Author Topic: 30 Days of Night  (Read 1929 times)

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
30 Days of Night
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:10:50 PM »

I must admitt I was a little worried that the movie wouldn't turn out well, but after seeing it I hope Templesmith feels he was done Justice.
All I can really say about this film is it made Vampires Awesome again for me.
for the first 20 - 30 mins of the film its non-stop BAM BAM BAM VAMPIRES!! then it slows down a little and starts focusing on survival.
It's been (for me) so far this year the best comic book/graphic novel interpretation since 300.

The good side of it is that they followed Templesmiths colours and idea relatively closely, accept for one or two minor details involving the Vamps.

For those who don't know the story it's basically set in an arctic region where once every while the sun dissapears for 30 days.... this time round sh1t goes down.

anyone else seen it??

True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
Re: 30 Days of Night
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 12:25:11 AM »
I was told it was bad. I had a look at the trailer and it kinda made me think 'slasher movie' so I wasn't really into seeing people killed in semi interesting gory ways for an hour and a bit. Plus there is the whole "its a vampire" movie thing which really doesn't inspire confidence. The only vampire movie I have ever thought was even...semi....not lame ( great engrish there! ) was interview with a vampire...if only it didn't have tom cruise in it..friggen midget would have been better placed as a hobbit in something...
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:47:24 AM »
Heh,

It seems the things which attracted me to this film are the same reasons you turned away from it.

Still had some great directing in it, and the gore slows down after the first 30 mins.

I think I was also enjoying this film much more considering I had watched Tales from Earth Sea that afternoon, wo-ho lets watch a film for which the 1st hour has almost no plot OR character developement, it's like wasting your time AND loosing all interest in the directors future works at the same time.

But it does stand up well as a Vampire movie IMO, one of the betters.
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Kerry

• View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 04:15:22 PM »
I didn't really know what to think about this one. I like Templesmith's idea, and the story as a whole, but just not sure whether I would have prefered reading the comic to actually seeing it on screen. 
Each with our weaknesses. Each with our strengths.