Author Topic: Need help enrolling and choosing an elective  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Diminuendo

• I love foxes and owls and dinosaurs and unicorns:P
    • View Profile
Need help enrolling and choosing an elective
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »
I just can't figure out re-enrolling for second year, I wasn't worried about it at first because I was going to do it through student central once I moved to wagga, but I was just there and I got no real help.

Can anyone help me with this? I really am having trouble.

(I'd also appreciate any elective suggestions)

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help enrolling and choosing an elective
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »
Why didn't student central help you?  What did they say to do?

Offline Diminuendo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »
They actually told me to get in contact with you or hages, neither of you were in your offices and I'm leaving wagga for a week so I started this topic

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
It's a non contact period, Hages is unlikely to reply and I'm afraid he's not really the one to contact anyway, I imagine it's more student central territory, that's what they'd tell you in O-Week anyway, oh well.

You need to go to my.csu.edu.au, log in and on the 'quick links' section on the left, reveal the 'subject info' tab. You will notice an option there roughly half way down that says 'vary my enrolment'. Follow that link, you will be prompted to enter your password, and then you'll choose 'Start', you'll confirm a few details then come to the meat of the matter, subjects. You'll then get the chance to choose a session to enrol in, this should be fairly cut and dried but in case the dates aren't clear, the session code we are about to go into is 201130. Click add subjects. You'll see your transcript and a search bar at the top. You'll need to enter the following subjects;

VFX201 - Digital Animation
MPI220 - Multimedia Authoring Concepts (in the system it is known as 'Author and Design Multimedia')
COM123 - Screen Studies

All are obviously internal and through the wagga wagga campus, they should add just fine.

The elective issue is one for you to resolve and of course you'll hear different things from everyone. I personally highly recommend a sound subject if you haven't arleady done VPA106 (there is a follw on subject to this in semester 2 as well, I think it's VPA113...) Though photography was also highly beneficial, VPA104 and PHT114, or 'digital imaging' as it's more photoshop then photography. Consider what will compliment your interests, strengths and weaknesses, if you don't know much about photoshop, the photography course is a great whirlwind tour and preps you nicely for the digital compositing subject you'll do next semester. Actually, you'd be mad not to enter VFX205 next semester without a good knowledge of photoshop, so that's my tip, but then that's just me.

Good luck,

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline megg.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
photography is the shizz.. having access to better-than-decent cameras will make your VFX205 and 206 life so much easier!!

buuuut... VPA106 is way too important to NOT do. So imo, if you haven't done 106, then do 106!

Also, Rowan, help me pick an elective ;D

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:44 PM »
PHT221 looks good, but I'm also considering alternatives, maybe even in TV, we'll see.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline megg.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
221 is studio photography yeees? I'm definitely doing that one :)

But I meant contextual-elective wise.. D:

Offline Diminuendo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 07:36:29 AM »
Thank you so much Rowan! I still don't understand why the prosess has to be so un-intuitive, but it's nice for someone to sit down and explain it to me

I've done the VPA104 and 106, and I already know my way around Photoshop.

What does 221 involve?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:39:38 AM by Diminuendo »

Offline megg.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:11:13 AM »
CSU have lovingly provided an online handbook of sorts, providing a wealth of information about each and every subject.

(By "wealth of information" I mean "you'll be lucky to get a paragraph")
(And by "lovingly provided" I mean "hastily slapped together something ugly and cumbersome to use")

But anyway- [here's the link you want].

Offline bernsul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »
I think photography has some interesting possibilities and I am heading that way. Worth talking to someone in the Photography department about what is in each subject as the subject outlines are pretty vague.

I see there are a couple of illustration subjects, there is a scriptwriting subject, and some of the TV stuff might be good as well... Too many possibilities.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »
What does 221 involve?

It has a greater concentration on using colour, light, exposure and various other camera/photoshop techniques (and tricks) to get your result. As I remember, if you haven't used the studio before, it's to be used for the second assignment, after you've been shown in general how to use it. If you can get another photography student to help you it may be possible to take some shots, but mostly it's first assessment studio-free, and the second may or may not have been studio compulsory. I'd say it was a worthwhile subject.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline bernsul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
It is always good to have two electives as possibilities because timetable clashes are common with electives.

Offline KushalaDaora

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
Hey guys, just wondering when it would be possible to get in contact with Hages before term starts. Just wanna clear up with him exactly whats going to happen with me since I need to repeat VFX101 from last year. Not one hundred percent sure whether I still take an elective plus the 2nd year subjects and VFX101 or not. If anyone here has any clues about this it would be appreciated.
'Line in nature is not found, unit and universe are round,
In vain produced, all rays return,
Evil will bless, and ice will burn'
quote by, Ralph Waldo

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »
Not 100% sure of your exact situation there KushalaDaora, but you need course co-ordinator approval in order to continue with a subject while lacking a prerequisite, so contact with Hages is definitely a plus. Whether or not he's at the uni is rather hard to judge, but best bet is to send him an email and hope for the best.

As for how many subjects you do, that's up to you. If you're unable to continue with VFX201 due to not completing VFX101, then you may as well launch into the other second year subjects (which I believe are COM123 and MPI220) and an elective. If you believe that you can handle five subjects, go for it, but as most will note, animation are rather heavy subjects to juggle an extra workload.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »
Andrew is currently on leave - not too sure on the correct date of his return.  You could email him, but dont expect a response until he is back on board doing Uni related work.

Alternatively you could call the school office (Katrina should be in on Wed-Fri) and she can adivse you on the correct method of contact or procedure to find out what is needed to be done.