Author Topic: WALL-E  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
WALL-E
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
Anyone been to see this yet? This being an animation forum and all, I thought it may come up sooner or later. Please note, some people may regard what I'm going to say here as spoilers, so there, now you're warned.

Pixar's latest foray into film was, to say the least, impressive even for them. The basically dialogueless first fifteen-thirty minutes of the film (it may have been more or less, I wasn't counting) convey a beautiful amount of character in them, Wall-E's sensitive personality is clear and crisp, and I didn't even start to fringe on boredom from it. Other films that have attempted a dialogueless beginning, like 2001: A Space Odyssey by Kubrick (by the way, expect references to that film. Plenty of them) make me wander off to get a drink, but this captivated my attention.

The film's environmental message, much like that of Happy Feet's, has come under fire from conservatives, and I yet again have no idea why - the message seems to help the film more.

While it was great, enjoyable, and lovable, the film felt has if it had some faults, though rarely (if ever) did they go into the annoying.

Anyway, to sum up, I liked it. What did others think?
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Libby

Re: WALL-E
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
No-one replied to this? Well now that I'm taking the time to read all these movie threads you can have my 2 cents, aren't you lucky.

Having watched WALL-E once at the movies, and multiple times on dvd I have come to a few conclusions.
  • It was an awesome movie, I loved it!
  • Amazing animation and sound. I love that they were able to convey so much character with so little dialogue and when it comes to WALL-E, as well as most of the other robots, i'd say pretty limited sound effects.
  • It didn't seem to appeal as much to kids. I remember when I was sitting in the cinema the kids watching were completely disengaged and playing games and fighting to pass the time. While I loved it, I think that maybe it ended up being more of an adult/animators animation, rather than a kids one which I kinda liked.
  • I really think the environmental and social 'lessons' flowed with the movie really well, I don't think it would have been the same without them and despite the, as you say, conservatives citicism I enjoyed it.
  • Its an ace animation and now I've gotten all excited about it, I think I might just have enough time to squish in another viewing before heading out for the day, Winner!!!

Yeah, so they're my thoughts, right or wrong.

Wait wait, I like the bit when the captain says: AUTO! Earth is amazing! These are called "farms". Humans who put seeds in the ground pour water on them, and they grow food - like, pizza!  :D