Author Topic: Viewport 2.0 DOF can entirely freeze your computer -MAC OS X  (Read 3025 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
**edited**

Hi everyone,

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but while viewport 2.0 is significantly improved in Maya 2012, just be aware if you attempt to use DOF (if that camera has it active) and you viewport 2.0, you may not only crash maya, but also the entire computer. I've sent a formal report to Autodesk let's hope it's fixed in SP1.

<3 Rowan
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:07:27 PM by rowan »
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Viewport 2.0 DOF can entirely freeze your computer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »
Cross Platform issue?

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
It appears so, but I will have to test more thoroughly, but I've experienced the problem on ATI 5750, ATI 5770 and nVidia Quadro 1700. Will test the 1800's probably on Monday or Tuesday. I've also just installed hotfix 3 so I'll see if it's been addressed.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »
I was going to say check the Hotfixes. If it takes down the whole system is a BSOD or CSOD? (Colour Spining Wheel of Death)?

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
Just a hang, no message or BSOD, becomes unresponsive to task manager or force quit, forces a hard reset.

<3 Rowan

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »
Looks like you're not alone on this one either:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com/post/7690278123

Regarding Maya 2012 and OS X 10.7

The second point sounds like a dug up reason to make the case not to install. I haven’t had a single kernel panic with Maya and it runs just as smoothly (and unsmoothly - this is Maya after all) as usual. It’s actually more stable thanks to Apple’s GL fixes. The Radeon cards kernel panic with Maya 2012’s Viewport 2 Depth of Field is fixed and Mudbox’s kernel panics with the Quadro 4000 Mac edition are gone

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
Good link explains a lot, thanks. Labs seem to be fine, it's a mac os x issue.

<3 Rowan