Author Topic: movies that you would recommend  (Read 11023 times)

Offline Ormannov

• View Profile
movies that you would recommend
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »
Hey if you see any sweet movies that you have seen lately, or you have some long time favorites, post them.

i just watched 'The Fountain' its directed by Darren Aronofsky. he directed 'Requiem for a Dream' and 'Pi'.
I really like it, not that means much, but i recommend each and everyone of you watch it.

anyone else?
This forum has all the charm and charisma of the Nuremberg Trials.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
Re: movies that you would recommend
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:46:31 AM »
Thats the one with hugh jackman and the time period things isn't it?
Hmm I have really only seen 300 and meet the robinsons of late. Meet the robinsons was....mokay but nothing that I'd rave aboot.
Im moreraving for upcoming movies, with drool worthy clips like Pirates of the carribean 3, and The invisible.
A movie that should have been released at some point somewhere ( bittorrent it IM sure is the easiest way *shifty eyes* ) is hum... "Renaissance Paris 2054" Its 3d but done in a kinda noirish black and white. It looks somewhat interesting from the trailers I have seen. So it might be something different to suss out.
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:11:08 AM »
Huuge fan of Starship Troopers over here  ;D

The most recent movie i've seen is 300, TMNT is on the plan soon, and then Spiderman..

But in terms of suggestions theres an anime - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It kicks. And Garden State (Zach Braff).
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:35:50 AM »
i was really upset by tmnt..................animation/cg wise its great.............but its really played down for the kiddies.......
in my opinion tmnt was a let down to us oldskool lovers of those lil turties.
but hey i like goin to the movies to eat popcorn anyways so i dont mind seein the odd swing and miss:P:P
i loved meet the robinsons..............one of if not the first disney/pixar combo movie!!!
awesomely done story line and impecable graphics i love it ......... if your a fan of disney........this is a milestone  ;D

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »
One animation I've seen recently (Released in 2001) that really caught my eye was Cat Soup directed by Tatsuo Sato. Runtime is about 30 mins, its very abstract.... VERY! Hard to explain....just watch it =D (BT will help youhrumrmumble)

Another couple I'd definatly recomend (for those who haven't seen) Pan's Labyrinth, Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas (Johnny Depps best film imo), Hellraiser IV, Evil Dead (1,2 and 3), Grave of the Fireflies and Akira.
I know they are widley known but just for those who havent seen them and feel like feeding their mind and eyes pure goodness.
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Tara♫

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 08:48:56 PM »
Renaissance Paris 2054 isnt to bad.. i got it a few months ago at EB.. the style is awesome and i'm a sucker for noir-esque stuff

i've recently just seen spun, human traffic and requiem for a dream (hm... is there a theme there?) which most have u have prob already seen, but i never really gave a chance... loved all three though...
(\ /)
(. .)
c(")(")

"ビー・マイ・エスケイプ"

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »
oooer! I have human traffic spinning in the xbox ready for bg noise to animate to! :D

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »
I've been getting into the Asterix the Gaul films; I can remember watching Asterix Vs. Caesar as a kid, and now seeing a couple of others, well, I suppose it would've been nice if they could've kept the dubbing voice actors kinda consistent (I prefer the Asterix Vs. Caesar voices the most).

The others I've seen were Asterix Conquers America (a dream of the French, I'm sure) and Asterix and the Vikings, which was apparently released last year. They're not perfect, but to someone who grew up with the comics they're worthwhile.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 09:04:31 PM »
I've been getting into the Asterix the Gaul films; I can remember watching Asterix Vs. Caesar as a kid, and now seeing a couple of others, well, I suppose it would've been nice if they could've kept the dubbing voice actors kinda consistent (I prefer the Asterix Vs. Caesar voices the most).

The others I've seen were Asterix Conquers America (a dream of the French, I'm sure) and Asterix and the Vikings, which was apparently released last year. They're not perfect, but to someone who grew up with the comics they're worthwhile.

Asterix comics were the best... but i cant say iv ever seen any of the films.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »
I've seen the live action ones...truly bizzare. But oddly entertaining. Hehe

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 10:38:14 PM »
theres live action ones?? sounds really..... weird  :P

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
Boondock Saints.

The Blackadder Series, All seaons

if you in civic video keep an eye out for a movie called Shaolin Soccer. Bloody funny kung fu soccer players. Some nice fx too.
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
If anyone loves a good 'ole story of the good guys triumphing over the bad check out The Great Escape. Classic war film that actually hides a layer of true fact beneath it's Hollywood-styled exterior. One of my favourites of all-time, possibly because it plays every Christmas in England and we watched it as a family each year!!
Also on that note of Christmas movies, The Snowman; an adaption of the book by Raymond Briggs is some amazing pencil (I think!) animation.

As for other movies; 300 is definately worth seeing, TMNT didn't live up to my expectations, Disturbia went beyond what I expected and turned out to be a half-decent movie and of course Spiderman 3 - I'll pass judgement there very very soon...

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 11:20:12 PM »
Is Disturbia a remake of an old hollywood movie? I mean from the sounds of it its like the movie I've seen before. Plus the simpsons spoofed it way back in the "they get a pool" episode ("...your epidermus is showing") where bart goes cabin fevery and thinks that ned killed maude.
*shruggle*

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 10:16:12 PM »
The Great Escape, classic movie!
I'm not interested in TMNT, i loved it when it was a cartoon. The movie is just going to slaughter it.
Garden State is an awesome movie ^_^
I thought Spiderman 3 was excellent. I've also seen 300, and i didnt think it was all it was hyped up to be, the effects were not as good as i was expecting- especially that wolf... i mean... what the!
I'll just rattle off a few of my fav films,
V for Vendetta, Queen Of The Damned (awesome soundtrack too!) Secret Window, Kung Pow ^_^, Anchorman.
thats all i will say for now.
:)