Author Topic: Movie and Graphic symbols  (Read 5534 times)

Offline damian

• View Profile
Movie and Graphic symbols
« on: May 03, 2007, 10:34:10 AM »
I had someone call this morning with a problem resulting from not being able to see there "movie symbol"...

When you have a graphic symbol (a graphic symbol can be more than 1 frame), the symbol plays as long as your animation (timeline dependant). ie If you create a 100 frame graphic symbol and your animation is only 80 frames, only 80 frames of your symbol will play.

If on the other hand you use a movie symbol, the movie symbol will play it's entirety. So a 100 frame movie symbol will play for 100 frames in a 80 frame animation. This is unless the movie has been scripted to only run for the duration of the animation or has other parameters set.

As a result of the movie symbol being independent of the animation... to preview your movie symbol properly you will need to do a test movie- and not just play from the timeline.

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
Re: Movie and Graphic symbols
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »
It's also possible to change the nature of a symbol isn't it, eg. from a movie symbol to a graphic symbol? I think I might have done such a thing but I wasn't quite sure whether it's standard to just change the properties halfway through a production.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Tabaris

• Magma solves everything
    • View Profile
    • Tabaris on DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »
The problem with movie symbols is that they have a nasty habit of not working when you export as something other than a .swf. When you do the movie symbol will sit on its first frame and do nothing. You might be able to get around it but I haven't figured out hoe yet.
Urist McForeman: Magma solves every thing.
Urist McSmartyPants: Even the fact that the mayor has gone Psychotic because he is on fire?
Urist McForeman: Sure we just need more magma.

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:54:16 AM »
The problem with movie symbols is that they have a nasty habit of not working when you export as something other than a .swf. When you do the movie symbol will sit on its first frame and do nothing. You might be able to get around it but I haven't figured out hoe yet.

That's actually the reason why I'd changed my movie symbols into graphic symbols - when I exported a PNG sequence, the animation inside the movie symbol would just stay on the first frame, which basically meant I had a statue sliding over the screen.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »
so how do we fix this? and why when we export is it massively pixelated

Offline damian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »
OK, to export so that it is not pixelated make sure your publish settings are set correctly. Turn JPEG quality to full to start with.

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:11:14 PM »
what exporting codec should we use? im having trouble making it work , it tends to work better/ less pixelated when i dont compress it ..... does it have to be compressed?

Offline D.

• Im pretty sure i could take Darth Vader.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »
I think Hages wanted u guys to use the "H.264" codec (its a windows one)
Mental High Five!! *wtch*

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 11:58:34 PM »
do u have the codec?? cos at the moment i think im gonna convert it to avi but not compress it its the only way it looks decent................. and how the f@ck do i get my symbols to actually move when ive exported it ....... it all plays , bar that ....................im pooing my pants right now...lol

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 12:25:18 AM »
What's your problem exactly? How are you exporting it?

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »
do u have the codec?? cos at the moment i think im gonna convert it to avi but not compress it its the only way it looks decent................. and how the f@ck do i get my symbols to actually move when ive exported it ....... it all plays , bar that ....................im pooing my pants right now...lol

Okay, the codec should be with Flash; it's on mine and I didn't download anything. If it isn't, google it and find it. The way to get the symbols to move after exporting is to change them from movie symbols to graphics symbols; don't ask me why, but it usually works, and in response to your last piece of interest, don't sit down.

God, and this coming from the pessimistic guy...
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline DjDan

• www.danielmuller.com.au
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 05:33:56 PM »
I had someone call this morning with a problem resulting from not being able to see there "movie symbol"...

When you have a graphic symbol (a graphic symbol can be more than 1 frame), the symbol plays as long as your animation (timeline dependant). ie If you create a 100 frame graphic symbol and your animation is only 80 frames, only 80 frames of your symbol will play.

If on the other hand you use a movie symbol, the movie symbol will play it's entirety. So a 100 frame movie symbol will play for 100 frames in a 80 frame animation. This is unless the movie has been scripted to only run for the duration of the animation or has other parameters set.

One thing that I thought I would add which I said in another forum, dont forget that if you have a movie clip symbol, dont keep adding it using keyframes, make sure you add it as just inserting a frame.
djdan is the man!
FCKGWRHQQ2YXRKT8TG6W2B7Q8