Author Topic: Post-Animation Festival  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Post-Animation Festival
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:19:10 PM »
And it was on this day, Sunday the 20th of May, in the year of 2007, that the Australian International Animation Festival of Wagga Wagga, ended.

And what did people think of it?

Personally, I enjoyed it immensely. Many of the films were entertaining and inspiring, some horridly less so, but the opportunity to see so many films that otherwise I would've been completely deprived of definitely made the entire weekend worthwhile.
My pick of the festival was, to go with something predictable, the glass-painted Russian (I assume) animated film. Though I can't remember its actual name, nor its creator (yeah, I'm horrible like that), it was the most inspiring thing I could've hoped to see; after all, how often do you see an animation where every frame could be considered a work of art?
Also enjoyable were the workshops, which were nicely informative (as, you know, you'd expect). >_>

A big thanks to Andrew, Damian, Forum 6 ect ect for putting on the festival.
[/praising rant] :)
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
Re: Post-Animation Festival
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 02:56:52 AM »
it didn't end... it went on until about 1:30 am Monday morning.. im thoroughly ashamed... where was everyone.. 3 third years and 1 first year and lots of booze... and I had to drink it all... wtf?!

not to mention there was so much learning you could have done over a couple drinks and dinner.. serious guys you missed out... not to mention a helmet we gave to add to Malcolm's collection that YOU could have signed and you missed out on brownie points for animations that you might submit to MIAF etc... and not to mention comments about said helmet, loss of virginity and alter boys.. though thats a story you might have to ask of me, pete, jim or hages.. heh. anyway.. for shame!

good weekend but.
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:36:55 AM »
Some of us live on campus and would have a rather long walk indeed were it not for scabbing lifts of certain Maya winning people *shakes fist* hehe, Im sorry that I missed the extra stuff tho, but thems the breaks I suppose...le sigh
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline Tara♫

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »
I agree with Atcote.. I personally loved it.. i wish i had gone to all the previous ones now... although i must admit there where some painful animations most of them where very inspiring..

as far as a pick of the festival i did enjoy the glass-painted animation as well plus the digital panorama. i was also quite impressed with the Australian panorama as well. the workshops where very enjoyable and i was very happy to finally see some of hages work...

So yes.. def big thanks to Andrew Damian Malcolm and everyone else involved for organising it :D
(\ /)
(. .)
c(")(")

"ビー・マイ・エスケイプ"

Offline Jeebuz

• Just Jeebuz.
    • View Profile
    • Seraquin @ Deviantart!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 10:45:23 AM »
I thought the entire weekend, kids show to final Roger Ramjet/Jib Jab etc was great. There were some animations that made me grind my teeth and others that made me grin but otherwise I've gotta say "Lost in the snow" was my fave. Kicking the hole in the ice like a puck? Love it.

Strangest point of the night- randomly being given army uniforms by someone who makes guitar amps who just happened to have some twenty odd on the back of his bike.

?!?

(Also the after party was cool, but I'm not sure if there was much more room in the Cafe! )
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Unless its cool.

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
On the whole I love the animation festival and it is to extrordinary lengths that hages, damian and malcomn have gone to make it happen and that must really be commended. However there is one little niggling thing that always makes me writhe a bit in my seat.

Obviously there is some animations that are so good they need repeating across multiple screenings, but I would think that given the awesomness of the full-festival-pass the repeat should be kept to a minimum. It was this year more than previously that I noticed things repeated throughout seperate screenings. I would imagine that with 2000 odd submissions I believe was mentioned it would probably be more awesome to see into that wide range of submissions and have some of them get the opportunity to screen rather than repeat stuff. I know, what a stupid little thing to pick up on, but i dunno, it just erked me...

Regardless I had an awesome weekend, general quality on show was superb and definately have come out of it with some inspiration, which is great for my current case of artists-block. Anywaysssss... Loved it, and job defiately well done.

And to the forum 6, f*** yeah, best venue so far by a great distance.

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
Twas an awesome festival indeed. Full of the crazy wonderfulness which is animation. Huge thanx 2 Hages, Damian and Malcom (and all those others) who put so much time into making it happen.

