Author Topic: Science Geek Stuff  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
Science Geek Stuff
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »
Well, Im a Science nerd, I subscribe to New Scientist amongst other things, and well, this sort of has to do with all of yuo, as we know how annoying wired things are these days.

Scientists light bulb with "wireless electricity" 

BEIJING, June 8 (Xinhuanet) -- Scientists may have signaled an end to electric cords and batteries when they lit a 60-watt light bulb from a power source seven feet away without using a physical connection. The researchers have named their concept "WiTricity" as in "wireless electricity."

MIT physicist Marin Soljacic started thinking years ago about how to transmit power wirelessly so his cell phone could recharge without ever being plugged in.

The problem with wireless power transmission is that broadcasting energy in all directions can be very wasteful because a vast majority of power ends up being squandered into free space.

Soljacic and his colleagues devised WiTricity based on resonance. Two objects resonating at the same frequency tend to exchange energy efficiently, while interacting weakly with objects not resonating at the same frequency.

Instead of sound, the MIT physicists focused on magnetic fields. Most common materials interact only very weakly with magnetic fields, so little power would get wasted on unintended targets.

"The fact that magnetic fields interact so weakly with biological organisms is also important for safety considerations," said Soljacic's colleague, MIT physicist Andre Kurs.

The scientists designed two copper coils roughly 20 inches in diameter that were specially designed to resonate together. One was attached to the power source, the other to a light bulb. The practical demonstration of their earlier theoretical work managed to power the light bulb even when obstacles blocked direct line of sight between the source and device, findings detailed online June 7 in the journal Science.

The researchers demonstrated roughly 40 percent efficiency in power transfer. Kurs told LiveScience they are currently working on improving the efficiency of the power transfer as well as the maximum distance allowed.

"For the moment, we are focusing on power transfers on the order of 100 watts although, in principle, more power could be transferred," he added.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-06/08/content_6215681.htm[/quote]

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: Science Geek Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
Sounds an interesting idea, but that would mean a complete reform of our power system, wouldn't it? While I can see it perhaps happening, it'd take several years to get there, especially if 100 watts is currently what they're working with, especially if there's apparently only a 40& efficiency in its working... but still, interesting.
That, and I don't know how much I'd trust these 'magnetic fields', though I probably walk through similar things every day without even knowing it.
*Sigh* I should learn more before commenting...
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »
WOW Imagine if you could make some kids braces vibrate at the right frequency INSTANT ELECTRIC CHAIR MOUTH :D
OOOH OR you know whoes with lights in them? HOW ABOOT lights with different frequencies so that in nightclubs or something certain power sources light up certain lights, so you CHANGE with the area of the club, ZOMG I LOVE WiTRICITY! :O
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »
WOW Imagine if you could make some kids braces vibrate at the right frequency INSTANT ELECTRIC CHAIR MOUTH :D

... You are awfully morbid today, aren't you?
(See here:http://wvpa-mm-serv.riv.csu.edu.au/forum/index.php/topic,284.msg3458.html#msg3458)
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:16:35 PM »
hmm I may be morbid but at the same time watching the scrubs muscial episode...does that balance out?
Lol not to mention that I said whoes instead of shoes...woops

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »
i studied up on this a bit , cos i found it intriuging............

it turns out , that this design was infact not original and was first designed and put to light by a guy named nicolai tesla. he attributed greatly to almost every different electro-technology we have today , and was said to be the real genius , edison being nothing in comparison.
it was in fact 100 years ago that this technology came about ,

Tesla culminated his efforts in a major breakthrough in 1899 at Colorado Springs by transmitting 100 million volts of high-frequency electric power wirelessly over a distance of 26 miles at which he lit up a bank of 200 light bulbs and ran one electric motor! With this souped up version of his Tesla coil, Tesla claimed that only 5% of the transmitted energy was lost in the process.  his project of broadcasting electric power in almost unlimited amounts to any point on the globe. The method he would use to produce this wireless power was to employ the earth's own resonance with its specific vibrational frequency to conduct AC electricity via a large electric oscillator.

of course this was far more inefficient , and probbably morre dangerous but thats not the point.
for starters this field was spread in every direction using the air and earth as a medium of frequency.

but why did this genius plan not come to fruition at this time.....
it is said that government "sat on" tesla's plans and did not allow for this scientific breakthrough to continue.
and that the main reason this technology would never make it "mainstream" is purely for a money reason!
How do you make money from something that is sent through the air.......

there is much debate about the fact MIT has come out with this document saying a breakthrough in technology , and many books to be read to fully understand the relation ship between MIT's work and tesla's,

but i find it freakin amazing that even 100 years ago , we had the ability to send electricity wirelessly ! it truly makes you think , what other technologies have been taken away from public viewing , technologies that could amaze and devestate!

P.s. and in response to alexs question about not trusting electro magnetic frequencies flying around everywhere...... clearly they would not choose the alike frequencies of the emitting objects to be that of something that would harm us(to use an analogy when an opera singer sings a pitch that is at the same vibrating frequency of that of glass, it shatters) ...... BUT!!! in tesla's time of working , he said that with the right frequency , the right amount of electricity , and the right amount of money , he could split the earth in 2!!!!
how scary is that (although nearly impossible considering the enormity of it all) and these and similar technologies are being used to create weaponry today .................. is this the new age of warfare? imagine a war when all that you need to kill a mass amount of people , is a transmittor ...... scary stuff (BUT REALLY COOL)  8)

now how nerdy do i feel  ;D

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 10:15:23 AM »
There's a car that runs on compressed air. It was on TV 2 years ago. Never knew what happened to it.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 02:59:22 PM »
Bah I reckon they should make an engine that runs on puppy tears, that seems like a sustainable resource

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 03:09:44 PM »
Bah I reckon they should make an engine that runs on puppy tears, that seems like a sustainable resource

What, and divide the resources between that and the chains of restaurants that could use them in soup? That's a bad business decision there...

And now... this!

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »
I thought the soup chains used the tears of orphans with lisps and overly large eyes?