Poll

Please vote for either a lunch-time event or an evening dinner to celebrate Animation and Visual Effects first 6 months

Daytime venue (12:00-2:00PM)
1 (10%)
Evening venue (6:00-8:00PM)
9 (90%)
No meal, just a social get together in the afternoon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: June 15, 2007, 06:49:40 PM

Author Topic: Animation and Visual Effects celebrates a good start  (Read 9901 times)

Offline Hages

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Animation and Visual Effects celebrates a good start
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:49:06 PM »
Dear Animation and Visual Effects birthlings,

As we draw to a close of the first semester of 2007 Damian and I reflect upon an optimistic and rewarding start to the new degree and believe maybe a humble celebration is in order. We haven’t lost any students as typical in the initiation of most degrees (nor wish to), witnessed an overall high quality of potential, and even those members of the class cocooned by bad practice give the impression their confronting their afflictions (or else there’s going to be a serious intervention from us). All in all, it motivates us to invest our efforts with the same enthusiasm to make this course all you could make it to be.

We’re considering an official yet humble function, or at least endorsing one, to celebrate the first 6 months of the new Animation and Visual Effects degree. Please vote for either a lunch-time event or an evening dinner and we’ll take it from there. It’s assumed you will probably want to be at a licensed venue but note that Damian and I are far too respectable to get hammered by shots with students and hear them spill humiliating drunken adulation in order to suck up and score a better grade. :P Just joking, we’re after a relaxed and informal atmosphere but draw the line at group hugs.  ;)

With respect to those within the Multimedia degree, this is exclusively for the Animation and Visual Effects students and although there remain striking similarities between the degrees, this is nevertheless a unique cohort of new students trying to establish their own identity. I obviously have a close affinity for every student enrolled within Multimedia in Animation and Special Effects and would like to extend the invitation to join as after the preliminary lunch/dinner is over.

The date is set for this Friday 15th June and now we need to determine where and when? ;D

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: Animation and Visual Effects celebrates a good start
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:00:37 PM »
Hmm, I'm torn between the two... but I'll have to side with a dinner; rather more suiting, I suppose.
Are there any suggestions you can make about which venues you're thinking of?
(Oh, and I also support drawing the line at group hugs :) )

EDIT: Also, for the sake of simplicity, perhaps this should be made into a poll?
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:20:05 PM »
to celebrate I say let all MM 3rd year organise a cold and shivering group outside YOUR event, complete with hostile stares and sad eyes... MM's are being shunted aside in lou of Hages new golden students *sob* :D
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:30:47 PM »
 :D lets cover our bases :P

- night time so we can eat and have some drinks (cos of course we have had a big week)

- and then where to eat ... easy as pie , golden season , its an old favourite and basically you can have what you want when you go there , so it is more suited to everyones tastes .... plus we can book whole tables out there

- im not sure if golden seasons is licenced , but we are near the main street , and we all no there is places there !!

thats my 2cents :D

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:41:25 PM »
although my vote probably doesnt count coz i wont be able to attend, im going to Dubbo for the weekend to see my family...
but i think a dinner would be best.
:( i really want to come tho... please pretend that i am there  :-[
:)

Offline Hages

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Caution with fractioning
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:21:39 PM »
to celebrate I say let all MM 3rd year organise a cold and shivering group outside YOUR event, complete with hostile stares and sad eyes... MM's are being shunted aside in lou of Hages new golden students *sob* :D

Perhaps on you can feast on the scraps that fall from our balcony?

Only joking! Of course you’d be welcome in, we could use another waiter. ;)

On a serious note though, first year students should be given an independent night to celebrate and not be subject to any prejudices being demonstrated of late. I particularly take exemption towards any suggestion, in jest or otherwise, that I personally haven’t given everything to Multimedia students to promote themselves and the course in full. The sacrifices I continue to make to guarantee every student the best opportunities are only equalled by my pride of when you do eventually succeed (and while it often doesn’t happen during uni you will get it one day). I would like to remind such students that I am not their course co-ordinator and whilst I wholeheartedly strive to provide a prominent positive influence, I do not appreciate myself or the new degree being the scapegoats of any of its perceived deficiencies. In other words, please show some care towards the new students and reconsider any personal attacks made towards your strongest advocate.

