Author Topic: And the iPhone cometh  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
And the iPhone cometh
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
Well, it has to be said: The iPhone is now officially (and, according to some people, finally) coming to Australia, and many other countries.

I wasn't really all that excited about it; I've got an old Siemens mobile that's served me well for a few years, so I doubt I'll be upgrading this year. However, with its promises of a quite large price drop, I can see myself owning one in the future (it's true what they say; you get one Apple product, and then you just keep getting them. The mindless slave, me).
Currently they're going to be supported by Vodaphone and Optus plans, which surprises me because previously it was said that Apple was in negotiations with Telstra; which means having to switch to an entirely different service provider.

One thing that Apple (as always) has got me threatened over is the price difference between here and the US: it's meant to be selling for US$199, which translates to A$209 about, but as usual, I suspect Apple's terrible overpricing to come into affect here. Also don't have any word on the price of packages.

Well, there's my rant. Time to stay quiet until next year's WWDC.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Luke

• "I think i can, I think i can, I know i can! .....
    • View Profile
    • MOB clan
Re: And the iPhone cometh
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »
Yes   join me and my 'touch'and we call all walk around with apple technology straped to our wrists like a drip...

Im pritty sure that the iphone will not work in regional australia...
If my work is s***. Then i MUST be told it's s***. And why it's s***. If not... what is the point of a 'Visual Effects Community?'

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 02:52:19 PM »
Well, apparently a rather skeptical price for it has been leaked.

I gotta say, if this it true, it's disgusting. Even if it is an unlocked iPhone without a plan, it's an amazing amount to be expected to pay for a phone with a harddrive.

But then, I suppose it tallies up with the price for the iPod Touch then...
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »
the iphone will run on the 3g network...

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »
I'm going to be delightfully old fashioned and use seperate gadgets for each task I want to perform and save myself some cash... go me.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 12:34:57 AM »
There is no way in the universe i would buy an iphone/itouch. Even if i got service. I don't want no internet, video camera, games, video or music on my phone. Hell, i don't even want a colour screen. All i want is something NextG that can make calls and recieve messages with an insane battery life.

Sure it sounds good in theory to make it do everything, but i know personally i would rarely, if ever use anything other than phone + music. If i wanted to play games on the road, i'd charge my f***ing gameboy. Watching video while travelling makes me NAUSEOUS. SOLVE THAT ONE APPLE.

160gb ipod ftw.

Offline John

• View Profile

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »
See, there just has to be a rule from letting people use outdated Maddox 'articles' as their pure opinion.

And now... this!

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 05:31:31 PM »
See, there just has to be a rule from letting people use outdated Maddox 'articles' as their pure opinion.

Um, thats not my opinion dude. It's his. Lighten up.
I'm of the old hat, having not seen it before.

Optus released pricing details: http://www.optusiphone.com.au/getdoc/3727f208-955d-4c4a-ad38-b860c9b14e56/post-paid-pricing.aspx
Reasonable, considering the hype.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »
Relax dude, it was sarcasm (okay, poorly expressed sarcasm, but nonetheless). I just lack an enjoyment for Maddox. See the mother/sister site i-Mockery for some more interesting but similar stuff.

Telstra released their prices some days ago, but interestingly, I only heard about it in the paper; they still don't seem to have posted on their site.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:43:30 PM by Atcote »

And now... this!

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »
Relax dude, it was sarcasm (okay, poorly expressed sarcasm, but nonetheless). I just lack an enjoyment for Maddox. See the mother/sister site i-Mockery for some more interesting but similar stuff.

Telstra released their prices some days ago, but interestingly, I only heard about it in the paper; they still don't seem to have posted on their site.

Sorry man.

Yeah, whatever float your boat really. I find it pretty entertaining, but then i am pretty bogan.

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »
Well, at the risk of spamming the forum by continuing this on (hell, the forum's pretty dead anyway), i-Mockery is mostly articles about bad '80s movies and toys, so it's not like it's the highlight of wisdom and sophistication :P.

And now... this!