Author Topic: Built me a new PC...  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
Built me a new PC...
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »
Well I built me a new PC so I thought I'd 'share it with you' and revel in the glorious victory that has come about because of nerdiness.

This machine is built for audio editing...

Build: ($815)
Case: Generic Brand Case w:/650 watt p/s
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
CPU: Intel Quad Core 6600 (q2.4)
RAM: 8GB DDR 800mhz (4x2gb)
HDD1: 250gb Seagate (16mb cache)
HDD2: 500gb Seagate (32mb cache)
HDD3: XXX
HDD4: XXX
HDD5: XXX
HDD6: XXX
Video card: Nvidia 8600GT (512) Silentpipe edition.
CD/DVD: 2 Asus DL DVD-Burners w:/ lightscribe

Audio:
Soundcard: M-Audio Project mix I/O (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProjectMixIO-main.html)
Sound Card Expansion: Behringer ADA8000 8channel Preamp (optical in to Project mix).
PCI Card 1: 6 X USB expansion (4 external + 2 Internal)
PCI Card 2: 4 x Firewire Expansion (3 External + 1 Internal)
PCI Card 3: XXX
Speakersystem 1: Edirol MA-10A Micro Monitors
Speakersystem 2: Generic DSE 7.1 Surround sound system

At the moment the 250 seagate drive is partitioned into three partitions, one for Vista Ultimate, One for software for Ultimate, and the third for my ripped CD's. I will use vista as my primary 'online' operating system and as the distribution point for media around the house. It is also my digital imaging environment (photoshop etc).

The 500gb drive is set as a single partition and has Windows XP installed. It will be strictly an audio editing environment. So when I can afford new HDD drives there will be one for the Protools installation, and my other audio editing VST's and plugins on other drives etc.

Two external WD My book 320gb's at the moment are housing my sound/image/video libraries and are set up as mapped network drives from other computers in the house so I can grab files and watch them on TV etc...

I am using easybcd to dual boot, so on startup i can boot to XP or Vista depending on what I want to do. EasyBCD is here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: Built me a new PC...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »
Sexy; and with over a terabyte of space to play around with a I don't think you'll be left wanting very soon.

I'm surprised at the price - an 8 GB RAM machine for less than a grand? I must be more behind on technology than I thought I was...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:50:46 AM by Atcote »
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »
Sexy; and with over a terabyte of space to play around with a I don't think you'll be left wanting very soon.

One of my synth packets I am saving up for is 550gb ;) I will actually need a terrabyte HDD to install the damn thing.

Ill use it up fast.

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
I'm surprised at the price - an 8 GB RAM machine for less than a grand? I must be more behind on technology than I thought I was...

a fortnight ago EYO listed 2x2gb corsair memory packs at $99... was a promotion as they had started dealing in mac RAM also. They are now $110 for the 2x2 pack.

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »
Well I built me a new PC so I thought I'd 'share it with you' and revel in the glorious victory that has come about because of nerdiness.

This machine is built for audio editing...

Build: ($815)
Case: Generic Brand Case w:/650 watt p/s
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
CPU: Intel Quad Core 6600 (q2.4)
RAM: 8GB DDR 800mhz (4x2gb)
HDD1: 250gb Seagate (16mb cache)
HDD2: 500gb Seagate (32mb cache)
HDD3: XXX
HDD4: XXX
HDD5: XXX
HDD6: XXX
Video card: Nvidia 8600GT (512) Silentpipe edition.
CD/DVD: 2 Asus DL DVD-Burners w:/ lightscribe

U get this from crown?    iv got the same exept for the case and the video card    and i dont have the "L"  on the end of my motherboard

OOoOO  but that looks like a kick ass sound card and speakers though

---
It over clock realy nicly   u can easily get to 3 gigs with stock (but i wouldnt recomend stock cpu for ocing though)  Its awsome since u can tweek the ram multiplyer and so u can overclock the cpu without killing the ram     It also has a nice  "auto" valtage setting in bios that helps with trying to tweek stuff      also  if u raid 2 drives, it has very good 'on motherboard' raid0 stuff that seems to work fine and fast (220mb ps + for hd speed)

one problem that i had was that the motherboard did not reconise the ethernet port without drivers (my other mb did...) so yeh   make sure u have the drivers before u format  (but if u are running vista they may already have that diver installed since im runnin xp64... )

Im asuming its vista ultimate 64bit? 
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »
U get this from crown?    iv got the same exept for the case and the video card    and i dont have the "L"  on the end of my motherboard

OOoOO  but that looks like a kick ass sound card and speakers though

---
It over clock realy nicly   u can easily get to 3 gigs with stock (but i wouldnt recomend stock cpu for ocing though)  Its awsome since u can tweek the ram multiplyer and so u can overclock the cpu without killing the ram     It also has a nice  "auto" valtage setting in bios that helps with trying to tweek stuff      also  if u raid 2 drives, it has very good 'on motherboard' raid0 stuff that seems to work fine and fast (220mb ps + for hd speed)

one problem that i had was that the motherboard did not reconise the ethernet port without drivers (my other mb did...) so yeh   make sure u have the drivers before u format  (but if u are running vista they may already have that diver installed since im runnin xp64... )

Im asuming its vista ultimate 64bit? 

Nah not from crown, i ordered parts from several sites off the net.

Had to install the ethernet drivers yeah, not a major drama, the disc that came with the motherboard had them on it. It wasn't in vista ultimate even, and yeh, thats what I am running, Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Sucks a bit cause beta testing the project mix i/o drivers is ghey.

Offline DjDan

• www.danielmuller.com.au
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
distribution point for media around the house

good luck with doing that.. damn copyright protection things even when your only doing it privately and not pirating, you can only seem to get low quality streams. I gave up on windows for any media server distrobution stuff.

And understand with netwrok drives!! they are a cow!!!

SOunds a good computer.. would be cool when you get more drives.. raids are good!!

One thing I noticed that you are putting programs in a 2nd partition but same drive as windows.. could this slow down application speeds? Of course with 8 gig of ram and quad core processing id suppose that overcomes it.
djdan is the man!
FCKGWRHQQ2YXRKT8TG6W2B7Q8

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
One thing I noticed that you are putting programs in a 2nd partition but same drive as windows.. could this slow down application speeds? Of course with 8 gig of ram and quad core processing id suppose that overcomes it.

For the audio stuff i wont be, windows XP, protools, and VST's are all going to e on seperate physical drives.

For vista it is on a single drive partitioned as I couldnt care less as it is word processing and internet only really, dont care for it for anything else beyond that.

Offline DjDan

• www.danielmuller.com.au
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »

For the audio stuff i wont be, windows XP, protools, and VST's are all going to e on seperate physical drives.

For vista it is on a single drive partitioned as I couldnt care less as it is word processing and internet only really, dont care for it for anything else beyond that.

yeah fair enough.. well word and all them can run on those ultra micro network computers!! hehe they are very cute sometimes!
djdan is the man!
FCKGWRHQQ2YXRKT8TG6W2B7Q8