Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 9739 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Introduce Yourself!
« on: June 01, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
This is about introducing yourself to the entirety of the forums; it's just like what we said on our first days at the uni, and gives us a chance to give a brief description of ourselves for the forum to familiarise themselves to. You don't have to state your real name or certain things if you don't want to.
While I know that we can still get a feel just viewing posts in the forum, I think this'll help us get used to ourselves online.
Anyway, I'll get started with myself then.
My real name's Alex Mason, and I'm a first year in the Animation and Visual Effects course (obviously). I'm from Wangaratta in North East Victoria, so if I seem uneasy around anything to do with rugby, that's why. The types of animation I'm interested in creating are 2D digital animation, and I'm also interested in doing 3D backgrounds and stop motion. I'm straight out of high school, andI don't have alot of knowledge in animation itself, but I guess I'm here to rectify that situation. I'm a huge fan of most types of animation (claymation, other stop motion, hand drawn and digital 2D, 3D, anime, ect). My goal in this course is to one day work in a company like (or IN) Aardman. Once I finish the course I plan on traveling to the UK and trying to get work there, at least for a while.

Anyway, let's get on with this, shall we?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 05:30:43 PM by Atcote »
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline megatron

• View Profile
    • meg willis
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:19:15 PM »
hi... yes im a 'bogan' as matt so nicely put it this morning, im from rural nsw...Warialda..near Moree...Near Tamworth... far far away..

im second yr out of school and first year uni, hated working as a receptionist for 9months, as well as subway - moree, NSW, boost - Hornsby, NSW, and a couple of others.... basically uni is the life! lol

i want to eventually be doing advertising dvds & etc for kids camps throughout australia, but mainly here - http://www.crusaders.edu.au/index_html, but i really want to do an exchange to france or the US. i chose animation to get an edge on the multimedia side of things... i have to admit though that it wasnt my first choice...but im really enjoying the course, so i guess it was meant to be. The course has been very inspirational and im making more and more plans as we go.

my minor is graphic design; starting off with GRP103. Loving it!

anyway thats it
chou muma!

R O B

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 08:28:31 AM »
Hey im Robert James,  im from a small town called Collarenebri its north near Moree, i was doing mutimedia and graphic design last year, but ive switched to the first year animation degree because it directly follows the career im looking for, plus i can fit in some web subjects that im also keen to learn.

I graduate in 2003, the first year out of school i moved alone to Tamworth and did a cert 4 art course, and got some work at an abitours. The second year i switched to cert 4 in screen and film. Though thier was alot of bickering amoung the students and the two teachers were not getting along so i left half way through the year, and found another job in insurance. And the year after that i got into uni to do the graphic design/multimedia degree.

I know a few programs mostly photoshop, though i learn new things all the time. I feel ive been a bit distant to the first years and a bit out of place being half 1st and 2nd but im happy to have a chat and help anyway i can.

Im looking at companys like mad cow productions who have clients like cartoon network. I was a fan of Earhtworm Jim, and like Beavis and Buthead and would like to move towards that.. i think. Though i like 3D as well. cheers.

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:55:18 AM »
Hello, Im Tiana Dine, Tia works though. Umm, what to say? Im from Armidale.
I graduated year 12 in 2003, got into the UNE in communication studies and left after 6 weeks cause it wasnt me. Went to work for a small financial institute called ABS Building Society, worked there for about 3 years gaining my Cert 3 in Finance.

I orginally applied for Graphic Design/Multimedia double degree. I attempted to get in straight after highschool and only got into Multimedia so decided not too, i would be a third year now if i had. lol.

I put animation down as a random choice, looked intersting but couldnt find much information on it, Andrew ended up calling me and eventually swayyed me. I am very glad i chose to do this course, other then the fact i have met alot of fantastic people, i have found an ability in my self that before i didnt know existed.

Im  not sure what i realy want to get into at this stage but shall find my own style and neish shortly, hopefully.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:25:18 PM by Siren »
Every Master was first an amateur.

