Author Topic: 300  (Read 10213 times)

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« on: April 23, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
I've been meaning to ask... What was everyone's thoughts on 300?

I felt it was, of course, a special fx masterpeice, but i can see why the critics ripped it - the story being minimal in terms of great depth.. But i mean what more did you need; PLOTLINE - 300 guys go to fight a battle that they have no real hope of winning, and they all die..

Simple.

A special note on the way the fight scenes were done - focusing on one or two people's fight with the whole slow to fast motion, i thought it worked extremely well. It really drew you in, and after it finished it was like 'No way there was like 5 guys fighting behind him..
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline zam

• View Profile
Re: 300
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:34:18 PM »
im still itching to see it!  been a big fan of everything ive seen of it so far though.  regardless of critics i think its doing so much good for the film industry in terms of how visually stylized and yet so successful it was.  hopefully hollywood will take it onboard that not every movie needs to look like every other movie to be accepted by the general public...

cheap tuesdays at forum6 tomoz...

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »
I only got to see it last friday in canberra. There is an awesome spoof of the whole "This is SPARTA" thingo over at www.vgcats.com Since I currently don't have any credit you might have to browse back one of two comics to see it.
Anywho thoughts on the movie... I honestly liked it, tho there was a HELL of alot of man boobage and abs. I mean GOD! But still the movie on a whole was likeable, with a somewhat happy ending in my opinion, although I think evil zoo guy looks pretty funky. Lmao, I SO expected him to sound like Michael jackson when I first saw him. But still, visually awesome, I love the tint of the red against the other colors of the film. Very nice to watch. the ending credits are prettty funky too, the whole 3d silhouettes and stuff are pretty awesome.
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:39:58 PM »
I love the tint of the red against the other colors of the film.

It really stood out ay, and seeing how the spartans were the only ones who wore it kinda reconfirmed that 'Spartans absolutely kick arse' idea. Some of the shot of Leonidas (if that how u spell it) made him look incredibly evil and intimidating (mainly cos of the helmet), so awesome.

Offline Ormannov

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:32:56 PM »
yeah, i've waited sooo long to see it, i saw it at IMAX, which was too much! it was a visual overload.
There was so many good features, the visual/colour style and grade was unique, perfect for the overtone of the epicness of the movie, the costumes where awesome, the vast and many tribes of fighters in Xerxes armada. the only thing that left a little to be desired was the plot. 
This forum has all the charm and charisma of the Nuremberg Trials.

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:38:06 PM »
the only thing that left a little to be desired was the plot. 

At least they showed what was going on politically and personally etc back in Sparta. If it didnt have that im not sure how it wouldve held up.

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:51:39 PM »
there was a HELL of alot of man boobage and abs. I mean GOD!

thats the only way you can have complete badasses kicking the s*** out of everyone and everything!

imagine if the spartans looked like tom hanks???

Offline Ormannov

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 10:55:36 PM »
imagine if the spartans looked like tom hanks???

are we talking philadelphia Tom Hanks or Turner & Hooch Tom Hanks?

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:56:41 PM »
ummm first half of cast away where hes all podgy and pastely white

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 12:40:12 AM »
awww why not davinci code tom hanks? Im sure the whole face melting into the neck look would really have matched some of the more freakish looking of xerxes forces.

Ok maybe I get the topless part ( wow fighting, better take me shirt off! ) but the whole leather underwear? These guys are fighting constantly in the heat and sweat of battle... leather would NOT be the most comfortable thing to be fighting in, maybe thats where they get their fighting spirit, leather wedgie rage...

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »
Aww, I think Tom Hanks is sexy...

Anyway, I loved the film. Sure, it's thrown up some s*** with the Iranians (descendants of the Persians), but what good movie doesn't piss someone off?

In a VFX way, it was a real joy to watch. Just to mention it, and though I'm usually not big on this, but the blood looked awesome, and the immortals had pretty cool costumes (despite, you know, being killed almost instantly). Apparently only one scene was done without the aid of blue/green screen, and that was when the Persians were riding to Sparta at the start (I think...), so that just shows the power that these things can have over setting.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Ormannov

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »

but the whole leather underwear? These guys are fighting constantly in the heat and sweat of battle... leather would NOT be the most comfortable thing to be fighting in

then what attire would be more appropriate for fighting....... spandex? Lycra?....a nice poly-cotton blend two piece jump suit?
I don't think CK had in mind a line of cotton undies for Spartans, he should have, it would have made an interesting add campaign.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 03:34:14 PM »
ok before I think of SOME kind of retort:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=070414
http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=070417
Ok well the romans had leather kilt thingies, or chitons...oh...I think thats egyptian. EITHER WAY, a cloth underwear/diaper thing would be endlessly more comfortable than a friggen l.eather budgie smuggler!
Hell if they are going to wear so little might as well totally ruin the PG rating and go naked. My god, what could be scarier than 300 penis's running towards you while shouting their joy and being able to stab you with sharp pointy things...

I actually DID like the movie by the way its just fun to pick...

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
saw it yesterday, GODDAMN THAT WAS GOOD!

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 10:45:43 PM »
I was quite disappointed, nobody looked natural.
I liked the acting- it was excellent, storyline could have been improved. but i really think they went overboard with the effects. was anything even real in this movie? i mean even the actors looked plastic.
:)