Author Topic: HP - OOTP!  (Read 4138 times)

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
HP - OOTP!
« on: July 12, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
Harry!!!

Has anyone seen it yet? I'd gone to Greater Union for the midday session only to come out after a one hour 'delay' due to technical difficulties, so got to see it at 5:30pm yesterday. I must say that this installment is probably the best of the five to come onto the screen, with the third one extremely close behind and the others trailing at quite a distance. My newly acquired inability to form long paragraphs and logical sentences will only let me say this: I can't wait for the next film!

BOOYEAH!
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
Re: HP - OOTP!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »
 ;D i agree.......... although notably many missing bits to the formula , i believe they did a great job of fitting the necessary content in to the short amount of time they had, brilliant visuals , loved the young snape bit .......... could talk for hours , but wont ...

SWEET!

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
Yeh it was definately the best one of the 5 films, brings hope for the remaining 2.

I quite enjoyed the final fight scene, the fact that it was completely hectic and fast really clicked with me for some reason..
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »
I am such a huge HP fan, cant wait for the book on the 21st <sigh> such a long time away lol.

I was a bit disappointed, the developement of the characters through the books shows a vast difference where as all the movies generally zoom into harry and only harry, levaing the other charcters lacking in their luster of what they could/should be. Maybe its just me.

But yes it was well fitted with all the neccessaries to get the movie to flow, and the visuals were stunning.

Did anyone else notice that Neville couldnt see the beasts that pull the carriges at the start? that was weird.
Every Master was first an amateur.

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »
whooops! i shouldnt have looked here... i didnt know what HP OOTP! was! but now i know its harry potter order of the phoenix...
dammit.. now i know theres a sweet snape bit and there are carriges that Neville cant see at the start!! oh no!!!!
nah, im just having a whinge and trying to keep the forums interesting...
i want to see it, and i shall! im going to sydney this weekend and im going to see it in one of those cinemas with big comfy lounges and nice posh food! woot!
:)

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:53:45 PM »
I thought the movie was utterly terrible. Honestly,the school seems to have a student attendage of what 30 people?! :| Sure you want to cut costs and everything but YEESH, it looked like there were barely any students at this freaking castle this "year" round. I mean god, they show the small group walking to the train in the end and there is a pittance of actors.
The acting was stiff and felt uncomfortable for most of the movie and could the version of harrys father in younger times look anymore LAME?!
Gack and I still wonder if the movies would have been improved if the old dumbledore didn't die, God, the one they have now is too hard to take serious with his rabbity little voice bah!.
Uncle vernon seems to have backed on a fanny pack fullof freaking fat, and who wants to see "aunt petunia" showing of some leggage ( leg cleavage).
Who kisses someone without touching them? What happened to marrietta? What happened to the magical coins to find out when meetings were on? What happened to the FREAKING MAURAUDERS MAP?!?!?! INVISIBILITY CLOAK ANYONE?
I did like luna lovegood, cool accent, nicels ditsy.
WHERE THE FRIG WAS QUIDDITCH?! Has harry forgotten how to ride a freaking broomstick or something?
Kreacher was in the movie for 2 Minutes, IF THAT!, and whats his whole point "blah blah blah filthy mudbloods"
What.
The.
HELL?!
Why even have him in there?!
Ok I understand the whole things needs ot be cut but still, cut out everything not directly related to moving the plot on RUINS the damn movie.
I did like the dementors, they look better now, and more dangerous.
WHAT THE HELL WAS WITH MRS FIGG?! "oh no dear...*long pause*...keep your wand out....*slow blink* they might come back *utter deadpan voice*
THE UNCOMFORTABLE LOVE ISSUE between hermineo ( I have NO idea how to spell that girls name ) and freaking GRAWP? Gag much.
Hagrids face wasn't even busted up, did they blow the makeup effects budget on friggen KReacher or something?!
oh god, LOUSY on so many levels. LOusy lousy lousy. You need the book to be able to follow the plot of the movies but by reading the damn book you ruin the movie for yourself because you expect so much more.
God I hope they cake in a tonne of deleted scenes in the dvd version.
GACK!
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »
Wow, i wasnt going to go into so much detail but you hit the nail on the head there.

