a smile into them with a knife. The pencil trick was guiltily funny and the torture video tape was, quite frankly, very disturbing and frightening - presumably because there are sickos like that in the real world who have done that sort of thing in the past. I am also very, very grateful that they did NOT give him a definitive back story, but he kept lying about it. I always hated it when they did that to the Joker in other takes, because his presence is so much more powerful when he's an absolute. As he says in The Killing Joke "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another. I figure if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

And Nolan achieved in Harvey Two-face what Lucas failed to achieve in Anakin Skywalker. We actually give a crap about this tragic hero, rather than just wanting to see him die. And more important than that, his fall is BELIEVABLE. We're given enough hints through the early stages of his "darker side", that when that's added to how much the Joker just pushes him over the edge, him taking a gun to a child's head is very believable. And thank goodness that he actually obeyed the coin unlike in friggan Batman Forever. I also like how the coin motif was developed, the concept of "the only thing fair in a world this bad is chance".

So, in any case, if you haven't picked it up already... not only is this the best Batman film ever made, it's the best comic book film ever made, along with taking a seat amongst the greatest epic crime stories.

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »
Well i have already had lengthy discussions with Dan and Alex and we pretty much agree on every point, so theres not too much i can really add that wouldnt be repeating what they have already said.

All i can say is that this movie KICKS SOOOOO MUCH ARSE, and its incredible to watch all the actors performances. I was anxious to see Heath Ledger's Joker, and will admit i had high expectations - which he surpassed shockingly quickly..

Thats really all i need to say.