Author Topic: nCloth  (Read 2375 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
nCloth
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »
Hey guys,

So here's the thing... I've been playing around with nCloth and when I test 'clothes' with say a cube to place hold a character it works more or less as expected. However when I add a pretty dress on my classy girly the vertices just go spastic. I've tried playing around with max iterations and the like which does stabilise things a little, but by at least frame 6 things are going truly bizarre. Is there some trick I'm not getting to nCloth clothing for characters? Do you have to do a proxy collider mesh? Or can the character itself be a collider? My dress poly count is about 8000, which doesn't seem too high for me given nCloth needs enough tris to calculate well. I also adjusted the space scale to 0.01 to register centimetres not the default metres, also helped a little but not the drastic fix I'm after.

The trouble is the help files show me a workflow that works perfect for everything except my character  :'(. Help?

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Re: nCloth
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:54:24 PM »
Well, there's the obvious, such as the cloth starting off inside/too close to the character - make sure that you give it its rest shape before experimenting, and remember to cache and DELETE THE OLD CACHE.
Little more I can really say without seeing the model and the cloth - a playblast would be choice, but even just a screenshot of 'start of animation' to 'bit where spastic it goes' would be helpful.
If you're on the lab computers, the polycount is fine - slightly high, but alright. If you can't get a screenshot up, can you at least say what kind of clothing you're trying to emulate?

EDIT:
Also, to catch up on that other thing, you ask if you need a proxy collider mesh? The answer: Maybe (oh yeah, I'm totally industry standard >_>). It comes down to the intensity of your original model. For Wizard's Exam, as nCloth was all new to me in those days, I used the Wizard's actual topology, which wasn't too bad as the Wizard wasn't an insanely intense character. However, any more advanced (take the Werewolf for instance) I'd certainly use a proxy setup, but the risk with cloth using a very low count proxy is that it'll look like it's sticking to flat edges on the character where no flat edges should be, so use your discretion to judge how much or little topology to use in the proxy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:08:20 PM by Atcote »
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Re: nCloth
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me Alex, I was rather hoping you would seeing as I knew you were experienced with such matters. I moved onto modeling the head, I'll come back to the clothes. When I do I'd like to ensure that the clothing is perfectly quadrangulated, I have a suspicion that there were a few tris and nfaces in my clothing before. Might help stabilise things, if not I will try the proxy mesh, thanks for the tip off about the proxy mesh causing the clothing to look boxy. I'll look out for it, watch this space I'll be sure to include playblasts if future trouble arises.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3