Author Topic: that old bastard... the SMOOTH!  (Read 2255 times)

Offline zam

• View Profile
that old bastard... the SMOOTH!
« on: October 13, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
ive noticed a trend in multimedia students of this course over the past few years or so to apply the 'smooth' modifier everything...  for the most part these students all have the bizarre mentality that this will make a model look better in some way, shape or form.  all i can say is this should just be avoided AT ALL COSTS.  im not saying dont create models with smooth surfaces, just be aware of what you are smoothing, and do so only when needed.

if you were, say, modeling a spaceship for example, and you wanted sections of the hull nice and smooth (as was the brief) then fine, just dont throw a smooth modifier over the entire mesh, all it will do is reduce said artwork into 'tacky 3D' category.

there are various techniques one can use to move away from the straight and hard edged look of polys without defiling a model with a generic smooth.  one would be to simply bevel the edges of a model (as in creating a smooth EDGE on a model).  another would be to select only the faces of a mesh that need the smooth and applying it directly and specifically to those faces.  and if a model is constructed with various meshs (things like a 747 are not a single flying blob of lambert), then smooths can be used on specific things like the hull, while detail/more mechanical objects can be modeled separately, and saved from that appalling old bastard... the SMOOTH!

these might be simple and obvious suggestions, but i would strongly encourage all budding young 3D students to take heed of them!

Offline Tia

• View Profile
Re: that old bastard... the SMOOTH!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:44:21 PM »
I have to admit it was one of my favourite toys... thanks for the advice, i will keep that in thought.
Every Master was first an amateur.

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 04:48:03 PM »
can i ask why it is a favourite of yours? just curious...

Offline Jeebuz

• Just Jeebuz.
    • View Profile
    • Seraquin @ Deviantart!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
I completely agree. The smooth modifier is often seen as an easy way out, but yeah, you end up with a blob. No detail, nothing but 3d ectoplasm at a really high poly count.

Smooth surfaces can be achieved without increasing the poly count or using the smooth modifier/smooth proxy tool through the use of "Average verticies"

To use this feature, select the areas of your mesh that you need smoothed, click on the "Mesh" menu and go down a little and you will find it sitting there.

Bear in mind that if you average an entire mesh you will once again lose detail. Only apply it to the areas that you need smoothed.

Once averaged I'd suggest using a tool like the soft mod to tweak your results.

Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Unless its cool.

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Because everything looked really rough and to bevel i would kill my computer becuase i tried to bevel to much and found that smooth did the same job as bevel but better, kinda...

I think it was just one area that worked in a way i could understand without having to try and strain my brain of the process of how to create it, it worked exactly as i expected.
Every Master was first an amateur.