Also a big thanx 2 those ppl (u know who u r) that were man (or woman) enuf 2 suit  up wit me ;D

And the half price coffee's were an ingenious idea...

Great weekend...
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 02:55:37 PM »
 ;D as i know allfirst years would agree , this massive occasion has been such an awesome experience for those of us just starting out! it has been so inspiring to see all of the worlds best , student works , and works from our lecturers :P
It was really awesome to see our lecturers work , and make us hold that crazy bit more respect for them!
and it was awesome to see animations that , without this festival wed NEVER have the chance to see.

this weekend we have had the biggest chance to mingle with animators across all of the years and i really think it has been one of the best weekends since being at uni !!

i will definantly be buying the full pass again and again as this freakin awesome festival comes to town :)

p.s. and suiting up was just awesome......................but we didnt get photos.....................Doh'

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 05:24:52 PM »
Yes.. I think this festival was great.. Forum 6 chairs where WAY more comfy then the playhouse.
I think the whole festival was better.. the line up of films where generally more interesting, intriguing and diverse. Looking back on the program, I wish I could remember them more, I thought of making notes etc on ones that were inspiring so I would remember but... the names aren't jogging my memory too well. Looking over the program ones that I think deserve mention that I can remember are "The post It Prison" (great concept!), "The crown", "Endangered Species" (long but held interest, even after watching it twice.) "Fraught" (I wish I could have made the talk..) "Come Rain or Shine", and "Doll Face" (very impressive).

Big round of applause once again to the people who made it happen, especially to Hages, Malcolm and Damien!!!

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
The weekend was indeed a fine one. There were quite a many enjoyable animations, good company and comfy seats! The workshops were fairly informative and it was great to see the process behind pieces. By far the animations that stick most in mind are 'Journey To The Disney Vault', the Russian oil-paint-on-glass animation, and (due to it's uncanny likeness conceptually) the one containing a guy with an exploding head. Each very different, but all delivering their purposes effectively.

It's been done and said countless times, but the gratitude towards Hages, Damian and Malcolm is definitely well deserved. So thank you Andrew, Damian and Malcolm (and the other help) for all the work you guys put into the festival!

Can't wait till next year.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
we gave malcolm a hat.

anyway, i think for the next one if we get some support and sponsors etc so forth, we should try make one of the events.. even if its just the launch and or the after party 'black tie'. That would be sweet.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:27:05 PM by MultimediaMan »

Offline Ormannov

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 10:54:14 PM »
A shared sentiment, the festival was amazing, that what I saw.
I think all the screened animations where fantastic, it gives an appreciation for each artists individual and specific visual aesthetic, some not as “refined” as others, yet just as interesting.
Again as above, cheers Hages, Damien and Malcolm for their involvement and organisation of the festival.
This forum has all the charm and charisma of the Nuremberg Trials.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 12:47:30 AM »
its amazing the person we clapped loudest for, Krys, Chris or whatever is the least mentioned here, so HURRAH Chris/Kris/krys :D
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline MultimediaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 12:51:58 AM »
well yeah, he made it possible for us to be there...

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 11:37:14 PM »
That was one of my best weekends since getting to Wagga! (yes... better than getting drunk!!)
There were soooo many great things shown.

Getting to see the SIGGRAPH highlights was awesome; although having seen it more than once now A Date In Hell is really not sticking - seems to be getting too close to a Shrek/Dreamworks style for my liking. The film 458nm (I think) about the bionic snails was absolutely crazy... LOVED IT!

Fraught was an awesome piece - loving the multitude of styles and especially enjoyed the style they used for the ex-wife story. Journey To The Disney Vault definately lived up to Hages' hype - very amusing. The Lecture seemed to give insight into the private lives of many of our lecturers (I reckon anyways!!! HAHA! :P) and who can forget Endangered Species which was a really clever piece that took a realistic and critical look at animation through the ages!!

And not to forget of course; one of my other highlights... Getting to watch a whole heap of Ub Iwerks films on a big screen. That sort of oppurtunity is very rare. LOVED IT!

Add to that some awesome workshops; Hages' one was especially good because we finally saw some of his stuff!! But yeah... Awesome weekend and massive kudos to all those that arranged it!