On the lighter side, they can’t be that bright...
Also, for the sake of simplicity, perhaps this should be made into a poll?

Maybe the lecturers need drinks after all? ;D

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: Caution with fractioning
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:56:29 PM »

On the lighter side, they can’t be that bright...
Also, for the sake of simplicity, perhaps this should be made into a poll?

Hey, I swear there wasn't a poll here when I looked the first time... For if it was, it was a ninja poll, wanting in the darkness of the template until I'd posted and made of fool of myself!
Damn you ninja polls! Damn you all to heck!
*Shuffles away mumbling to himself*
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 01:03:55 AM »
Ha ha I was only kidding, Im pretty sure 3rd years have had plenty of opportunities to get you drunk, hell some of us have come up to you and told you things we regret later whenwe weren't entirely sober but I was making a joke :D lol, by all means celebrate with the VFX peoples and I do appreciate the stuff you go through for us, just I hope thatgetting the animation festival here and everything didn't cost you THAT much *shiver* lol and Im not making scapegoats of anyone, I don't see any deficiencies, other than A: my spelling and B: the proddy equipment guys looking down their nose at me and seeminly having the same "hmmm Multimedia only owns the one camera and no firewire cables hmm, but since im SUCH a nice guy I'll loan you one, *scathing glance* " DISCUSSION everytime I try and get something off them, and you cannot really change either of those :D so I have no qualms, I just like making offhand comments...IM sure as hell not freezing anywhere looking in on people having a lovely dinner, I got enough of that in my childhood as an orphan...sigh..they used to call me oliver......*whimsical stare*

Offline Hages

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 06:29:14 AM »
It’s all good. I believe there is justifiable criticism that the uni must confront with regards to certain aspects of the running of the degrees and didn’t wish to single out one student’s offhand commentary. The reason for what may be dismissed as a defensive reaction is to rapidly halt what we clearly know to be an issue and protect the new students from unfair parallels. I would deeply regret any friction between Multimedia and Animation and Visual Effects as exampled by other courses mentioned above.

As suggested in the original post, it would be fantastic to also unite the Multimedia students after the first year function and wonder what it would take to convince Johannes of a lovely dinner (from a student’s perspective, not to seduce him)? I leave that as an enjoyable challenge for the class to solve.

Either way, I hope we all get to conclude the term with sense of wellbeing and celebrate in such rewarding company. Maybe after the AVFX student’s dinner we could all gatecrash whatever party TV’s got going on? Maybe even jewellery? Or, if we wanted to fester in comparisons of the universities investments towards new courses; veterinary science anyone? So until the next student shocks me with your deepest darkest most personal desires in a momentary lapse of inebriated honesty, I’ll hope to see you all Friday! ;D

R O B

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 07:47:51 AM »
A good hearty meal sounds good. And im sure after a few good vodka shots you woudnt mind a hug then Hages hehe. I like it.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 10:09:25 AM »
I live in Wagga so i know a lot of resturants.
But i have to consider that students are paying and money is running out towards the end of semester.
I believe Golden Seasons is the best choice.
Licenced, cheap, all you can eat, ok food, and in the middle of town so people can walk to pubs afterwards.

I vote a 6:30 start, considering how lazy most students are that is actually a 7 start. And everyone will be a half hour late.  :)
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline damian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 12:45:48 PM »
Golden Seasons is booked from 7pm. It is booked under either Damian, or Animation... not sure as they guy hung up on me

Golden Season Family Restaurant- 31 Forsyth St Wagga Wagga 2650     (02) 6921 1177

See you then.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »
Or, if we wanted to fester in comparisons of the universities investments towards new courses; veterinary science anyone?
Nothing wrong with vet science people...im dating one  :-\

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 01:46:50 PM »
anyone coming to happy hour at the Tav before your dinner? Simply geting slightly sloshed before we seperate to segregated soirees? :D

man that's hell to say outloud with a lisp...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:07:06 PM by chicken »

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »
Sooo, who is actually going this evening? I am on the rather bad side of a cold but a hot meal would do me good.

Every Master was first an amateur.