Author Topic: Favoritest Band/Song ever !  (Read 14948 times)

Offline zam

• View Profile
Re: Favoritest Band/Song ever !
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »
rap isnt music! its just a beat and a horny black guy.

as i said, bitches, bling, and guns are only a small part of what 'rap' is.  theres far more 'music' out there that doesnt simply consist of a drum + some toey afro-american.

i like everything as long as its good, although ill have to admit my tastes tend to sway towards the 'dance' side of things.  im guessing this will be considered blasphemous in this rock filled thread though!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:28:01 AM by zam »

Offline orchard

• View Profile
    • http://dashboard.filefront.com/orchard/
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »
i couldnt say what my favourite music is i like to listen to alot of different bands and music style, i have to agree with no rap and very limited on the rnb. I have to say no metal either, sorry! :-[

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »
i dont see why it would be considered blasphemous, it was a question as to what music u liked, if someone judges you based upon your music tastes, thats quite silly.
I still think rap and rnb is crap, but thats my opinion, im not going to hold it against you for liking it.
When you say dance, do u mean techno? coz i dont mind a little bit here and there.

i wanna add some more onto my list!
The Beatles- Elenor Rigby
lol, i was way into the spice girls when i was a little girl... although i now think they're horrible, i still get a smile when i hear their songs...  :D
:)

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 10:42:10 AM »
no just from past experiences i have found people whose music taste primarily consists of some of those listed here already are pretty guarded and quick to slander all things 'dance'.  i usually keep my music tastes to myself in old wagga town for this very reason, which is a shame considering how passionate i am about music.

when i say dance though, yes i am refering to techno, but moreso breakbeat, funk, electro, house, tech-house, electronica, progressive, and a bit of minimal (if anyone knows what im on about there, then good!)

to answer the question of the thread though, although extremely hard to pick, i would have to say my fav band/group would be either the prodigy, or plump djs
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:47:44 AM by zam »

Offline Ormannov

• View Profile
the most Caucasian thread ever!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
rap isnt music! its just a beat and a horny black guy.

controversial!...i love it!!!
but seriously..thats the most generalised statement ever. i'm not the biggest rap fan, but its a serious genre of music and there are many different facets and branches of rap that aren't so "bitches and gats". I spose the best thing about about rap is theres not groups trying to be Pearl Jam *cough* Creed *cough*. but each to their own and granted i'm a big fan of Chincy, Glam, Kamp as F#*& 80s music so i can't point the finger. 

i like music from metal, industrial, FKN love 80s, Synth, Synth pop, Synth pop electro indie, electro, indie electro and world music.

So there aren't many beastie boys fans here then?..i guess they fall into the rap genre..

But most of all i'm a massive David Bowie fan.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:49:58 AM by Ormannov »
This forum has all the charm and charisma of the Nuremberg Trials.

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 12:12:14 PM »
So the defenders of rap/r'n'b come along!

Although I do like me some intelligently constructed lyrics and whatnot, I also have times where I just feel like listening to playful, or downright crude stuff, like most of mainstream r'n'b or hip-hop music... or crunk. Gotta love crunk. I also listen to bubblegum pop on occasion, and in general pop music is my friend.

I may have pigeon-holed the 'urban' genre in that previous paragraph, but like Orm's said, rap is quite a serious genre. Go back a few and you'll find more politically involved lyrics. Aussie hip-hop has quite a few good examples where the substance is actually there (not that I can mention any off the top of my head).

Hmm, I'll add on J-pop, K-pop, C-pop, house, electronica, trip-hop and rock to my previous list (even though that consisted of actual bands as opposed to genres).
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »
Is it so wrong that I like some horrifically popy songs?
I don't know, I like dancy music as well, some 80's stuff ( wooh roxette ), music from games ( eg Final fantasy ) so nobu uematsu, Placebo, Madonna, Alanis morrisette, Bjork ( <3 ) Imogen heap ( twee ), Scissor sister, Seether, sigur ros and many more.
I just tend to go with things i like the sound of, not any potential emotional content of the song. I like music I can daydream to basically....that and dance to...when Im alone and my windows are sealed with ducktape lol.
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 12:36:05 PM »
hmmm maybe people got the wrong impression from my previous posts?

like ormo too, im not the biggest rap fan myself, but the genre has taken influences, and indeed influenced from so much in the world over the last 40 or so years that it would just be plain ignorant to poo poo it based on the mainstream/commercial stuff of recent years.  im sure plenty of people (possibly even some of yourselves!  :o) at some point or another would have listened to and enjoyed something from rap influences, whether they knew it or not!

ugh. cant be bothered defending it anymore than that though...

p.s. chicken ->   sigur ros = the goods!

