Author Topic: Are you an animation student wishing to work in OZ?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline damian

• View Profile
Are you an animation student wishing to work in OZ?
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »
Although I do not like to voice my opinion on a public forum, I believe in this to be an exception to the rule.

I would like to urge you all to write letters to:
Prime Minister Rudd http://www.pm.gov.au/contact/index.cfm,
Julia Gillard Julia.Gillard.MP@aph.gov.au,
Wayne Swan Wayne.Swan.MP@aph.gov.au,
Peter Garrett Peter.Garrett.MP@aph.gov.au,
Geoff Brown (SPAA) geoff@spaa.org.au,
Brian Rosen (FFC) ffc@ffc.gov.au and
Simon Whipp (MEAA) mail@alliance.org.au
if you disagree with the current ruling on the Producer's offset for Justice League, which in turn, affects the
future of our industry.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/film/mega-movie-refused-rebate/2008/03/18/1205602383792.html

Yes, we need local Australian stories being made, but we also need an incentive for studio pictures to keep Australians employed, building new skills, generating interest, employment and opportunities. I would hope that a vibrant, active and sustainable film industry would benefit everyone, and infiltrate into a more local production ideal of making brilliant Australian films with Australian stories. Currently, there are not enough films being made in Australia, and now we're sending at least two of the country's biggest budget films offshore, which had the potential to employ approximately 1000 Australians over the next few years -Many of which would be animators!. 1000 Australians does not constitute Australian content?!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:58:42 AM by damian »

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
Re: Are you an animation student wishing to work in OZ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:16:02 AM »
That's absolutely horrible! Miller definitely has a point and it's rather narrow-minded of Whipp to assert that because the project is based on a franchise of American origin, it should not be allowed any incentive... when it could potentially be a heavily Australian production! Where's the Aussie film industry again? Way to go.

Gawd, when I'm more lucid, Ima write some (civil) letters. >:(
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »
It's disgusting to think that we're only meant to be working on 'true blue' type adventures in this country. People would think that we'd be branching out by now, wouldn't they?
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »
Its ridiculous to think that they are so unwilling to get behind JLA when it would do nothing but benefit the australian film industry. Pretty much what is going to happen is people are going to move overseas to work and the Aus Film Industry will lose out even more than it is right now..

And its not like Australia wouldnt be recognised for their contribution in the film anyway. Its not like New Zealand was misrepresented as some fantastical fantasy land when they filmed LOTR.. As it says in the article, its all gone uphill for them from there on in. Whereas this JLA business could cause AUS to go the other way.

*sigh* thats my rant
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:18:04 AM »
i forwarded my opinion to Mr Rudd  :)

...i want maccas....
:)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 02:39:23 PM »
Just got a letter today from the 'Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and Arts' (proof that Australia considers everything equal, but not worth as much cubicle space).

Basically it was a run off, telling me that the Australian Government couldn't do anything about this, it being the FCC's responsibility, and explaining the 'Producer Offset' in detail. Seems like there wasn't a win from the government with this one...

However, they did say that the FCC has changed its wording of the clause - saying that it must be satisfied with an Australia 'core origination'. While it states that it should be an incentive for people both from and not from Australia to make films here, it doesn't say anything about the film getting a go-ahead. So it looks like this one misses out for now...

Unless I've misunderstood it. He uses all sortsa big wurds and tings, I may darn'd not have unnerstud 'em.

But I think I got the general idea.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 03:06:48 PM »
yeah, i got a letter last week filled with the same kind of ramble
:)

Offline Jeebuz

• Just Jeebuz.
    • View Profile
    • Seraquin @ Deviantart!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:16:33 PM »
Maybe if the Justice league were fighting a drought causing bad guy... or maybe one of the super heroes left and became a farmer... or even make the bad dudes look like sheep...

What if the justice league were actually just little guys fighting the good fight against the big bad banks... who also looked like sheep... or roos?

Or maybe they could make it into a uber-drama where life goes into ruins and there is alot of crying, shouting and yelling at people whilst taking lots of drugs and running away from the police... in the middle of a drought... with sheep roos and...yeah... crocs!

Yeah. I'm onto something here...
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Unless its cool.