Author Topic: Maya 2011 File Navigation  (Read 1631 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Maya 2011 File Navigation
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »
When Autodesk released Maya 2011 they introduced a more sophisticated file / project navigation window, the pros being it neatly displayed all your project directories on the left, the contents in them middle, and any options / previews on the right (pinched from mac os x...). The cons of this as some may have noticed is you can't necessarily navigate to anywhere you want to go (especially on mac os x...) and at times it's just plain clunky. I recommend reverting to the native file dialogue box because as the saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I think this feature honestly causes more problems then it's worth.

Go to window > settings / preferences > preferences > choose the files / projects tab > right at the bottom under file dialog choose 'OS native'.

Obviously this is a matter of preference, but particularly on mac, I think this is significantly easier to use, especially with a magic mouse so you can gesture to navigate through your project, which of course doesn't work in maya's dialogue window.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: Maya 2011 File Navigation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
Wow. Pro-tip of the year for me!

2012 is a bit better, but the project navigation window in 2011 was terrible. I'm not sure if it was my harddrive setup (I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem) but it literally took 10 seconds to change harddrives.

Thanks man.

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Re: Maya 2011 File Navigation
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
It isn't just you, it seems a little bugged. Will not doubt improve with time but for now. Glad to see this helps someone.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3