Author Topic: Image posting on the forums ~everyone please read~  (Read 2307 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Image posting on the forums ~everyone please read~
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is a reasonable request but I think it might be better for all involved if images posted on the forums were posted as links to another website, rather then an image embedded in the thread. It's kind of annoying to go through dozens of pictures that you've already seen to get to the latest post, not to mention it gets expensive if you live on campus (and you have to enter your dang password once for every picture if you didn't prior to clicking that thread).

Some people like to post many angles and alternative renders of their works, that's great, but it takes up a considerable amount of space. Further the second years are exhibiting huge amounts of images for their references at the moment.

What do we think? Do-able?

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline megg.

• View Profile
Re: Image posting on the forums ~everyone please read~
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
Agreed :)

I think its ok to post maybe one or two images of something you've found or what you've done... but its not necessary to spam a bajillion different variants of the same image/artist...

and heres an image just to be hypocritical ;D

Director: We've got to do the Jiminy Jillikers scene again, Milhouse.
Milhouse: [fuming] But we already did it. It took seven hours, but we did it. It's done!
Director: Yes, but we've got to do it from different angles! Again and again! And again and again and again and again and again!

Offline Judy

• View Profile
    • http://www.judychoi.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
hmm. I just thought clicking on each website was annoying.

but that sounds reasonable.

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
Another option is embedding a scaled down version that is kept to under 200kb, say 600px wide or so - a thumbnail really, then have a link to a normal resolution image that can be opened in a new window.

Offline Anusia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 12:52:50 AM »
i think pats onto a winner with that suggestion.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 08:27:04 PM »
It's really easy for the forum to Automatically restrict the size of images that are embedded, heaps of forums do it. Just up to the forum moderators to include this handy feature ;-)
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »
everyone stop your whinging! lol this course is about the perfection of imagery , so i want to see an image on a wip , and i dont want to navigate elsewhere to find it , be kind , post a pic and DONT BE SO CHEAP!!

Offline Anusia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
everyone stop your whinging! lol this course is about the perfection of imagery , so i want to see an image on a wip , and i dont want to navigate elsewhere to find it , be kind , post a pic and DONT BE SO CHEAP!!

hehee..... well said Griffin  ;D

Offline Hages

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Embed your posts with reasonably sized images that link from a personal web space. Every student is expected to have a personal web space. This can be university provided such as Athene or an external site. Good net etiquette is to strive for the smallest amount of data in transferring information. This basic principle is taught in first year in a subject titled MPI104 Introduction to Multimedia.

Every post in this thread is right and I can understand why people would say there must be an easy solution. Itís true that in SMF you can enable image uploads under Admin > Configuration > Features and Options.

There is a reason the forum is run this way however. Obviously these features are given considerable testing before determining whether they will be enabled or disabled. In our case, Animation and Visual Effects, we are the only course in the SVPA to have a server publicly accessible and must operate at enterprise level for 24 hours / 7 days a week. This is not (inherently) supported by the uni and the server is an old customised Mac that operates on donated parts i.e. my hard drive. If we were to facilitate image uploads this humble server immediately slows under a minimum 1000% increase in processing & data load and is no longer the swift resource it currently is [note the response time at the bottom of each page]. Remember, what youíre seeing is a fully functioning forum that behaves like every other site on the net and thatís what makes it rock. Otherwise itís Interact. ;D

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »

Matts kind of got a point there.
As a third year with limited time, when I browse through the topics of first and second years Im doing it quick. To be blunt, we're like little kids. We stop and look at the pictures, and if theres no pictures we will just skim over your WIP Topic and you wont get any feedback....

As Pat suggested, post a small image and then a link to the larger one. I see most of u use flickr, flickr auto resizes images... so it really isn't too hard to copy two links instead of one for the benifit of getting feedback to improve your own work.  ;D
:)