Author Topic: Adventure Games  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Adventure Games
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »
You know what I'm talking about, the pointing and the clicking and the pointing and the clicking and the so on of games long past.
Adventure games, especially puzzle based ones, are my favorite genre of games. They usually support witty, intelligent scripts, sometimes out-of-logic (not quite the same as illogical) puzzles, and varied, beautiful art design. There's alot of talk about the genre dying, which is quite the sad idea; after all, we're not going to see their like again in the same quantity.
Anyway, the point of this topic is to discuss our old games of days long past, like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, Broken Sword, and many others.
Anyone else miss this genre? And any news of games upcoming? I know I'm looking forward to a Vampyre Quest or whatever it's called, and I'm a happy supporter of Telltale Games, which contains most of the adventure game design staff of Lucasarts Adventures...
They're even making the new Sam and Max series...
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Games
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »
Long live Zork!

good thing is.. lucas arts have nothing to do with the new sam and max... they finally got it.. i don know.. syndicated?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 01:57:31 PM by MultimediaMan »
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:02:08 PM »
Long live Zork!

good thing is.. lucas arts have nothing to do with the new sam and max... they finally got it.. i don know.. syndicated?

Well, apparently after ten years the licensing with Lucasarts went back to Steve Purcell, the creator of the series (who now works for Pixar). He ended up selling the license to Telltale Games, after they showed some real initiative and ability to further create the series after Lucasarts canceled the Sequel, much like they did to Full Throttle 2.
They've also said that they have no plans to create any further Monkey Island games until after 2010 (NOOOOO! :'()
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline MultimediaMan

• Multimedia man: But seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 02:06:04 PM »
monkey island needs a break after 4... it seems... or a monkey island movie.. haha.. i kid.
A look into the mind of Multimedia man! http://lex-ttd.blogspot.com/

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 02:35:23 PM »
i never played the 4th Monkey Island but 2 and 3 were definately favs. And 1... Oh hell i like them all
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »
I sorely miss this genre. After Monkey Island 3, I went searching for more point-and-clicks and found Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!?. Although it didn't seem as funny to me as Monkey Island, it was witty enough (after all, it is adapted from the Pratchett world) and the artwork was great. The new Sam and Max game looks like it should be good, but apparently it's really short which is a shame.

Really, the more puzzle/adventure games there are in this world, the better. A new game in the genre's coming out on the Wii actually... I'll try find a link to it or whatever page is associated with it.

EDIT: Here it is! It's called Treasure Island Z and looks to be one heck of a fun game.

Link to IGN's preview.
Official Japanese Website
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 02:50:29 PM by UNGCO »
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 01:18:42 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the Broken Sword Series. I first played Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror, loved the 2d work. Also anything Lucasarts like Day of the Tentacle, Sam and MAx Hit the Road, Full Throttle. I never liked the star wars games though, can't stand that crap. I also have the Myst Collection. Best game in my opinion. although swapping several discs around for Myst II was a pain in the arse, unless your clever and got the dvd, which the stupid collectors pack doesn't have. grrrrr

I recently grabbed Broken Sword: The Angel of Death,... i only played 20mins of it and already i'm missing the 2d drawn version. *sigh*
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 10:34:24 PM »
The new Sam and Max game looks like it should be good, but apparently it's really short which is a shame.

It's been called 'short' because they're releasing it episodically, like Half-Life 2's 'expansions'. This means that instead of waiting around for a couple of years, we can enjoy the game as it develops, and the developers can integrate user feed-back into newer episodes.
Though admittedly I did hear things about Episode 3 being unfortunately brief...

And now... this!

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »
So those into adventure games would have heard the laughable December 2012 release date set for Monkey Island five posted on the Lucasarts website. I dont really wann have to wait that long.

Also on the topic, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, Loom, Grim Fandango all awesome games. Loved the Zork series, and there was even a good point and click adventure of Ripleys Believe it or not.

But Sure Myst is pretty, but egad is it dull. (now true adventure gamers will be able to pick that one out)

Offline Jabba_Wocky

• Decimation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:35:47 PM »
But Sure Myst is pretty, but egad is it dull. (now true adventure gamers will be able to pick that one out)
[/quote]

i like the frustration from the puzzles you have to work out.  i've thrown my fair share of game boxes. true the first 2 are a little dull, but i still enjoyed them. i love the fourth myst. the last one was ok i guess. was interesting using a 3d engine. the interactivity was ok, but i still prefer myst 3 & 4.
Tread softly, and carry a big gun.

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 05:15:48 PM »

The Flying Dutchman was undoubtably one of the coolest characters in Monkey Island 3... him and Murray

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 09:02:27 PM »

The Flying Dutchman was undoubtably one of the coolest characters in Monkey Island 3... him and Murray

Heh, I loved all his dialog.
'And now you see, Skull Island!!!'
'...It looks like a duck.'
'Well, yes, but if you just turn your head on the side, and, and squint a bit, ooooh, it's scary.'
'If I turn my head on the side and squint it kinda looks like a bunny...'

Ah, bless you Monkey Island, I shalt miss you until you return to us, not unlike King Arthur (it'll happen damn you!).

And now... this!

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
How do you guys remember such obscure references? Last time I played the game was nine or so years ago and sure as heck don't recall any lines. Crazy people!
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »
I like to think that Monkey Island was my real parents, hahaha... well not really but i spent a butt load of time playing it. Glad to see people knew the quote. Thats the place where you can go back to monkey island 1 if you repeatedly click on the water 'gee id hate to be that guy'

So anyway, barbershop quartet here we go...

There's a monkey in my pocket and its stealing all my change,
Its stare is blank and glassy i suspect that its deranged.

Offline D.

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
A pirate i was meant to be,
Trim the sails and roam the sea!

That was a hilarious song.