Author Topic: Batch rendering on Mac OS  (Read 2300 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Batch rendering on Mac OS
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »
Hey guys,

I know mac users are still the minority in this degree, but if you've only recently migrated like me you'll probably quickly wonder what differences there are when it comes to batch rendering.

This official Autodesk article is probably the best source to answer that question;

Autodesk Article

I can vouch that that approach works, but it's a little clumsy compared to the windows .bat scripts, especially with Hayden's excellent Batch Script Generator. But this free application from creative clash is a very flexible and easy to use tool for batch rendering on Mac OS;

RenderBucket

Happy rendering.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Hayden

• View Profile
    • Personal portfolio website
Re: Batch rendering on Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »
Just wondering does my program open on a mac? I haven't got one to test it on so I have no idea. If so I suppose I could make a mac option that adds '#!/bin/bash' to the start of the script and other than a change of extension that would maybe do it

edit - come to think of it thats silly, exe's dont open at all do they.

By request I could hand out a .jar file of my program (java executable). Instead of being a standalone program it uses the java engine to run, makes the file size very small too. Only thing I dont like about them is that it's easy to reverse engineer back to my source code :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:39:42 PM by Hayden »
Studying a Bachelor of IT :)

Check out Stormhyde Software

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
No as you said Mac OS cannot run executables without running Windows in boot camp or Parallels. I would have actually requested it but I assumed it was a massive chore, and that you'd only want to do it if there was quite a few Mac OS users. If you can give us maybe a limited release .jar version that would be really awesome. Maybe password protect it and make it only available from this forum (the protected student-only part of it that is to say).

I imagine there could be a few teething issues but they're no doubt solvable, we can work through them if you're interested. I imagine it would be good for your website / resume to have both platforms supported.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline bernsul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:57:23 AM »
Thanks for the info Rowan. And yes it would great if you could run your program on a mac Hayden...

Offline Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
Everything in programming is a massive chore haha. I'll give it a go when I have time along with adding more mental ray overrides. I'll pass out the .jar's in the labs or something after its completion.

Plan so far would be to have a selection just in the edit menu Edit > Script > Windows (.bat) / Mac (.sh). That way you can generate a shell script on a pc if you wish, rather than having it detect automatically.

I'll look into it more later, for now im starting packing for uni @_@
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:28:15 PM by Hayden »

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »
I have tutorialized this process for mac users.

http://rowankarrer.net/tutorials/batchRenderTut.mov

<3 Rowan

Offline Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
Thanks for this!

I will use this information in my software for the next version. With your permission I may also embed this video in my website. Aiming to make it support mac's but im still yet to find a reliable compile method.

My batch script generator was supposed to allow for all fields to be blank (except Scene file), which would then of course just read from the file instead. Although I stuffed up and it instead produces an error when the camera (I think its that one) isnt specified.

Ignoring baked cameras and the like is there a way to specify a file with multiple camera shots / frame cuts? Or do you suggest duplicating the scene file and changing the camera / frames inside each copy? Though regardless of it all I suppose its just preference to which way you do things, many ways to go about camera work

PS the object is strangely similar to the first ever sequence I rendered years ago in vfx105 lol :P
http://www.haydenbarnett.net/vfx/CubeTest.gif

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
Yes it appears I plagiarized your geometry, apologies  :P. As compensation you may use the video for your site, please embed it as a link to my site rather than embedding the source though.

This year I have changed the way I batch render. I used to specify all the flags etc. on every shot in the batch script itself. Nowadays, my approach is 1 maya scene = 1 shot, that is to say you would save out a file for every camera / every frame range. It just greatly eliminates room for error. In fact for Gob there were some particular passes / render layers that were a specific scene as well, this actually keeps maya more stable, once again, less things can go wrong. And as I mention in the tut, if you take care to specify the variables in the gui, you shouldn't need to specify any additional flags in the script.

The main thing for mac users using your program to note is the chmod issue, and the #!/bin/bash at the start, this because on mac os you have to specify the language you want to use for that shell script, because it comes with about 8 installed in the operating system, windows only comes with 1, so it can safely assume a default.

<3 Rowan