Offline Tara♫

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »
Hi, my name is Tara Knight.. I'm originally from The Rock but moved to Wagga in 2003. I attended Billabong High School in Culcairn and I finished year 12 in 2002..

I worked casually for a while as a sales assisntant for both Big W and EB Games. I was also considering doing Pathology and did a few chemistry courses (which i loved) but wasnt sure if I was really interested in it as a career.. Finally in 2006 i became the assistant manager of EB Games in wagga but after the first 3 months i realised i didnt want a career in retail.. so i applied for an interview for a dif arts course but there was a mix up and i had an interview for animation instead.. After my interview with Hages and Damien and talking about my love of animation I realised I'd found what i wanted to do...

As far as where i'd like to go with this.. maybe into games... pixar would be nice though... lets just see how i go in 3D next semester...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:14:35 PM by Tara♫ »
(\ /)
(. .)
c(")(")

"ビー・マイ・エスケイプ"

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:02:51 PM »
good idea master mason
Hello all, my name is Pam Readford, im orginally from Dubbo, which is about a 5 hour drive, basically Dubbo is known for the western plains zoo, its actually quite weird living somewhere where there isnt a zoo, now thats messed up! lol.... i finished yr 12 last year (i did pathways, so i did yr 12 over 2 years). I moved to Wagga(obviously) & live off campus, and my lovely boyfriend, Beaux moved with me, coz he couldnt live without me! how sweet!  ;D
Im doing animation & visual effects which is awesome coz it was my first preference :-)
I like a bit of anime here and there, my fav series that i have seen so far is Inuyasha. I like Tim burtons stuff, hes pretty awesome and creepy! creepy is always good! I love british comedy such as black books, monty python etc! :-P Australian comedy isnt all that bad either, like Fast Forward, full frontal and of course the classic Late Show, also I think Lano and Woodly were classic.
I had a fire in my first week of uni, and we've only just got the insurance payout! which is woot! :-D I didnt tell many people about the fire, coz i didnt want sympathy... so now that i'm back on my feet, i can start telling people! lol.  ;D

:)

Offline Poodle

• View Profile
    • The Art of Nicholas K. Moores
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
G'day, my name is Nicholas Moores, but please call me Nik or Poodle. I live/d at Tweed Heads (right next to the Gold Coast, but on the NSW side of the border). Obviously i can’t live there during Uni, that’s when I live on campus.
I finished year 12 at Lindisfarne Anglican School in 2006 and am now enrolled in my first year of Animation and Visual Effects. I'm 18 turning 19 next year, so I’m one of the babies in the course  :P
I've wanted to do 3D modelling and animation since my friend introduced me to a very basic 3D program called Anim8or (http://www.anim8or.com/) in grade 8. However I'm also a very logic-based person so I’ve always enjoyed maths and science, and therefore machinery and electronics (what a nerd!).
I had BA (Animation and Visual Effects) as my first preference for uni, but i didn't put effort into my HSC and didn't expect to get excepted, but I did, otherwise I'd be doing engineering right now. So you can see I’m little confused about what I want in life  ??? ???

After finishing this course I would like to possibly get into game character modelling, special effects or work for a company like Pixar (wishes and dreams :P).

Offline megatron

• View Profile
    • meg willis
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
Hey im Robert James,  im from a small town called Collarenebri its north near Moree

hey thats close to me... well close enough you know warialda is? my dad and his business go to that abitoirs that you worked at... ha ha i feel better knowing someone from even close to home, excellent

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
 ;D hey my name is matt barron , and i come from a crevace of a town called cootamundra which is an hour away from wagga :P
i graduated from coota high in 2005 and took a year off and worked ..... how "exciting".
i come from a really artistic family (with my nan being an oil painter , and my uncle being a cartoonist who has done some pretty big things in his time!!) and have always loved making art of every kind.

it is actually a funny story of how i made it into the animation course , i applied for television production because i thought that through that id be able to get into the industry (cause i always dreamed of doing 3d for pixar :P)..... anyways it was my first day after O week and i accidentally walked into the wrong lecture (the very first vfx lecture) and as soon as andrew opened his mouth i knew this was the course for me , 2 hours later i swapped courses and was an animation 1st year before i even stepped foot in a television prod. class:P

it was the best choice i have ever made , and f@cking love this course and every one in it!!!

