Author Topic: Organising Files, back ups, etc  (Read 2698 times)

Offline sarah

• View Profile
Organising Files, back ups, etc
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:39:53 PM »
ok, wasnt sure where to put this subject so thought id stick it here.

was just wondering how people go about organising both their working and unused files. i am currently undertaking the tumultuous task of reorganising, backing up to cd / dvd and deleting files from my hard drive. Having only had a computer since the final quarter of 2nd year my biggest problem has been locating files and trying to decipher one file from another. I have some assignments spread over my hard drive, portable hard drive and numerous cds. As you can imagine this makes my work much harder!

So what are people doing to keep their files organised?

At the moment I am organising my folders into year/semester/subject/assignment#/program etc to keep everything nice and neat. I also make folders with all of the images/video/audio etc that any of my editing programs will be referencing. And a folder for my final submission and rationale.

Id like to compress most of my stuff and burn it onto cd/dvd to give me some space on my computer. Any pros or cons to saving my work this way? Should I invest in a big portable hard drive (my current one is only 30gig) and store my stuff there instead to avoid accidental data loss because of a scratched cd etc?

What do you do to keep your files organised?
"If you know exactly what you are going to do, what is the point in doing it?" - picasso

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
Re: Organising Files, back ups, etc
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:24:42 PM »
I'd suggest having more than one form of back-up... So keep those CDs/DVDs you mentioned, put it on your portable hard-drive and yeah... You should be good.

Depending on what type of work you're doing also it might be a good idea to invest in a larger portable hard drive.

Sounds like a pretty organised system you've got going there though; kinda like the one I used at school.. (haven't yet adopted for Uni work 'cause I'm lazy!!)

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »
I've been using the same system since Year 7 which is pretty similar to the one Sarah detailed in her post: Year/Subject/Assignment/Contextual Folders/etc. I find it fairly efficient.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:13:18 AM »
At the moment I am organising my folders into year/semester/subject/assignment#/program etc to keep everything nice and neat. I also make folders with all of the images/video/audio etc that any of my editing programs will be referencing. And a folder for my final submission and rationale.

i've found that system very useful. I have a single downloads folder for anything i need to pull off the internet. just makes it easier when you need to do the monthly cleanup. i only create the /year// folder once that year has passed, that way i can access my current projects without having the pain to go through another folder.

When archiving your old projects and such, i compress all rendered images into a single .RAR file. then create another .RAR with the rest of the project. that way if you are running low on disk space, you can dispose of the rendered images as you still have the original project files to do them again if needed. be sure to pack all your uncompressed video's to bring them down into the Mb range instead of the Gb. Its not nice having a single video take up 25gb of space!

Music goes into its own folder with /artist/album format. i still have 2000 songs to organise eeeeek!
Games in their own.

Personally i dont like using any medium other than hard disks to backup/archive my stuff since a single scratch can screw 4.5 gbs of data in an instant, and plus i dont like having a lot of dvds around. but then again if a hard disk blows up there goes 500gb. hehe. use a RAID setup if you can, and an external if you have one.

Like i said, sooner or later you'll see the "free space left" pie almost consumed by the evil colour blue. the system your using is optimal. i manage to free up 20gbs of space every month quickly without hassles. normally i just delete the downloads folder lol.
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
hehe my file naming needs work, I have things that are temp2afivewednesday.jpg and the like... eek. Not to mention my desktop is the dumping grounds for whatever I don't feel like organising yet. So that gets pretty cluttered all the time.
For uni work I usually have a "uni" folder with seperate subject folders inside that. But whats annoying is that from the first 2 years ( prior to my portable hd ) I have 5 cds for several of hages subjects. BLEH. I wanted to use some footage of one of them the other week and the bloody thing is corrupt!
AUGH!
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline sarah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 04:24:15 PM »
I have things that are temp2afivewednesday.jpg and the like... eek.

yeah ive found the naming of file is directly related to my level of frustration. for one of my animations i found my file name changed as such: attempt01, attempt02, attempt03, final, final02, finalfinal, stupidsh*t, stupidsh*t02, f*ckingpieceofsh*t. and then there were 9 versions of bsarah01/02/03/04 etc and it was 04 and not 09 that was the final submission. annoying to say the least!

hey! i just found a cd with f*cking sh*t written on it. what will it turn up?

it was blank. so i suppose it was sort of sh*t.

so if i do decide to purchase a bigger portable hard drive where can i go to suss out which brand i should buy etc? ill do a search on the net. in the meantime does anyone know of a good site for comparisons?
"If you know exactly what you are going to do, what is the point in doing it?" - picasso

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:30:19 PM »
Hmm the computer store in upper main street is meant to be rather affordable, but I think they only sell lego brick harddrives, or at least they did last time I checked :D
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!