Author Topic: Building My Own PC  (Read 8226 times)

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
Building My Own PC
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
I get frequent casual work so i can afford to buy computer components every now and then.

I am really interested in gradually building a pc that will be ready by next year so i can use Maya and CS3 really efficiently on it.

I got advice from Luke that i should buy all of the components at once because direct X 10 stuff will be out soon.
But he also told me not to build it myself at all because i'll run into a lot of problems.

Is there any advice you could give me or websites with up to date build it yourself computer lists? so i know what matches with what etc.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: Building My Own PC
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:50:07 PM »
www.cworld.com.au is my favorite place for making customized builds. They made my first custom computer and it's still running well, with all the original components. Even if you don't get it from there, it's still a good place to ring up prices and compare with where-ever you're getting your stuff.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 01:07:31 AM »
most people that build their own pc's from custom parts do so because they are either hardcore geeks, or are just really into getting the most out of their computer.  either way you pretty much need to research the s*** out of every part of the pc.  i did this many many years ago when i built my own pc.  i forget most of the sites i frequented to do this, but one i can still remember is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/

they have heaps of professional, in-depth, and unbiased reviews of lots of hardware and alike.

i also went to loads of aussie pc store websites with build it yourself thingos to get a decent grasp of pricing and what is compatible with what.  youll be able to find loads of these at:

http://www.staticice.com.au/
and
http://www.shopbot.com.au/

basically they are a price and comparison searcher of hardware parts (shopbot has everything, not just pc parts) from online stores all over australia.  its a good way to quickly find who has what for how much, plus it gave me links to stores with those build it yourself thingos i mentioned earlier.  you can save heaps by using these, when i bought my pc parts i had my big list of parts i wanted, and searched for them all individually.  from that i worked out the best value for money way of buying them - which i think was from 2 or 3 separate stores across the country, and i then got my parts couriered to me in 3 different packages.

also, when you think you have it all worked out what parts you want, join up (even if its temporarily) to some nerdy forum and start a thread asking about your list, and if these uber geeks have any suggestions and stuff.  i havnt used any since i made my pc, but im pretty sure i was on these:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/
and
http://forums.razortrader.com.au/

phew, that was epic!  hope ive helped

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 01:11:33 AM »
i forgot to add, if your not confident in building it yourself once youve got all your parts (haha looking back i really shouldnt have been building mine...) most pc stores will build it for you if you provide the parts for a labor fee of like 40 or so bucks i think

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:00:02 AM »
Yea you've helped heaps, thanks!
We don't really have much UBER geeks in our course.
I was thinking of just saving up to buy an Autodesk approved workstation.
But it'll be more fun building one myself.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 12:05:35 AM »
i recommend

PCQUEST

MSY TECHNOLOGIES

Pcquest i've found to be the best. They kept me up-to-date about my order and will even order in parts they are out of stock on, usually every 3 days i think. Very reliable. MSY you'll have to take a trip to their shop since they are more of a mall shop than an online business, customer service over the phone was a bit of a pain however. always good to know someone in sydney who can go and grab the gear.
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 02:26:08 AM »
is msy that crazy joint that is really unorganised, has poor customer service, but yet has mountains of the cheapest prices on pc gear around?  ive heard stories of people lining up outside before open just to get a sweet deal...

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »
i recommend

PCQUEST

MSY TECHNOLOGIES

Pcquest i've found to be the best. They kept me up-to-date about my order and will even order in parts they are out of stock on, usually every 3 days i think. Very reliable. MSY you'll have to take a trip to their shop since they are more of a mall shop than an online business, customer service over the phone was a bit of a pain however. always good to know someone in sydney who can go and grab the gear.

MSY link is the worst website i have ever seen..
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:40:32 AM »
yopu think the website is bad, you should check out there laptop price list, if anyone can make sense of it then they desrve some sort of award. I dunno maybe join an archaelogical team as a cryptographer or some such bollocks.

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 11:57:51 PM »
is msy that crazy joint that is really unorganised, has poor customer service, but yet has mountains of the cheapest prices on pc gear around?  ive heard stories of people lining up outside before open just to get a sweet deal...

yep, haven't been there myself but when i ordered my graphics card from there, my friend said there was a HUGE lineup in the mall. but i'd rather save a few 100's.
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
www.simline.com.au - warehouse in western australia
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline Ormannov

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »
another online pc hardware store http://www.hboutlet.com.au

and another http://www.apus.com.au/newhome.php
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 11:48:19 PM by Ormannov »
This forum has all the charm and charisma of the Nuremberg Trials.

Offline DjDan

• www.danielmuller.com.au
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 05:47:55 PM »
I get frequent casual work so i can afford to buy computer components every now and then.

I am really interested in gradually building a pc that will be ready by next year so i can use Maya and CS3 really efficiently on it.

I got advice from Luke that i should buy all of the components at once because direct X 10 stuff will be out soon.
But he also told me not to build it myself at all because i'll run into a lot of problems.

Is there any advice you could give me or websites with up to date build it yourself computer lists? so i know what matches with what etc.

I build grunty PC's all the time. Yes buying your motherboard, graphics card and cpu together is main priority. The rest doesnt matter.

Build sensibly, I know a lot of people overcluck their computers etc, I just finished building a computer for a friend, it had 4 x 1gb ram, 4 x 250gig 7200rpm Hard Drives in 2 x raides. Firewire 400 and 800. Quad graphics card. RAW video input card for pure HD. Very Grunty for video editing, maya, CS3. It doesnt crash etc, no excessive fans, just a normal case.

Make sure with your video card, if you do buy a commercial one second hand, watch out for driver issues, as many of those graphics cards come from custom machines such as Silicon Grahpic Computers.

Make sure not to put all the hard drives clustered together (need about 1hdd space between them), they will overheat and start drawing excessive current and overheat the powersupply then and just cause problems.

If you are really into high power for rendering etc, make sure when you are rendering you are only running the rendering program and not the actual creation program. Even consider building 2 x medium power computers and linking them together with a fiibre optic link. Sounds more expensive then it is, but basically you can run a micro-computer which is how big servers and stuff work.

Just something for the imagination.
djdan is the man!
FCKGWRHQQ2YXRKT8TG6W2B7Q8

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 02:07:39 AM »
Well dont look at my pc...  it technicly should not be running...
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline DjDan

• www.danielmuller.com.au
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 01:30:52 AM »
Well dont look at my pc...  it technicly should not be running...

LOL i know!!!
djdan is the man!
FCKGWRHQQ2YXRKT8TG6W2B7Q8