Author Topic: pictures won't go onto my models  (Read 7007 times)

Offline sue

• View Profile
pictures won't go onto my models
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »
i spent several fruitless and frustrating hours last night in the lab trying to put images onto my models.  these are polygon models made in blender and exported as .obj files.  being inexperienced with texturing in maya i kept searching for some other little box i should tick or untick.  eventually i just tried making planes and spheres etc in maya and trying to put pictures onto them, which worked ok.  then i tried converting my models to nurbs and subdivs and the images went on in some sort of way.  then i tried converting back to polys and the images went on, but after multiple conversions the polys weren't the same as the original ones.  could it be that my original models have no UVs? (this finally occurred to me as i was driving home.) if they haven't, how do i get maya to generate some? i have posted one of my models at http://csusap.csu.edu.au/~shardi01/mpi306/sarah.mb if someone knowledgeable can find time to have a look and see whether my suspicions are correct. thanks.

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
Re: pictures won't go onto my models
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »
could we get the textures you want put on the model?
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline sue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:47:16 AM »
any picture will do for a test - the models are the problem

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
This model has no UV's which would explain why the textures aren't 'working' or not showing properly, so you are correct. However you cant simply 'generate' UV's in Maya which dont require dicking around to properly utilize. For a cheap 'dirty' UV you could always try using simply an automatic map, cylindrical map or a sphere map which you can find under the Create UV's menu. However to get UV's that you can Properly use and that have some resemblance of the model there is no quick way about it.
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline sue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
many thanks for your help.  i think simple ones will probably work, because my shapes are so simple.  this seems to be another problem with trying to export .obj files from blender - although i tell it to include uvs, if i import the .obj file back into blender the pictures won't go on properly the way they did before.  (the other problem i have found is that i have to export all the separate parts of my models as separate .obj files, or when i import them into maya they all become one object and cannot be selected separately.  i guess i'm just destined to hassle around with trying to do projects in more than one 3D application.  it reminds me of a few years ago, helping to move a half-done project from 3dsmax to maya...)

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:42:37 AM »
it is why it is best to choose a single 3d program and stick with it for the duration of the project; in this situation a single asset, such as your character, if it is being modelled in blender, it should be UVed and animated in blender and so on for other programs. This saves time dicking around with problems such as the one you are facing right now. As for preserving Uv's between blender and Maya, unless there is a specific plugin that allows you to preserve the Uv's going between the two programs i dont think it will be possible to conserve the Uvs.

Offline ELGATO

• Robbie !! I know who loves you.... its Al :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 09:21:09 AM »
Check out digital tutors tutorial on UV mapping its great and teaches you everything you need to know to create great UV maps.
http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=88&cat=52&page=1
()__()
 o . O
( >< )
  ___

Offline sue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »
i kind of think it should be ok to make models in one application and use them in others - who wants to keep remaking the same models?  when i was moving models from 3dsmax to maya i found out about Deep Exploration (supports many file formats), which helped a lot (i.e. made it possible).  you can get a 30-day free trial from righthemisphere.com
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 04:20:11 PM by sue »

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:06:57 AM »
even so, you will probably find in a production environment, they use only one program so there is a standard.

Offline sue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 10:21:41 PM »
happy to report that after creating uvs and appropriate tweaking values i got pictures going on the models.  necessary to parent the place-texture node to the model so that it moves with the model.

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »
dont forget to also delete the object history.