Author Topic: Intel and Epic Launch $1 Million Intel Make Something Unreal Contest  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
Man im exited   this is AWESOME!

From epic games site

intel and Epic have teamed up to commence an all-new mod competition, the "$1 Million Make Something Unreal Contest," with winnings – including cash, hardware and even an Unreal Engine 3 license – exceeding $1 million. The contest will be judged in four preliminary phases starting in June 2008 and culminate with a grand final in fall 2009. Aspiring game developers will enter by creating mods for the PC version of Unreal Tournament 3 in a wide range of categories including environments, characters, weapons, gameplay, tools, vehicles and more. Mod-makers will use the same world-class Unreal Engine 3 toolset used to create Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War.

go here http://www.makesomethingunreal.com/

I dont know much about deadlines as of such    but im considering through the mid year holidays doing a 1 month 'crunch' session to get an unreal 3 mod      mainly probably replacing characters and making the levels and making pretty spec maps ect

I already have a level from 206 last year that i did for ut2004   which could be a good starting point to put story and bad guys that jump out and make you screeeeem!

Just because im overenthusiastic and stuff... I would like to work (in the holls) with people willing to collaborate on any modeling/texturing/uvering/map ideas.    Basically stuff like    we have a 4 legged crab that is going to replace the 4 legged crab in ut3 which attacks you and makes u die!    um...   work like if someone wanted to do concepts   another do a model (nothing insain   ala mudbox 1 mill + ...) and another does uv   and texturing      and Ill cope with the technical CRAP like rigging so that everything works with UT ok.

Yes... im trying to avoid animation and Maya render times...     (hugs 8800gt)

I like the idea of giving out small amounts of work     that takes about 10 or so hrs to do   just to keep everyone busy thought the break

People interested?  yes?  no?            add me on msn    swodifh@hotmail.com

note: Im in lockdown for 3 weeks since uni is still on (as everyone knows)   but after that     MODERATION WILL COMMENCE!

:D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:13:35 AM by Luke »
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline John

• View Profile
I'm totally entering the spanner mod i made for UT2003. The inspiration was from the gumby skin. I figured i could make something way more half-arsed than that ;)

Call me cynical, but what do they get out of a competition like that? It's not like there's any shortage of unreal mods, or wavering interest in the unreal series...

Sounds totally sweet though. Be sure to keep thread updated.

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
It's not like there's any shortage of unreal mods, or wavering interest in the unreal series...

True

however  most mods that i have played for ut2k4 (i havent purchased u3...  If i did i would be editing all day and not doing other stuff...)   have one main problem    they are generally too big for one or a couple of people to work on    and therefore end up having lots of problems. They may be cool and everyone may play the map    even if they are crap to look at...

like Iceworld in css...   its like a room with 6 walls and a tank in the middle where u go down to get nades and to plant the bomb ect
But everyone playes it    but people may not play an epic map that has lots of defects.

Last year (for mpi206) I made an unreal map called "Mandable"

Here is the thread
http://wvpa-mm-serv.riv.csu.edu.au/forum/index.php/topic,215.0.html

Here is the download for the map: http://files.filefront.com/DM+Mandableut2/;7784512;/fileinfo.html

It may not be very visually apealing (ie   static meshes everywhere)   but it does have a heavy investment into optomisation and game play with spawn points and bot paths that work well

ultimatly, the adaption to u3 should be easy since most of the tech has been done   just needs every meter to be checked (again) and needs to be play tested ect ect ect

Note:  i havent checked this since last year    and dont know its operation status

Maybe Tex u can see if it workes in u3 (if u have it) in your spare time

Do u remember the utk4 mod where chreachers kept coming at u in the map    and every level it goes up more and more come   and eventually u are overwealmed and die?

forget what its called    but it would be cool do do now   since u could port (well i think u can...) all the bots from u3  and also gears of war    and have a massive blood bath in the map!

Call me cynical, but what do they get out of a competition like that?

well cash comes and goes...

but ultimatly   if u do win, or come close   its more about recognition and the ability to try to do cool stuff   and u can say that u have entered   and say if 200 people dl the mod and some people give u feedback  then it is probably worth it

just look at what the 1 million comp did back in 04 for Red Orchestra:

"
The last “$1 Million Make Something Unreal Contest” catapulted World War II shooter Red Orchestra to fame. Its development team, Tripwire Interactive, was awarded the grand prize, an Unreal Engine 3 license, for overall Best Mod and throughout the contest earned nearly $80,000 in cash and computer hardware prizes. Red Orchestra was later shipped to retail outlets worldwide.

If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'