Author Topic: The Laptop Choice  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
The Laptop Choice
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:39:33 PM »
Okay, lately I've been having a craving.
While most people would manage to subdue this with a coffee or perhaps a large amount of chocolate, I'm afraid that the only thing that will rid me of this is a very expensive laptop, of who's cost would destroy my budget.
At least, this would be the case if I didn't have a large pile of money saved up from three years of work.
My problem, however, is what type of laptop to get.
Should I go with a random PC brand of laptop, or get a shiny new MacBook?
Pretty much the OS is the only real concern, and while I know I can dual boot using a Mac (though the specifics have kinda eluded me).
Just wondering: If I were to step into the darkness and get a mac, would I need to purchase all new copies of my software, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash, or would the copies work over both formats? (I haven't purchased the Adobe Designer suite yet, though due to my main workstation being a PC, it'll indefinitely be a PC version).
I do mostly 2D work in Flash, Photoshop and Illustrator, though I do play around in Bryce occasionally for backgrounds (though I'm admittedly not very good).
Anyway ideas, thoughts, past experiences or so on would be greatly appreciated.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
Re: The Laptop Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:10:33 AM »
Apparently macs are good for animation and photoshop, although Andrew does try to steer us away from Macs.
Im assuming you already have a PC desktop.
What do u have a craving for? after our debate about Macs in rivcoll today (debate? pfft! we were just bagging the crap out of them) do u seriously want a Mac?
I suppose it would be good to have diverse computer range....but then u might have the problem of files getting corrupted and deciding not to work when u transfer them from mac to pc or vice versa. :P
I favour pc's, the whole mac thing has never really sat right with me.
Okay, im just going to take this as another opportunity to tell you all what i'm getting!
I'm getting a Toshiba A200/400 ! They're so new that i cant even find their specs on google to brag about, and given that i have a bad memory- I dont remember them! Oh well, you'll just have to druel when i bring in my nice shiny toshiba PC laptop!  ;) (although it comes with vista, a little formatting and it'll be 10 times better again!)
:)

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »
I looked up the A200, 512 ram seems a bit low for vista.
I take your getting the a400?

ATM i have an acer 5670.
It runs well.
Bought it a year ago, was the first laptop with duel core intel.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:22:47 PM »
yeah, im pretty sure it has 2gb ram or somthing snazzy like that.
:)