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
I'd have to say Rap is more than just bitches, hoes and beefy bass... still thats all we see in the consumer driven crap that ends up on the top 50 charts.
I personally like most music (minus Emo and mainstream rap), can't get enough of Butter Fingers, NIN (9th XD, can't wait), Nile (RoundHouse on the 27th XD), EDGUY and Sonata Arctica (the GODS of POWER Metal imo), Isis, Tool, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, The Smashing Pumpkins, the Pillows and Kelly Baily (wrote all the music to HL2... yes I'm a HL fanboy). I guess that show you my music tastes.

Still nothing tops Sepultura in my music library.

True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Pamz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 08:59:58 PM »
Sepultura - roots bloody roots. infact i just finished watching that film clip!  :o

Rap is more than that? wow. lol nah, i figured it would be. i just like to generalize things... its fun...and mean.

l im sure plenty of people (possibly even some of yourselves!  :o) at some point or another would have listened to and enjoyed something from rap influences, whether they knew it or not!
I like outkast, well the andre side (his name is andre right?) like Hey Ya. awesome song, awesome film clip.
I also find it very fun to laugh at snoop dogg  "drop it like its hot" rofl  :D
but, thats basically as much as i know about it.

Tool are good! but their last album was rather....odd. im not sure that i like it as much as the others.
Schism is by far my fav tool song.
which reminds me, isnt it sad when the stupid media take a good band and destroy them?
I mean, yes My Chemical Romance are emo- but i didnt mind the old My Chemical Romance, before this "black parade" crap...
And what annoys me also "Last year it was evanescence, this year its within temptation" <-- quoted directly from the ad on tv. I mean WHAT THE! evanescence and within temptation, sure they both have female singers and guitarists... but... what brainwash is that!! I liked within temptation before evanescence even came onto the scene, and now their making it seem like within temptation are a new thing. what trash.
i've had my little rant now. i'm good.  ;D

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 09:39:49 PM »
which reminds me, isnt it sad when the stupid media take a good band and destroy them?
I mean, yes My Chemical Romance are emo- but i didnt mind the old My Chemical Romance, before this "black parade" crap...

Granted, it's like what happened with Death Cab for Cutie and Fall Out Boy. However, I can't say that either bands have turned out crap music once they were signed to major labels. For example, Plans definitely isn't the best Death Cab album and it was a big disappointment after the epic that was Transatlanticism, but it wasn't a load of crap either and was in fact rather good in its own right.

I haven't heard The Black Parade yet but the album art's certainly enticing and it's been getting fairly good (critical) reviews.

I don't think it's the media that destroys a band, but rather the cultural environment surrounding the band's entrance into the mainstream - I mean, there's already been so much backlash against the emo culture that MCR's sudden appearance makes it worse for them. Yes, I know they've been around for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:41:49 PM by UNGCO »
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »
I liked within temptation before evanescence even came onto the scene, and now their making it seem like within temptation are a new thing. what trash.

If you like that style theres also Lacuna Coil... its goodness wraped in female vocalist... and they been around for a while now (it just hurts me when i hear people calling Lacuna a carbon copy of Evanescence.. THEY WERE FIRST!!).
I just wish i didn't miss their last tour... damn bank account I HAVE MUNNY... YOU JUST CANT SEE IT!!
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 11:06:30 PM »

Yea i loved My Chemical Romance, with their first two albums they used to be more "vampire underground". Now they are just emo...
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Tabaris

• Magma solves everything
    • View Profile
    • Tabaris on DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 03:09:57 PM »
My music tastes are... Strange I have a little bit of every thing in my collection, metal, classical, blues, jazz, rock, industrial, pop, a small amount of rap and country, and an unseemly number of anime soundtracks.
Current Favorites (in no order)
  • Of Wolf and Man - Metallica
  • Waiting for the Sun - Powderfinger
  • Superbeast - Rob Zombie
  • Tank - Yoko Kanno
  • Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima - Krzysztof Penderecki/PolishNational Symphony Orchestra
  • The Light Before we Land - Unknown Artist
  • Little Miss - BOA
  • Salva Nos - Yuki Kajiura
  • Silent Hill - Akira Yamaoka and Rika Muranaka
  • Mad World - Tears for Fears
strange no?
Urist McForeman: Magma solves every thing.
Urist McSmartyPants: Even the fact that the mayor has gone Psychotic because he is on fire?
Urist McForeman: Sure we just need more magma.

Offline Pamz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »
Lacuna Coil are good, i failed to mention them before, but yes i've been listening to them for a while now.
i like tight rope best i think...
Go Rob Zombie-Superbeast! love it love it!!