Author Topic: Backup Backup Backup backup!!!  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
Backup Backup Backup backup!!!
« on: May 16, 2007, 02:18:31 AM »
im just wondering... what back up system (if any) is everyone using?

like if your computer has a software os failer... how long will it take to get back online again?

This is how im currectly using backups. the harddrives that I currently have is my portable 300 gig, and in my computer 1x80 gig, 200g and a 4xstriping raid0 with my xp-os installed on.

Say if my main xp raid install doesnt want to start up. Normaly because something crashed and corruption of programs. Then i have another xp image on my 200 gig offline backup system, that i just connect and we are back online. I move most (if i remember) of the important files from my main xp install to the 200gig storage and also the portable drive.  the portable also contains all the drivers so that (in theory) i dont need to access the web to rebuild my system.

I have the 80 gig 3rd layer backup if the other 3 levels fail to install xp (keeping the system restore disk in a safe place)and so that i can do a fresh install on the 80 gig and try to get back online.

but yeh, thats my current system. what is everyone else doing?
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Backup Backup backup!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 09:33:53 AM »
Till i'm able to afford a new hard drive i have "important" stuff backed up on my 160gig. it also contains whats left of my HSC. I make archives of my current projects every week in case the originals go haywire. Again i make a copy of these archives on my 160gig too.

Basically if you have something you don't wanna lose from bad data. I suggest keeping a copy across all mediums that you own. DVD/CD, that other hard disk (RAID in your case), and an external hard disk.

I also put copies of my "smaller" files like .pdf .doc and other smaller documents on either the athene server or a web storage server.

But everyone should already know this since hages reminds us every so often. ;)
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »
Yea mainly just have a backup program that automatically syncs files from computer to portable HDD.
But if someone breaks into my house and steals the laptop plus HDD then i'm stuffed.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:08:09 PM »
I archive 'important stuff' like uni work and work work into my external hard drive pretty much every week, but that said, if I didn't have my main tower I'd be screwed because I wouldn't have anything to access the files (unless I manage to get to another PC).
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:22:22 PM »
pretty much anything i feel worthy of backing up and irretrievable is backed up on some webspace i have around the place... ha ha... need an external harddrive i do.

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »
Well i used to b a DVD whore, but now i backup to my 320Gb Seagate EXT HD.

I backup prty much anything. Iv got a 320Gb HD on my comp, and another 300Gb one waitin to go in once warranty runs out.  :P
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:44:12 PM »
I just backup everything important on my external 250 GB HDD. It's an unoriginal solution, but it works for me.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »
i have three drives

1 500gb scratch disk
1 500gb primary archive
1 500gb Primary Archive backup
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline zam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 02:18:31 AM »
i have the means to, im just too lazy.  one day i will lose it all and cry.