Author Topic: Your Top Tools  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Your Top Tools
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »
What are your top tools for doing your multimedia/animation/arts activities? Could be a fun comparison (or just an interesting diversion). Please keep it to stuff you own or can use, not so much dream things (yes, I too would like access to all of Paul Debevec's freakish camera and lighting equipment and Pixar's render farms, but that's not for here). Software like Maya's basically a give away, so only include it if it's something kind of different.

Mine are:

1. Macbook Pro.

A lack of crashes (only one crash of Premier, and none of After Effects or Photoshop since purchase) and no pesky gaming distractions? Procrastination dies quickly with this item.

2. Fine-liner.

Just a generic pack of uniPin fine-liners for concept work; I always feel better using one of them instead of a greylead for initial designs and concepts.

3. Wacom Tablet.

A modest 6x8 inch tablet for all of the digital painting and drawing touch-ups I need (I've learned my lesson - don't just start drawing straight onto it, scan something in first).

4. 300-400D Canon Camera + Shiny Ball.

Because I like shiny things. That, and I've gained a slightly passion for HDRI since last semester. Even straight photography (not using it for 3D lighting, but just normal photos) making use of it can give some really interesting results. Been thinking of getting a decent garden ornament ball, as the Christmas ball out for hire has almost had its surface worn away to pointlessness.

5. Canon Printer/Scanner.

As said before, I never let myself get started with just the tablet anymore, and the scanner's been seeing more and more use lately. Never leave home without one (or rather, leave it in your home and use it there. Whatever you want, it doesn't bother me, I just wanted to fill up more space here).

What're your tools of trade?
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: Your Top Tools
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 11:35:40 PM »
I can't bring too much new to the table, but i think wacom's are worth every penny. I tried mouse work at uni the other day and ended up boycotting until i got home.

This is probably off the ledger, but my Creative Zen: Vision M is easily the most satisfying purchase i've ever made. I saved up for ages in 06 to pick one up, and i don't think a days passed where i haven't used it. Aside from not raping you with iTunes, you can partition up to 16gb for removable storage, which doesn't seem like a feature nowadays, but 8gb flash drives weren't even around back then. I've used it to get me through high school speeches, and have managed to save many an idea on the fly by setting the programable button to voice recorder.

The data port also smells like bubblegum: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10669

Offline Jeebuz

• Just Jeebuz.
    • View Profile
    • Seraquin @ Deviantart!
Your Top Tools
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »
HARDWARE:

My chunky 7 year old computer. Due to retire as soon as I invest in a sledge hammer.

Wacom (6x8)

Dual screens- 19" ref and 24" main

NON HARDWARE

Paper, pencil, scanner- Its always nice to be able to draw things without having to squint at a screen. 

KleanKlay- awesome for doing quick sculpts of organic models to get the silhouette and forms right.

Foamcard- Great for blocking out geometric designs. Plus its awesome nerdy fun to make minatures.

SOFTWARE

3ds max is nice but chunky. Good for rapid modelling. Its like the Fischer Price "My first 3d App"

Z Brush on the very other end is great for detailing models and generating normal maps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really need to invest in a camera and shiny ball. So jealous of you Atcote! :P
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Unless its cool.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: Your Top Tools
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
I don't actually own a digital SLR camera - so unless I want to use my mum's analog SLR, which is possible but incredibly, incredibly tedious, I'm basically HDRI-less for the holidays... Ah well, have to entertain myself with particle and fluid effects.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!