Author Topic: Looking for a Quadro? ebay has 2  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
Looking for a Quadro? ebay has 2
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:58:40 PM »
i was browsing around ebay tonight and decided to look up some workstation graphics cards, specifically quadro's. Anyone interested in grabbing a quadro might want to check out these babies.

Nvidia Quadro FX5500 - $2995
Nvidia Quadro FX4500 - $800
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
Re: Looking for a Quadro? ebay has 2
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
Considering the price of those, i mose well get 2 HD2900XT cards and link them in crossfire mode.
Then i can set them to render the same frame twice and combine them for double antialising in renders!
That way i will also have 1gb gpu ram and a lot less load on one card.
But then again these were built for maya and may operate better than a gaming card.
Hmm, but then again i can't play games on a workstation card.
I'm so indecisive.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
If its fast renders your after, max out on RAM, then the CPU.

i agree with going with the crossfire option. i just checked the specs of the 2900 series, the only advantage with the quadro is if you want smooth realtime playback of your projects in the viewport without having to playblast them. although the boost in GPU if configured properly should increase your overall rendering speed. maybe hages could elaborate on the pros and cons of a workstation card.

2x HD2900XT's in crossfire looks sexy as. im an nvidia fan, so 2x8800 ultra's.

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 02:49:25 AM »
Iv got a quadro fx 3000     

and i wouldnt trade this card for an 8800gtx     only for another quadro

why you may ask?      have u guys heard of the SPECviewperf® 10 opengl benchmark program?

i havent dled v 10   but iv got the 9.5  (or whatever its called)   and i have no problem  (ok ok ok  with a lot of over clocking cooling  tweeking   experimenting   bsod    formating crashing reinstalling ect )   i can get about 40 fps in the maya benchmark     you can even dl  a benchmarking program that will run the benchmark through maya   and u can see what u get.

there are inbuilt limiters in the geforce cards, and stuff    so its hard to get the frame rates  (i think its locked on like 10 fps    but dont quote me)

also   one thing that i would never never never  live without...  is antialiasing in wireframe   and the hardware shadows and other little good things that i love with the quadro

but    each to there own i guess      but if i had 5 grand    i would buy this computer off ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HP-xw8200-Dual-Xeon-EM64T-3-6Ghz-Workstation_W0QQitemZ300116662702QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1486QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but  each to there own...   

If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
holy crap when did that workstation pop up on ebay. that system looks dam good. i would buy another 2 500gb hard drives to expand potential storage of future projects and of course all those uncompressed frames of animation. it would probably be a smart decision to get another 2 500gbs for a raid solution. you'd be pretty screwed if a terabyte suddenly vanished with a years worth of renders and work. cheers for the input Luke, i've been tossing between how the two cards differ. it seems liable now to save and buy a quadro, although holding out for something like the workstation you mentioned would be bloody fantastic. i'm sure any multimedia and animation even proddie students would be over the moon if the lab was filled with a machine like this. although for a system you can get for $5k on ebay, i'm the next lab upgrade will be huge., perhaps Dual Quadro's and Quad Cores? *wink* *wink*