Author Topic: Vista's Ripple Effects Annoying You?  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
Vista's Ripple Effects Annoying You?
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
Hello boys and girls,
Just say, you're using windows vista or win7(beta) and you're using a wacom, drawing something and you're trying to do repetitive motions and that annoying ripple seems to make ur cursor lag and create a rather large annoyance? Well, i finally got fed up with it today and decided i'd fix it forever! Googles magic helped me find this forum:
Click Here To Learn How To Kill The Ripple Effect :D
and for those who are just too lazy to click the link and load a new page, i'll just paste the post here...

I use an Intuos Wacom Tablet in Photoshop CS4 x64, and I've been driven crazy by an animated ring that appears when I touch the pen tip to a menu or slider. It made my movements much less precise. E.g. when I tried to drag a slider a short distance (say, 100% opacity to 95%), the pen wouldn't grab the slider at first; and then it would make much too big an adjustment (100% to 50%...).

I've now tracked down the solution, posted on the EU Wacom forum 2 days ago: View topic - small annoying things on vista...

Here's what it says:

"Vista has the 'pen inking' from XP TabletPC edition integrated, allowing gesture and handwriting recognition. You can control the settings in a special control panel for this, called 'TabletPC Input' panel. [Pen and Touch, W7.]
*Disable 'Press and Hold' to remove that circle.*

"You could also disable the service 'TabletPC Input Service' or go to device manager, select Human Interface Devices' and disable WacomVirtualHID.*

"Then Vista does not see a pen devices and will not activate those features. The tablet will still work fine on desktop and in usual pressure sensitive applications."

I had already disabled the tablet PC in Services, but apparently that wasn't enough. I disabled Press & Hold, and the ring has vanished.

This is probably well known to Wacom/Photoshop users who migrated to Windows 7 from Vista, but I migrated from XPPro, and the info was tolerably hard to find online, so I'm posting it here in case anyone finds it useful.
:)

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Vista's Ripple Effects Annoying You?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:16:12 AM »
Good old Google!

Offline Bridgey-Didge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
This problem was SOOOOO Annoying!!!! >_< I have spent nearly all night getting cranky at that stupid pen ripple in photoshop!! Its ridiculously disruptive and makes even simple tasks like doing dots and lots of small lines lag because it makes that STUPID ripple!!! >_<

After reading the above advice, and not really getting it- James and I found another way of disabling it!

Go to Control Panel- Pen and Input devices, Pointer options- and untick them ALL!!! :D Also, click 'press and hold, Right Click' and untick the box. Goodbye annoying ripple!
I also got rid of flicks- because they are annoying too!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:57:24 PM by Bridgey-Didge »

Offline Pamz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »
Also if you go into your control panel>system and then search for "Tablet PC" and then disable this option- it will go away! BUT...
I've also found that with windows 7 each time you reconnect your wacom or restart your computer the problem comes back again.
so what i did to battle this is just put "System" as a shortcut on my desktop so next time i plug my wacom in i dont have to stuff around working out where to go :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:43:26 AM by Pamz0r »

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
KK so I know this is an old thread and problem but I had this trouble again recently running Windows 7 Ultimate and it wouldn't go away with the aforementioned techniques, hugely stressful... Anyhow, more googling and here is a solution that works for Windows 7;

Press start and search for services.msc
Run it
Scroll down to 'Tablet PC Input Services'
Right click on it and hit properties, change startup type to 'Disabled'
Hit ok
Right click on it and hit 'Stop'

One day windows will stop pretending to be a mac and we'll all be a lot happier...

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Pamz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
also Mr Roho, i have discovered that Photoshop cs5 has put a stop to the ripple effect! :D
it still happens when you're scrolling around, but is nowhere near as annoying anymore!