Author Topic: Rigging my first human character  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Tia

• View Profile
Rigging my first human character
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »
I am wondering while having a look in the hypergraph whether if an effector should be deleted if it is no longer being "used" as such. It has the icon next to it saying its not attached but if i delete it will i be deleting something i actually need and causing problems later?...

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Every Master was first an amateur.

Offline Hages

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the end effector does
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:54 AM »
Unless you’ve completely erased the IK chain that created the end effector, deleting the node can be... um... hazardous! The cpnnection with the end effector may not be obvious in the default Hypergraph view but under the hood it drives the entire IK solution. Don’t delete it.

Furthermore, this explanation in the Maya help is quite concise:

“In IK animation, an additional node that is created automatically when an IK handle is created. The IK handle is connected to the end effector. As you pose the IK handle, the end effector drives the IK chain. By default the end effector is located at the last joint of an IK chain, but it can be moved to make the IK handle appear to be at a different point in the skeletal hierarchy.

An example is an arm with joints created at the shoulder, elbow, forearm and wrist. The IK chain goes from shoulder to forearm. Moving the end effector to the wrist puts the IK handle in a more intuitive location for the animator.”

Hope that provides the answer. ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:49:40 AM by Hages »

Offline Tia

• View Profile
Re: Rigging my first human character
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »
Thank you. I decided to try the whole "do it and see" approach and found my rig fall apart. It was a good experiment but i was very hesidant to do it, rewarding in the end since i was smart enough to save it before i tried.

I did read that in the help but the red lines and dullness of the end effectors had me going for a minute.

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
So im onto my next rig because i didnt like the one i did very much but now im having difficulties with the arm IK's , on the right side it doesnt work and elft it does and when i fix the right the left stops working???? Is there a way i could ahve somehow connected them. I am stumped. Please help.

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:28:42 PM »
I went back and redid the whole thing again.... Yay to completing my rig and i actually worked out what was wrong. Do not set each individual point with the setting preferred angle it ruins any Ik's set and im not sure why i didnt see this earlier but its all fixed now and i even worked out where i went wrong, too bad you cant just undo it if it was done ages ago.