Author Topic: Fatal Mental Ray Error.... Help me???  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
Fatal Mental Ray Error.... Help me???
« on: April 11, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
I have tried to render a scene..its a simple hallway with some fluro lights.
the lights are just cylinders with a glow on them...and ive put a point light underneath each one to actually light the scene...
I am making it 6233x3508 pixels and i'm cropping the width down to 4961 later on in 'post'.

When i render it renders the picture, without the glow...and it looks crud. I'd prefer not to fix this in photoshop.

This is the error that i keep encountering...
Is there anything i can do to make this scene render successfully?

// Error: *Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya.
:)

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
Re: Fatal Mental Ray Error.... Help me???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »
I am making it 6233x3508 pixels and i'm cropping the width down to 4961 later on in 'post'.

:O

No   dont do that   rendering at 6K will probably kill my pc :S

render at say  1024x768   and scale up to 4k if u need to       dont render in 4k       at most render in hd (1280x720)

Is there anything i can do to make this scene render successfully?

First of all    are u using any global illumination/caustics/hdr lighting ect?         if not    why dont u render in maya software?

If u realy want to render in mentalray   try this:   set your render settings to 'preview'  and just increase the anti-aliasing    and see what it looks like       remember   maya doesnt normaly make what u want in the renderer,  u may need to go into photoshop in order to control the final look

hope that helps
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:55:29 PM »
Well i am kind of against making things larger...because that makes things distorted/pixelated...and that isn't good when doing a 300dpi hi res image
Suprisingly my computer has been rendering the complete image....but it hasn't been rendering the glow....thats basically the only problem.
I tried using Maya Software to render, but ...it doesn't render with the glow.

I've decided that I'm just going to make it glow in Photoshop....but thankyou for replying to my post!  ;D
:)

Offline Jeebuz

• Just Jeebuz.
    • View Profile
    • Seraquin @ Deviantart!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
render at say  1024x768   and scale up to 4k if u need to       dont render in 4k       at most render in hd (1280x720)

This isn't a very good idea- it is a waste of time rendering at a low res and then upscaling unless you are using the frame as a template to paint over.

The whole point of rendering at a high res is to keep the sharpness and detail of an image. Upscaling would just blur the details and ruin the end result.

To render at such high resolutions make sure you are doing it through the batch render option, not the little button that allows you to see it all happening. I've found that this alleviates most memory issues/weirdness that mental ray throws at you, as you can let the program dedicate all its rescources to the render rather than the render and the GUI (User interface)

Let it do it all behind the scenes, and it should work :D
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Unless its cool.