Author Topic: Games Games Games  (Read 21792 times)

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
Re: Games Games Games
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2007, 10:17:31 AM »
well... that does make sense... gears of war is a good game too.
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeebuz

• Just Jeebuz.
    • View Profile
    • Seraquin @ Deviantart!
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2007, 11:47:42 AM »
Okay, I am a HUGE Lucasarts Adventure game fanatic; especially Monkey Island, my favorite videogame series of all time. Anyone wants to talk about these, please, contact me immediately.

Classic lucasarts (Curse of monkey island, Day of the Tentacle, Outlaws, Dark forces, Jedi Knight, GRIM FANDANGO, Sam and Max, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter) rocks! However when they teamed up with pandemic to produce Battlefront, I was very dissapointed (especially considering that Pandemic made Battlezone 1 and 2 which all in all are pretty innovative games)

Battlefront II went on to be a complete let down, playing too much like a console game in fast forward, and Empire at war had a couple of features that were cool, but let down by the overall chunky interface of the land battles.

I have to admit, I love the fact that Empire at war has a multiplayer campaign mode. It gets extra points just for that. And its an RTS campaign, not turn based, extra points. Also the fact that the game went for both land and space battles makes it innovative by itself. With abit more streamlining the game could have been gold. Sadly it's still a little chunky.

Really that could be said for most recent Lucasarts games. Take Knights of the Old republic 2. Number one was great fun. Number two felt rushed (Which it turns out it was) Story arcs that dont quite arc, entire planets removed due to cuts in production time.

I hate games companies that rush things. Anyone play Dungeon Lords? Now that was a rushed game!
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Unless its cool.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »
I'm a bit of a final fantasy fan.. although even tho i didn't mind x-2 i must admit its kinda killed the fan-girl in me... i'm just not a fan of the whole chapter thing and I've heard they've continued it in 12... they had such a good thing going why did they feel the need to "improve" it? my blame rests on enix.. if only squaresoft hadn't bothered with the first movie i bet they never would of started this whole chapters thing... >:(

I doubt it's Enix's fault; after all, they originally owned Dragon Quest and they didn't do the same thing with them (unless you include the Slime based game on DS), and anyway, they're showing A LOT of support for the DS; the FFXII 'sequel' is going to be released on the DS, so at least it's not going to be completely the same, and Dragon Quest series is being continued exclusively on the DS. They've also shown a lot of interest in the Wii, so they may be the shining RPG beacon for us Nintendo fans...
Also, has anyone else heard that FFXIII isn't going to be PS3 exclusive? A gutsy move by Square-Enix... Apparently a lot of Sony fans are in an uproar...
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »
yeah... i think square realizes.. more people will by a 500 dollar console and a 100 dollar game (360) than buy a 1000 dollar console for a 100 dollar game.

A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2007, 02:42:58 PM »
Gears is an awesome game.

But classic Lucas Arts games r just awesome. I recently acquired Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 for a good $10.

One of my proudest moments (iv been looking 4 that game 4 close on 8yrs.
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline Ammon

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2007, 03:20:41 PM »
Too right Gears is awesome. I love the look of the game and the game play its self is pretty unique !!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit - A wise man does not urinate against the wind

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2007, 12:21:44 AM »
But classic Lucas Arts games r just awesome. I recently acquired Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 for a good $10.

One of my proudest moments (iv been looking 4 that game 4 close on 8yrs.

Ah, Jedi Knight was my introduction to first person shooter games. I can remember going into Jedi Speed and having the whole scene warp back towards me, God that was cool. I also liked the extensions, though academy, for all its awesome fighting scenes, and the integration of two and dual-end lightsaber, kinda felt like a disappointment.
Man, it'd be awesome if they continued that series now; what with the advances in technology and physics and all.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »
Man, it'd be awesome if they continued that series now; what with the advances in technology and physics and all.

Yeh it was my intro to FPS as well.

I have no idea if theyr planning 4 more JK games, seems inevitable really..

But they have got a game in the works for the end of this yr on PS3 and 360 (and DS + PSP) - 'The Force Unleashed'. One of their many 'big things' for the 30th Anniversary of SW. I dunno if u know anything bout the game, but 4 those who dont theyr focusing more on getting the force powers u can use to sumwat represent wat they do in the films. The story line is set in between Eps III & IV, and u play as Vader's "secret" apprentice.

And they're using LucasArts schmancy new 'Euphoria Engine' for the physics of the whole thing.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/objects/823/823667.html

So really u could call this the next JK, or at least this would b like wat JK4 would b like.

http://au.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/823/823667/vids_1.html (watch the pre-vis video, its prty much the idea of what they want in the game)
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »
Wow... that game just looks like an excuse to torture Stormtroopers... I mean, they give them everything so they can 'feel' it, and have a sense of self-preservation? Aren't these guys meant to be PROTECTING the galaxy?
It just seems to put more fun into killing them, instead of, you know, fighting them or anything.

And now... this!

Offline cheeseninja2002

• Got a problem? Point a gun at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »
w00t!! more screenies and Information on HL2 Episode 2 have just been released =3: screenies1 and 2
gah, I can never get enough of HL, seeing these makes me tingle in my jibblets.
Release date is still 3rd quarter of 07 =(  at least its fast aproaching (but not fast enough *waves fists*).
True happiness is the realization of its presence, not its absence.

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
i would just be happy with another fear patch  :(   
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline cheeseninja2002

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »
I'd thought you'd be happier with a FEAR 2 release date =D

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2007, 10:21:43 PM »
no    I bet they mess fear up     like put cars, boats, tank and other stuff...    like what can an ASP (sniper) do against a tank :S
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2007, 10:31:09 PM »
no    I bet they mess fear up     like put cars, boats, tank and other stuff...    like what can an ASP (sniper) do against a tank :S

Dent it? I mean, that's pretty annoying and all, just got your new tank, looking all nice, physics are working amazingly, and bam! Someone gets a sniper bullet, on the bonnet (or whatever it is on a tank), right where it shows.

Besides, I always thought that F.E.A.R was more of an inside environments game. How the hell would stuff like tanks work?

In relevant to the topic news, I've been playing through the old Fallout games. Anyone else remember those retro post-nuclear turn based RPGs? The S.P.E.C.I.A.L system was daunting to me at first, but now I've really gotten used to its functions...

And now... this!

Offline cheeseninja2002

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »

man they won't mess it up by putting in cars and things... they'll just nerf unarmed ALOT *shakes fists*, put in a cool LAZER that is RED!!, make more character models and re-create refinery so that it lags MORE in DM.
That and remove the asp cause no1 uses it =D