Author Topic: PC/Mac Users  (Read 6758 times)

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
PC/Mac Users
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
What is the ratio of PC/Mac users studying this course?
Just wondering...

I'm a PC user myself... Always have been, always will be!
Even my creative side is firmly rooted on PCs!!

Mac's just seem to me to be somewhat expensive when you compare to similar specifications for a PC.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 04:04:24 PM by rdarnz »

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
Re: PC/Mac Users
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 04:02:11 PM »
I use a PC, but my half-grapho heritage makes me lust for Macs as well.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »
I've heard they make pills to cure you of that... I think they are called cyanide vitamins or something *cough*
Im a pc user, mainly because the only macs I've ever had access to are the ones in the jackcross and they don't entirely work too well for me so far, plus I prefer to stick with things I know and I hate it that photoshop doesn't have a background on a mac ( you might be able to change this I don't know ) but it just looks so damn messy seeing your desktop behind the images you are trying to make...grrr... then theres the annoying ads "Hi mac, hi pc!" I mean GAWD, I want to unleash honey badgers on those ads!  >:(
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »
Although, I'm the biggest fan of PCs and whatever and would never turn to the dark (or should that be white?!) side, I can fully appreciate the humour of those adverts!!
Very celever marketing by Apple, in my opinion.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »
sure but they are so annoying, not so much promoting their own product as degrading another..just annoys me somewhat. I don't even know why, they make many good points, but whatever. Its just...almost...Apple propaganda. BAH.
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline Tabaris

• Magma solves everything
    • View Profile
    • Tabaris on DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 12:32:15 PM »
I'm a Mac user and i must tell you of the seductive power of the White side. I switched because i had serious Windows problems... Namely every program i have used on a PC has crashed on me. I will admit i did not like Mac's at first everything was so confusing, (were is the Start menu?) but now it makes more sense than windows ever did. (who needs a Start menu?) And best of all no more viruses that alone was worth the switch. Yes there aren't many games but i have a Micro$oft xbox 360 so its no big loss.
Urist McForeman: Magma solves every thing.
Urist McSmartyPants: Even the fact that the mayor has gone Psychotic because he is on fire?
Urist McForeman: Sure we just need more magma.

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:41:20 PM »
I'm a Mac user and i must tell you of the seductive power of the White side. I switched because i had serious Windows problems... Namely every program i have used on a PC has crashed on me. I will admit i did not like Mac's at first everything was so confusing, (were is the Start menu?) but now it makes more sense than windows ever did. (who needs a Start menu?) And best of all no more viruses that alone was worth the switch. Yes there aren't many games but i have a Micro$oft xbox 360 so its no big loss.

i'm a die hard PC user. i won't lie though, Mac's seem to be a bit more stable when doing any graphic design. But thats what i like about my computer, its all hands on. And i just don't agree with the "if you want an upgrade, chuck your old computer out and go buy a new one." I like the odd $100-$500 upgrade. Sure viruses do suck. But come on, LANS LANS LANS! If you spec your computer right you can keep up with the current consoles and also do everything else. But it appears consoles are becoming more appealing as a gaming outlet and entertainment. Who knows, my next upgrade may be turning my existing (or buying a new) computer into a full workstation.

I also find it appealing that when i go down the main street, i pop into the Apple Store and ask "where's your gaming section?"

Speaking of consoles, who has traded in there old console and 20 games to get that over-the-top expensive brick Playstation 3?
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »
PC man. Since the days of the 386. Oh yeh.

Macs never held much sway for me.. I remember as a kid my main thing against them was the fact there was only 1 mouse button.  :P
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »
Damn that 1 button... damn it to HELL!

I'm (if you cant guess) a pc user, since the days of Windows 3.1.... mmmmmm... doooooosss. I still remember playing good old Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nuken (1 and 2), Commander Keen and Wolfenstein on him. It hurt me when i found the monitor to the machine had finally Carked it, I felt abandoned... naked in the wind.... this was 1 month ago.
NEVER underestimate the stability of 3.1 or its "Live to Win" spirit... I feel inclined to do a "in memory of" video.
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 09:09:24 PM »
Speaking of 3.1 and uber old games, did you ever play this: Jones: In The Fast Lane?

I thought it was awesome fun.

I'll be using a PC for a long time to come, but sometime in the future, I may just purchase a Mac to use in tandem if not simultaneously with a PC.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »
OMG! i used to play Jones in the Fast Lane!!! lol
it was a rather delayed response i admit...

also...im going to post this here, in the 'right circumstances'
:)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 06:45:49 PM »
Okay, I finally feel as though it's worth me posting here.

