Author Topic: FEAST your eyes on this beast  (Read 11347 times)

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
Re: FEAST your eyes on this beast
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »
do you really a need 1000watts of power? be sure to get the microwave mod for the case so you can cook pies and stuff while you work :D
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 04:34:13 PM »
If i have two GPU's in crossfire mode. Considering the ATI HD2900xt uses 200W power alone, i think i'll need 1000.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 03:54:01 AM »
wow.. can you say inefficient? you wont need 1000 watts, i have 2 7900gtx's running and they only need 300 odd between them.. be sure you use a watt calculator before you spend an insane amount of money on power you dont need.

+ i think its only slightly bigger than mine.
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeebuz

• Just Jeebuz.
    • View Profile
    • Seraquin @ Deviantart!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »
+ i think its only slightly bigger than mine.

Oh no! The competition starts! Next you will be revving your cases at the lights waiting for them to go green so you can scream down the road and get charged with copyright infringment from the makers of Back to the Future! Oh dear lord, when will the madness end?!?!
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Unless its cool.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 05:38:39 PM »
LOL, Case wars, how nerdy.

I am waiting for someone to say 'it's not the SIZE that matters, but how you use it'.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 06:09:15 PM »
"I am your PSU, Search your HDD slots, you know its true"

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 06:21:12 PM »
I have more slots to put stuff in.
It's loose and there's a lot of room.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Ammon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 12:30:51 AM »
I have more slots to put stuff in.
It's loose and there's a lot of room.

now that can be taken out of context waaaay to easy
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit - A wise man does not urinate against the wind

Offline DjDan

• www.danielmuller.com.au
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:41 PM »
do you really a need 1000watts of power? be sure to get the microwave mod for the case so you can cook pies and stuff while you work :D

I agree!

Well at least you can have lots of space for the equipment in there. Yes it may be thought 1000watts is overkill, BUT not really. Yes meters may say 300watts but that is only average running, when you get some processes running, the thing will very likly be peaking at double that. Like when you turn a 100watt light bulb on, you have a surge current of about 200watts. By having an excess on the powersupply means that they wont be running anywhere near capactiy, will last longer and run much cooler (obviously it will still be like a 300watt heater). Choppers are very good powersupplies as compared to transformers because of their high effeciency.

Obviously budget is a factor.
djdan is the man!
FCKGWRHQQ2YXRKT8TG6W2B7Q8

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 01:49:42 AM »
im more concerned about the noise those huge fans would be making. haha, get the liquid cooling to somehow run through your PSU. be sure to read the danger sticker on the PSU cooling kit.

"WARNING MAY F*** UP YOUR PSU WHEN TURNED ON"  :D
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline DjDan

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »
im more concerned about the noise those huge fans would be making. haha, get the liquid cooling to somehow run through your PSU. be sure to read the danger sticker on the PSU cooling kit.

Haha, yeah like that :

Although bigger fans can be run slower, therfore make very little noise.

You could fit about 100 mac mini's into this tower!
djdan is the man!

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »

I agree!

Well at least you can have lots of space for the equipment in there. Yes it may be thought 1000watts is overkill, BUT not really. Yes meters may say 300watts but that is only average running, when you get some processes running, the thing will very likly be peaking at double that. Like when you turn a 100watt light bulb on, you have a surge current of about 200watts. By having an excess on the powersupply means that they wont be running anywhere near capactiy, will last longer and run much cooler (obviously it will still be like a 300watt heater). Choppers are very good powersupplies as compared to transformers because of their high effeciency.

the thing is, if you are basing your purchase of a powersupply off the 'average' running, then you at the word go are going to encounter problems, the PSU and the tower should be the last thing you buy for several reasons.

for instance you don't want to spend more money than you have to, you can usually get a rough estimate of what sort of PSu you need to run your computer by determining the peak wattage each card/device pulls under load, give that total a margin of error of about 100 watts and you might end up only needing a 700 watt power supply. Remember, because you have 1000 watts doesnt mean it will all be used. if a 1000watt power supply has 4 'rails', each you would assume only allows 250 watts and wont pull anymore than that or any less. sorry to say bu the light bulb analogy really doesn't fit.

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 03:04:07 AM »
well yeh   orrrr   instead of spending 300   u can do the smart thing

and buy a 50 dollar case off ebay   for about the same size  and allow 50 dollars for cooling
like this one for example
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-ATX-COMPUTER-PC-CASE-LCD-TEMP-TIME-FAN-DIS-LED-FAN_W0QQitemZ250129289929QQihZ015QQcategoryZ80168QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
this may got for 50  and postage 50

then we have 200 to spare for water cooling 
which is here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Thermaltake-Big-Water-745-Liquid-Cooling-System_W0QQitemZ290125960316QQihZ019QQcategoryZ80150QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats about 300 dollar   u need to take the case off for performance reasons anyway for cooling, so make sure the case isnt a noob case and opens gay like.

But like normal   i told Keaton this...  but im used to people not listening to me     

well they look at my computer   lol  and i dont blame them...
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline DjDan

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »

I agree!

the thing is, if you are basing your purchase of a powersupply off the 'average' running, then you at the word go are going to encounter problems, the PSU and the tower should be the last thing you buy for several reasons.

for instance you don't want to spend more money than you have to, you can usually get a rough estimate of what sort of PSu you need to run your computer by determining the peak wattage each card/device pulls under load, give that total a margin of error of about 100 watts and you might end up only needing a 700 watt power supply. Remember, because you have 1000 watts doesnt mean it will all be used. if a 1000watt power supply has 4 'rails', each you would assume only allows 250 watts and wont pull anymore than that or any less. sorry to say bu the light bulb analogy really doesn't fit.

Let me correct some things here. First thing you learn at tech, Everything has a surge current of about double its full power. So you are saying
total a margin of error of about 100 watts
is misleading and incorrect and is only a fact you have made up.

Ok, fine, buy a 700watt chopper it doesnt matter. I dont beleive I said you would use 1000watts anywhere in my post, fact of the matter is, in Any industry, it is a known fact that if (in related to this example) you have the 1000watt power supply, you will never be drawing close to its full potential, and hence will get a much longer life out of the unit, hence for the remark
Choppers are very good powersupplies as compared to transformers because of their high effeciency.

Lightglobes are a very simple analogy that people can relate to. Or what about speakers. You have some speakers with a program running of 1000watts, you should only use an amp double. Thats just one of many examples and can be found on all good speaker producer companies such as electro voice, meyer, jbl.

A powersupply reading does come from all the rails added up together yes, but they are in no way evenly rated. The 5volt rail is normally some rediculous amount of amps and the 12volt rail normally not as much. A lot of the figures on the supplies too are overated for what they can actually produce.
djdan is the man!

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
total a margin of error of about 100 watts
is misleading and incorrect and is only a fact you have made up.

When calculating the PSU you need for your computer using a Calculator of ANY sort, you don't take it for face value, you add atleast another 100 watts on top of that calculation. Because these programs are inaccurate. First and foremost this is what i was taught when i built my first machine and it hasn't failed me yet and my computer is running at peak efficiency. Who told me this you wonder, my older brother, the reason i take his word as pretty much scripture in this case is because he does this s*** for a living.

and i never SAID you were buying a 1000watt PSU, i was merely pointing out Keaton buying one would be a waste.