Author Topic: movies that you would recommend  (Read 11351 times)

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
Re: movies that you would recommend
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »
Finally, someone else that respects The Great Escape as a classic!!
I love the movie; good to see it has more than one fan!!

Gotta agree TNMT was nothing near as good as the original cartoons; it explored a couple of the turtles' characters far too deeply. I'm all for backstory, but doing it to a character we know and love kinda destroys it somewhat...

300 was good, but not as awesome as everyone else seems to think it was; I mean the whole movie was a war; seemed a little tedious to me? Yeah, special effects for it were exceptional but the story was too simplistic.

Kung Pow - "Awww... How cute... BYE BYE!!"
I love that movie; very very very clever!

Anchorman is awesome too; but when it comes to newsreader movies Bruce Almighty is my preference!

As for other movies to add to my list; how about a few from my all-time favourite actor Tom Hanks; Toy Story (voice of Woody), Toy Story 2 (voice of Woody), Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan and Apollo 13... Yeah, I reckon Hanks is amazing; and all of those noted movies have great storylines...

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 10:26:35 PM »
I agree with Queen of the damned but i am rather Partial to Pitch black and the sequel more so, Chronicles of Riddick.

300 was really good as well. Great story line underneath all the death and violence.

I have the black adder series, oh yes, all of them as well as a few other choice movies.

I ahve seen ones mvie that i found really quite entertaining recently called "Death Trance" subtitled and a good watch, even if its just for the weird world and fight scenes!

Tia
Every Master was first an amateur.

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 10:28:25 PM »
Ah... Blackadder - LOVE IT!
And on a similar not; I've just been watching Monty Python and The Holy Grail!
I'm an absolute nut for anything involving British comedians!
British comedy = The best comedy!! (Yes, I'm objective, but that doesn't matter...)

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 11:23:58 PM »
Finally, someone else that respects The Great Escape as a classic!!
I love the movie; good to see it has more than one fan!!

Isn't The Great Escape already deemed a classic by the general public and critics alike? At least, that's my experience of it.

Call me a duffer but I absolutely loved the documentary that came out a few years ago titled "The Corporation". It really opened my eyes to the malicious nature of some multinationals and although poorly edited in some areas and overall, sluggishly paced, the insight into the machinations of companies has pretty much kept me intrigued since. Also, great motion graphics and animations to be found within.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 11:25:12 PM »
The Great Escape - one of my mums favourite movies, i always used to watch it with her. :)
John Clease is a ledgend. He is also funny in rat race, actually hes pretty funny in everything!
One holidays i watched the holy grail like very single day... needless to say i was quoting it for months afterwards.
it is awesome!!
I liked the movie pitch black, wasnt too into the chronicles of riddick though. the second one did about as much for me as the matrix revolution & that other crap matrix movie.  :P Just cant match the first one.
and i think sometimes if u add a sequal to a movie it takes away meaning from the first one.
I've seen a couple of episodes of Blackadder, but i find it really hard to see Rohan Atkinson as anything but Mr Bean.
Btw, when i was sitting in the cinema's waiting for Spiderman 3, i was looking at the various posters around the place, and theres a movie with John Travolta and Tim Allen...that is quite a combination. Road Hogs or somehting i think its called.
:)

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 01:16:47 AM »
When it comes to British comedy you need to see "Black Books". A bunch of crazy drunkards... what more do you want?

On the note of classics you can't go past "The Birds", "The Man Who knew too Much", "Citizen Kane", "One Flew over the  Cuckoo's Nest" (1975 and Jack Nicholson was already balding) and "And now for something completely Different" (My favorite Python Film).
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Ammon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 12:26:49 AM »
agree, The Birds is a classic

you can't go past, the BBC Pride and Prejudice (i know technically thats a series, but meh)

Also Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle.

Donnie Darko, Blood Diamond and Batman Begins

theres a sampling of the movies i recommend
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit - A wise man does not urinate against the wind

Offline Pamz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »
omG! black books is teh sex!  :P

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »
omG! black books is teh sex!  :P

Yes, I agree. I like to have sex with Black Books.
I also enjoy the television series. Just as a side note, since other people are including series here, I believe you can't go past Red Dwarf; sci-fi comedy at its best.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 10:54:48 PM »
Ah Go Red Drawrf. I love cat.

Offline Pamz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 12:17:45 PM »
red dwarf... is also teh sex...
(that does not mean that i like to have sex with red dwarves :P)

But yes, i agree red dwarf is awesome!! :-P

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
The correct spelling should be "teh secks", not "teh sex" - that way, there's no confusion. ;)

This might just turn into a thread about television, but I'm gonna shove in "I love the old and new series of Dr Who (and the online flash versions like Shada)!".  Great show. It's teh secks.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Ammon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 12:52:26 PM »
This might just turn into a thread about television, but I'm gonna shove in "I love the old and new series of Dr Who (and the online flash versions like Shada)!".  Great show. It's teh secks.

Dr Who is awesome, im really enjoying the new series. i Haven't seen enough of all the old series to make an official judgement.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit - A wise man does not urinate against the wind

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »
I guess since this has branched into series I thought I may as well mention "Texhnolyze" and "Cromartie High School", both anime and definatly worth their weight in overpriced madman discs. I must also recomend NOT watching "Neon Genesis Evangelion", 23 episodes of the main character being a bitch and low budget Mech fight scenes (yes I know its old but you get better action in Rah-Xephon), then a bit of interesting stuff... then a contriversial movie to finish it off.
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 08:23:15 PM »
I rather liked the neon evangelian series, i dunno, seemed to be really quite a good watch when it was late night, except the movie, it was twisted, its all on the cartoon channels, like bubblegum toyko 2040 lol. I love the boomer boots.

Maybe im just sad.