Author Topic: new biblical style underworld flick - GABRIEL!  (Read 1930 times)

Offline zam

• View Profile
new biblical style underworld flick - GABRIEL!
« on: August 12, 2007, 02:45:35 PM »
in a bit of shameless self promotion, here is a link to the just-released trailer of the new film 'gabriel'

http://www.sonypictures.com.au/movies/gabriel/

thats the official site, and ive been told there will be more content added coming up to the films release

also, here is a better res version of the trailer, with a little intro from the lead role and shane abess, the director of the film:

http://au.media.movies.ign.com/media/955/955079/vids_1.html

some people may recall me grumbling about a film i was working on while on leave from uni last year?  well this is it!  its good to know i can finally talk about it now without breaching my contract...  (i hope i can?!)... 

my work on the film was for the most part, a 'junior matte painter' (although i did all bar a few of the paintings in the film?!).  i also did some texture work, comping, touch-ups, roto, and some other bits and pieces.  all up i was contracted to work on site, for a period of about 5-6 months.  it was a great experience and im really grateful i had the chance to work on it, as ive learnt a WHOLE lot from it (got to work alongside alot of really talented peeps).  im more than happy to have a chat or answer any questions about it all, like how it was to work in the 'industry' (ha!) for a period.

gabriel comes out on the 16th of november.  check out the trailer, and check out the movie when it comes out!

Offline Tia

• View Profile
Re: new biblical style underworld flick - GABRIEL!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »
Wow thats looks really good! I cant wait to see it. Congrats on working on something too i didnt realise anyone had actually been out and worked in the big bad world.
Every Master was first an amateur.

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
Yeah, congratulations Zam! It's not self-promotion if it's for the greater good, haha. ;D Anyway, too bad my internet isn't working at the moment, otherwise I'd have checked it out... be sure to see it later.

Question: how on earth did you manage to wrangle such a contract?
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:03:27 PM »
cheers guys!

also for anyone interested, a few of my mattes actually feature in the trailer... yay!

It's not self-promotion if it's for the greater good

ugh... no it is actually...  i only get paid the remaining of what sony owes me once the movie makes money (budget movie-making + contracts = ugh, dont ask)... so if the movie doesnt make a killing, i get no mula!  so go see it!

how on earth did you manage to wrangle such a contract?

through an ex-csu student now working at postmodern in syd (not luke).  he graciously talked me up to matt graham, one of the films producers, who was seeking freelancers.  i showed him some of my work (which at the time, wasnt that crash hot!), and he got me on as a junior.  i started out basically being a monkey for whatever random crap they wanted to throw at me.  i then got the chance to create a painting for one of the films shots, which they really liked, and thats basically what i did for my remaining time there!