Im reading the last edition of the potter series at the moment, last clutches of my break and the fact its nice to remove myself from the world for a while even if people seem to die, bloody grumble to the author JK Rowling on that one!!!.

Has anyone actually kept up with the series??

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 10:40:49 AM »
lol there were alot of deaths in the final book... some of which seem like a bit too much collateral damage if you ask me, but hey, Rowlings the author, its her choice I suppose... But it seems a bit like "lease" the musical... "everybodys got aids aids aids..." :S
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »
Im 4 chapters to go and not allowed to read anymore till my fiance goes to work. Apparantly im very hard to talk to if my nose is stuck in a book ;D.

Sigh, its all almost over. I wish i could say more, but i dont want to ruin it for the people who read the book a bit later then the rest of us, but the temptation is there.

Back to moving out.

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 03:06:30 PM »
Stuff

Precisely the reason why I think it's best to distance the books from the movies altogether. The first two movies compared to those that came after were utterly rubbish for the reason that they adhered too closely to the book and in doing so, left out any cinematic intrigue and emotional connection.

At first, I viewed the choice of Michael Gambon for Dumbledore with a load of contempt because the way he played the character differed dramatically from the one imagined in my head (something which I have completely refrained from now when I re-watch the films). Yes he plays Dumbledore in a more aggressive light than Richard Harris, but each actor has/had brought out different aspects of the character - I thought Richard Harris' Dumbledore lacked the energy of the headmaster, but he played the guardian figure incredibly well. Also I have now noticed the little nuances in their performances and love them for it.

The acting in the movie was a definite improvement over the flat deliveries of the previous films - the core three's range only seemed to have developed during filming of the fourth movie.

"OMG THEY LEFT OUT SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MMAARRRCCHHH AND CHANGED ASPECTS (God forbid!) OF THE STORY!"-type fans are a pet hate of mine. Get over it. They took one of the cores of Order of the Phoenix and ran with it, in turn making the best movie in the franchise thus far. The Prisoner of Azkaban film had quite a many gaping plot holes but because it had a heart, it managed to rise above the cold, paint-by-numbers direction of the first two films and Order of the Phoenix is no different.

Don't get me wrong, though; I do have gripes with some aspects of the film, especially the rapid-fire, episodic editing style of the first half hour or so.

At times whilst reading Deathly Hallows, I wondered to myself "how are they going to go about filming this?" The book is a tome of discourse with intermittent scenes of action... something I feel may just confund the production team.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:48:52 PM by UNGCO »
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »
I just follow the movie. It seemed really good to me. If you don't know what's not there it didn't bother you.
Reading a book is like looking at a DVD's deleted scenes and being all sad that they didn't put it in.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »
Precisely. Now I'm waiting on the DVD. Shouldn't be too long of a wait.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »
Reading a book is like looking at a DVD's deleted scenes and being all sad that they didn't put it in.

... This is the worst analogy I've ever heard.
But in the end, I suppose I'm the opposite; seen stuff all of the films, and just read the books. But I can't say that the thought 'Man, I could be getting the same out of watching some deleted scenes right now. And I could be sad, too! Damn you for capturing my imagination, you piece of pulp!'
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »
I dont know y ppl bother comparing films to the books that they were based upon. Sure i myself will go 'there was this part of the book that i really like but it was cut from the film' but they do the best that they can within the constraints given.

I see them as complete different entities. If the movies cannot contain the story, and tell it as well as the book then its not a very good film is it. Whereas the book may be brilliant.. Or it can go the other way (Lord of the Rings), but the film-makers cant please all the die-hard fans.. Its a win-lose situation every time.

Book to film adaptations is a risky, yet lucrative business. I mean look at the superhero film 'genre' these days. Its huge, but who can say that the Spiderman 3 film was good? Whereas the Spiderman comics are essentially Marvel's 'flagship' so to speak.

So theres my little rant..
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 09:58:17 AM »
after all.. who wants to watch 6 ours of drivel?
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/