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 10:18:19 PM »
awww wow! we're loved!  :-[ shux!
:)

Offline Tabaris

• Magma solves everything
    • View Profile
    • Tabaris on DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:39:43 PM »
hello my name is Scott Hogan and i am from Bathurst NSW. I spent two years at TAFE doing a digital media course because my UAI sucked and i couldn't get in to uni. While i was there i learned some flash, very basic 3D and that TV production is evil. it was those two years that really got me interested in animation and this was the only course that had everything i wanted to do. I am pretty much interested in 2D and 3D animation although stop motion is becoming decidedly interesting. I would like to get work in the games industry when i finish or even spend some time doing short films if i can get the chance to do them.
Urist McForeman: Magma solves every thing.
Urist McSmartyPants: Even the fact that the mayor has gone Psychotic because he is on fire?
Urist McForeman: Sure we just need more magma.

R O B

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 11:00:44 PM »

hey thats close to me... well close enough you know warialda is? my dad and his business go to that abitoirs that you worked at... ha ha i feel better knowing someone from even close to home, excellent
Yeah i went though thier years ago to go to Inverell, did your dad go to the Beef abitours at Cargill? lol il save this chat for another time :)

Offline MC_Gherkin

• View Profile
    • Dave's Animation Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 12:27:24 PM »
Hey Guys, My name is David Pulleine and I'm from the all mighty town of Young, which is famous for it's cherries and is only about 2 hrs from wagga. I finished year 12 in 2006 at young high and i did pretty well, I'm now first year BA animation and visual effects which  was my first choice and i chose to do it because I've been interested into getting into the gaming industry or visual effects in movies for a long time now, I basically got into it from watching DVD extras of how animations and games were made and thought it would be a great job and so far I'm pretty terrible at the whole thing.
I'm now on campus over at the lovely West Hall which isn't too bad, the foods decent the TV sucks but then i could think of worse places to live ie. Domans.

And that's about it for me.

Offline chicken

• Happy bunny and you!
    • View Profile
    • Chicken Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »
You never worked at woolworths in the deli did you Gherkin?
I'm vomiting with rage, LITERALLY!

Offline rdarnz

• Pixel art - woooo!
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
Hey I'm Ryan and I'm an alc... Wrong forum, my bad!

Onto the serious info... I moved to Sydney's Northern Beaches in 2003 from Portsmouth, England, so that makes me a Pom! I became an Australian officially in February 2007, so now I drink cold beer and partake in other such 'true Blue' rituals!!

I'm straight out of high school (Freshwater Senior Campus) and back in Year 10/11 had planned to go into programming, but changed my mind in Year 12 (not really sure what swayed me, but yeah...) so I have a technical background more so than an arts background.

I worked at KFC for roughly two and a half years whilst I was in Year 11 and 12 and if I remained in Sydney (which I wouldn't have anyway considering my family has now moved to Caboolture, near Brisbane) I would be an assistant manager there - not the type of career I want!! So for the meantime I'm an unemployed and without Centrelink benefits :'( first-year BA(Animation and Visual Effects) student.

My ultimate dream would be to work at Pixar and I can't wait to get into the 3D work next term. Whilst I would like to experiment with stop-motion, I know that 2D work isn't really my thing!! My favourite animated films are the mainstream Pixar stuff (of course) and Dreamworks stuff, as well as all the old-school animators' works such as that of Ub Iwerks, Max Fleischer and of course, Chuck Jones... Links to some of their cartoons are on my del.icio.us!! :D

Anyhow, I think I've said enough (I talk alot!!).