Author Topic: 8 gigs of ram Vista Ultimate x64?  (Read 11591 times)

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
8 gigs of ram Vista Ultimate x64?
« on: April 04, 2008, 01:36:35 PM »
Ok   i just found out that my mb    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2544

Can take 8 gigs of DDR2 800 ram

since the new labs (i think) will be runnin vista   im doing some thinking if I want to update to Vista Ultimate   since its relatively cheap  and that

Now   i know that xp has some type of limited ram usage in 32 bit xp   with somthing like 4gig max in xp64bit

but i read somewhere that Vista Ultimate can cope with 8gig!

Also    those server motherboards with 32gig of ram     What operating system do they use to cope with that?

Has anyone tried this?       Or do u want to try to convince me to Not try this...

:D
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: 8 gigs of ram Vista Ultimate x64?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:35:53 PM »
8 gig is pushing the boundaries of human experience here, man. I don't know if God meant for us to...

Ah, bugger it. If you can afford it and think it'll help you, go for it. At least it should mean no upgrading of RAM for a while.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Hages

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:09:55 PM »
You’ll be vomiting to know that our new workstations in the AVFX Studio can handle up to 128GB of RAM. It’s nice to know but impractical for the 32-bit version operating system of Vista Ultimate which we’re running. Why? Read about Memory Limits for Windows. If you want to go 64-bit that’s up to you but we haven’t for many practical reasons and will live happily with the humble 4GB gracing each machine. ;D

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:31:19 PM »
Ok   i just found out that my mb    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2544

Can take 8 gigs of DDR2 800 ram

since the new labs (i think) will be runnin vista   im doing some thinking if I want to update to Vista Ultimate   since its relatively cheap  and that

Now   i know that xp has some type of limited ram usage in 32 bit xp   with somthing like 4gig max in xp64bit

but i read somewhere that Vista Ultimate can cope with 8gig!

Also    those server motherboards with 32gig of ram     What operating system do they use to cope with that?

Has anyone tried this?       Or do u want to try to convince me to Not try this...

:D

I think 64bit Vista is insanely cheap if you already own 32bit? 64bit is awesome, just so long as everythings compatible. Problem with 64bit XP was that noone made software for it. It's a lot better now though...