Author Topic: New Build  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Eddynator

• persistence is the key
    • View Profile
New Build
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:41:27 PM »
Hey guys , this is Eddy (first year).  Just wanting suggestions on what components are the best to build a new midrange workstation to practice or use 3D production software packages that are part of the course. (Maya, 3D max e.t.c). I intend on using the PLE editions first.
Here are my future specs:
Intel Dual core 8500 @ 3.2Ghz
3Gb DDR 2 800 - 1200mhz
ATI Fire GL V3400 - V3600( anything higher is too expensive!) - no Quaddro's (ATI fan)
500GB Sata HD
any SFF case.

I'm planning to have it by mid 2nd year, 3rd year when I earn up enough.

Is it good or really bad? 
Being bitten by a love bug and a smote bug at the same time is worse than instant death in a can

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: New Build
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »
Hi ho Eddy.
Being out of the loop for a while with computers may make me kinda unreliable, but I'll do my best.

It sounds rather powerful, at least to me (then again, as my computer is currently suffering from a virtual coma, a subway sandwich also looks rather powerful). 3 GB of RAM is definately a good choice, as RAM makes the world not only go round but also do something useful as it happens (sorry, I tend to ramble). Don't know if I would recommend the V3400, as to my knowledge it only comes in 128mb 256-bit, and I'd recommend something of more around 256mb. Also, are you sure it's SATA(1) that you're looking at for the HDD, not SATA II? Like Hages, I'd recommend Westen Digital brand-wise, but Seagate has also treated me rather well.

Any idea where you're buying from? If you're not quite sure, I'd say give www.cworld.com.au a go; they made my first computer, and it's currently the only one I own that is still working. Also, what would be your budget?
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:57:21 AM »
hang on hang on hang on!    The real question is   "What do u need it for?"

Intel Dual core 8500 @ 3.2Ghz

why not get the q6600?   it will render faster in maya, since it has more cores and costs the same

also  forget about overclocking      why u may ask?   well   when maya renders   it uses 100% of the cpu    not somthing like 20% in games     and say  3Dmark            also  iv have funny stuff happen with overclocking and heavy renders

3Gb DDR 2 800 - 1200mhz

I wouldnt get more then 2 gigs,    normally when u render in maya    u use about 1 gig for just rendering with maya open for most middle size scenes       also   try not to buy the cheap ram    get like corsair gaming eddition   special eddition rams or the like

ATI Fire GL V3400 - V3600( anything higher is too expensive!) - no Quaddro's (ATI fan)

This is probably a bad idea... since for starters is old technology     and its just not cost effective

lets say u get a Fire Gl for around $400    why not get a newer 8800gt?     it will push the polys realy well     and if u install the latest quadro drivers that support geforece cards   u wont realy know the difference

id rather give u my old geforce 6600   and for u to softquadro it    then for u to buy a fireGL

500GB Sata HD

Iv just put in a new 500gig backup drive in my pc   and it has all my files on it ect, but it doesnt have the operating system on it,  so if xp decides to go down,  I can just format the xp os harddrive   and get my pc up in an hr   and not muck around with data loss ect.    so yeh  think about getting a 200 gig for xp  and 500 gig scratch disk   or somthing like that        make sure that the hd's are newer ones,  since u can buy a 2005  hd if u dont know what to look for

------------

Also   2 vital components are missing     your motherboard and powersupply      your powersupply is one of the most importaint components    and most people cheep out on it    the same as the mb

have u already orded it? or u still deciding?

If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Eddynator

• persistence is the key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
The Mobo is anything from Asus Maxim Series or any mother board with latest chipset e.g P35, X38 , G33, AMD700 series. With one PCE-E slot preferrably because i'm trying to keep costs down.

Thanks Luke for letting me know that you could use gaming cards , that saves me alot of money because i have a HD3870 in my PC right now with a P5KC Mobo that supports DDR3 so i can use it in the meantime .I'm a gamer but i don't buy what i don't need because it wastes money, I research thoroughly first , In response i said i'll get it 2nd and 3rd year after finding out more about what you guy's use , I just another want a cheap workstation.

The powersupply will probably be around 400-800w from Corsair , Thermaltake( favourite!!).Zalman , Coolmaster.

HDD's will be SATA 2 from WD or Seagate which are good , but i like Samsungs because i've had one for two years and it has not failed me ounce.  Had one generic IDE HDD drive with XP that died so i'm abandoning that.

The processor recommendation is good I'll look into Quad cores especially the Q6600 which has gone down in price , I just didn't decide on that one because i thought the newer processors were faster or had new instructions that worked better with demanding applications. Also looking into the phenoms they don't look too bad and are cheap.
Looking into the Quadro F370 looks cheap but could be deceiving.

Any way buying one pice at a time to build.

thanks for you help guy's

Being bitten by a love bug and a smote bug at the same time is worse than instant death in a can

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »
Hey man.

If you're not going to be buying it for a while, there isn't much point committing to parts which will be obsolete by the time you get them. You don't need to spend big to get a decent workstation up and running. Including a screen, you could easy build something nice for under $1500. Just set a price-range, then once you hit it buy for best value.

Checkout Whirlpool.

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »
I'd Have to agree with good old Tex here.

Get the money first, by the time you get it 3/4 of the stuff you're considering would be obsolete.

And don't forget to take into account the cost of software; Maya Student ED costs around $500, along with the Adobe Suite somewhere around $1K. Without the software your machines just feels like its compensating for....
You don't want to go near a pirated ver of maya thats for sure, particularly when it decides to just... close, no message or anything, just you and your desktop, alot of tears and no tech support!
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »
Ah so it's a custom build your after? By the sounds of it your current PC should be able to do the job. Maybe post your current computer would give an indication of what you may/may not be upgrading from.

And i also fully agree with Luke's suggestion of getting a Quad Core. They blow the dual core's away in terms of rendering. Not to mention the multitasking power at your fingers when your bring any Adobe program into the equation.

3gb of system memory is good. Keep your important documents seperate from your main hard drive in the event as luke mentioned your system goes haywire and a reformat is required.

Graphics card is a while other issue. Your current ATI card should do just fine if your playing around and experimenting. Dont forget that if your worried about fast turn around of renders, the labs are getting about a dozen new machines that are outstanding (or so i've heard).

But if your a techno nut like some of us, just keep an eye out of what's coming up in new developments, and just build that budget so when it does come time to build your computer, it'll be a behemoth that screams RAWR!.
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline Eddynator

• persistence is the key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:09:24 AM »
Thanks guys
 i'll just earn up and wait

Offline sue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
about the software: adobe master collection student price is about $700.  maya student price (2008 super pack) of $245 is for maya unlimited for 14 months (see PamzOr's posts under Maya)  (for 3D i have decided to go with blender (open source) atm.)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:43:58 PM by sue »