As said in the Mac topics, I'm now a freakish hybrid Mac/PC user. I own a custom made desktop PC and a Macbook Pro.
My Macbook is currently functioning as my work station, as (although I've only had it for around a week) it has yet to crash on me, and it also has more processing power than my desktop PC (twice the damn videocard at that). I find it to be a more stable and work friendly OS. Also, over the past year I've been getting more and more distant from games; in year 12 I didn't go a week without playing one, now I can let a month go by without me even thinking about it, so that's become far less of a priority for me.
However, I still use my PC everyday. Admittedly, it's at least partly because of games (my Wii is hooked up to the PC, as the Macbook lacks any type of integration device), but also it's far more familiar to me. While I'm just getting into the more advanced features of Mac's initial software (Okay, yes, I've been playing around in Magic Studio on Garageband...) I feel safer with XP's file construction (I don't know, separating folders with a ":", it just doesn't feel right yet).
Personally, I think it's worth having access to both, as they have their ups and downs. While Maya works on a Mac, lots of 3D and compositing programs don't support it, and while Maya may be viewed as the 'be all and end all' as far as our Uni 3D work goes (except for maybe Rhino), it may not be what you're always going to be working with. Similarly, Mac has a few programs (though many to do with sound editing, such as Logic Studios, or Aperture for photos) that don't come around to the Windows side, though Windows certainly does rule the roost when it comes to its amount of software (at least in my limited experience), though this can be overwhelming and confusing. But realistically (once we're out of uni), despite the cost of a Mac OS machine (I no longer have a useful bank account), the price of Aperture, Logic Studio and Shake seems to be less than that of a full Adobe Lightroom/Soundbooth/After Effects license (although don't quote me on comparison of quality between them).
I think overall it's the ability to be familiar with both systems that is most important. You don't really know where you'll be working, especially first off; that may very well be what sets the OS you work with for much of your early career, but it's better to be prepared to work with either.

I also find it appealing that when i go down the main street, i pop into the Apple Store and ask "where's your gaming section?"

It's to the left as you walk in. You can have all the fun of Zoo Tycoon, available for a mere $50, so worth it for a seven year old game.
Okay, yes, and Guitar Hero III...
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 06:48:49 AM »
Nice post   

hmmmm I think I would buy a Mac Book Pro for a couple of reasions:

1) It is expensive... but once u have one    u dont spend all your money upgrading it like a desktop pc       since u are resigned to the fact that its 'just a laptop' and shouldn't try to open up a maya or shake file that requires something dumb to run, say  1.2 gigs of ram just to open the scene   and 1.2 gigs to render...

2) Im finding that once Im getting fustrated on somthing on a project... i seem to just go for a walk for a few hours  and sit somewhere and jot-down notes to try to solve whatever the problem is,    if it is a comp problem    then I dont need to carry around the WHOLE scene   just need to get some nodes-to-play-nice-for-a-bit      why not do work in the mall when eating icecreem and coffee? Plus u have the energy of the crowd   so u are not likely to start 'chucking-a-hissy-fit' at the software program...

3) They look cool
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »
i cant help but think CAD style...

"fisher prices my first computer"
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »
Okay, I finally feel as though it's worth me posting here.

As said in the Mac topics, I'm now a freakish hybrid Mac/PC user. I own a custom made desktop PC and a Macbook Pro.
My Macbook is currently functioning as my work station, as (although I've only had it for around a week) it has yet to crash on me, and it also has more processing power than my desktop PC (twice the damn videocard at that). I find it to be a more stable and work friendly OS. Also, over the past year I've been getting more and more distant from games; in year 12 I didn't go a week without playing one, now I can let a month go by without me even thinking about it, so that's become far less of a priority for me.
However, I still use my PC everyday. Admittedly, it's at least partly because of games (my Wii is hooked up to the PC, as the Macbook lacks any type of integration device), but also it's far more familiar to me. While I'm just getting into the more advanced features of Mac's initial software (Okay, yes, I've been playing around in Magic Studio on Garageband...) I feel safer with XP's file construction (I don't know, separating folders with a ":", it just doesn't feel right yet).
Personally, I think it's worth having access to both, as they have their ups and downs. While Maya works on a Mac, lots of 3D and compositing programs don't support it, and while Maya may be viewed as the 'be all and end all' as far as our Uni 3D work goes (except for maybe Rhino), it may not be what you're always going to be working with. Similarly, Mac has a few programs (though many to do with sound editing, such as Logic Studios, or Aperture for photos) that don't come around to the Windows side, though Windows certainly does rule the roost when it comes to its amount of software (at least in my limited experience), though this can be overwhelming and confusing. But realistically (once we're out of uni), despite the cost of a Mac OS machine (I no longer have a useful bank account), the price of Aperture, Logic Studio and Shake seems to be less than that of a full Adobe Lightroom/Soundbooth/After Effects license (although don't quote me on comparison of quality between them).
I think overall it's the ability to be familiar with both systems that is most important. You don't really know where you'll be working, especially first off; that may very well be what sets the OS you work with for much of your early career, but it's better to be prepared to work with either.

It's to the left as you walk in. You can have all the fun of Zoo Tycoon, available for a mere $50, so worth it for a seven year old game.
Okay, yes, and Guitar Hero III...

I'll buy a mac just so i play Glider Pro again...