Author Topic: Oldboy  (Read 1864 times)

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
Oldboy
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:40:01 PM »
A South Korean revenge flick I've heard heaps about. It's on right now (began at 10:30) and is going to end in an hour, but I reckon it's still worth catching what you can of it - visual feast with some pretty nifty effects. After all, it is a revenge film.

Here's a blurb from YourTV.com:

Quote from: YourTV.com
Oh Dae-su is kidnapped and later wakes up in a dingy hotel room. He spends the next 15 years there with a TV. He asks himself what made a man hate him enough to imprison him for that long. He watches the news and hears that his wife was brutally murdered and he was framed for that crime. Fifteen years have passed and Dae-su is released. An unknown man calls Dae-su and asks him to figure out why he was imprisoned. He wanders into a sushi bar and is taken home by a waitress, Mido. Oh Dae-su tracks down Lee Woo-jin who kidnapped and imprisoned him. Lee Woo-jin gives him five days to solve the mystery of why.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: Oldboy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:10:42 PM »
Okay, this is a bit late, but people may remember this film being referenced with the mass-murder 'Cho' in Virginia Tech over in the USA earlier this year. Apparently the guy made a similar pose with a hammer in one of his videoes (sent to the NBC before he started his rampage) as that of one of the promotional posters of this film.
Anyway, just a spot of interest.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »
There was a huge outcry in the Oldboy IMDB forums post-Virginia Tech. Heaps of trolls and whatnot went and trashed the place. Anyway, people should watch this film! It's pretty much made me look for the other movies in the trilogy. Plus, for the uber geeks out there, this particular movie was based on a manga series of the same name and as such, retains a very graphic novel aesthetic.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »
The uni library actually DOES have a copy of the movie, the only s***E thing is, that not even RIPPING the dvd, nor use of ANYDVD type apps would let me play the movie as the library has this knack of buying dvds that have the wrong region code. Not happy jan.
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!