Author Topic: Symposia Aftermath  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
Symposia Aftermath
« on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:51 AM »
And thus, Symposia (I do hope I'm spelling that right) has come and gone, but what did everyone think of it?

Personally, I enjoyed it a lot. I admit that I originally wasn't going to go due to its cost ($60 for one day, $90 for two), which seemed kinda outrageous at the time, but to make use of a good ol' cliche, it was worth every penny. I didn't know exactly what to expect from it; being in the Playhouse I expected a speech format, and that's pretty much what it was, but everything actually managed to be pretty damn interesting. Despite not everything being directly related to the animation course, it was great to hear some perspectives from people all over the design, illustration and advertising businesses, and seeing some of the artist's styles; in particular Christopher Nielsen, who's icongraphic and kinda Mexican (Day of the Dead) style work was very unique and appealing, and the views that Morten Rowley gave on the 'Motion Designer' business made the whole event worthwhile on its own, at least from my little animator's persective.

I can say that I found the two days to be totally and utterly worth it. What does everyone else think they got/didn't get out of it?

PS. It was mentioned that we should contact a head of school in support of making the event CSU funded (in otherwords, free for us); any idea of how to do that?
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
Re: Symposia Aftermath
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
I have always found 'Symposia' to be a kind of mixed bag as far as content goes. There is always those whom inspire and intrigue and leave a lingering sense of fulfillment if not eagerness to investigate your own practice further, and those whom you arent necessarily interested in, perhaps because of the genre of their work, or perhaps because they are a better designer than they are public speaker. It was a mix as well as the self indulgent and genuinely helpful, although some self indulgence was definately the flavour of the day, ha ha ha.

The day catered across a wide range of artistic endevours, showcasing design from a plethora of industries, and each of them echoed each other in saying; "when everyone is making white, make black... break the rules". I guess the main thing to take away is that "before you break the rules however, you must first know the rules", something which we all have been taught I'm sure. Anyways, it was a pretty dismal turnout to what has traditionally been a very worthwhile event, would be nice in the future to see a bigger turnout.

It might be nice in the future for their to be further consultation between disciplines in the school so that each course is adequately represented by speakers and each course could perhaps vouch for the quality of the speakers. Im not 100% sure this happened this year at the least...

Either way, probably the highlights for me were Linda Dement's multimedia pieces and Russell Kennedy from Monash University/ICOGRADA, they both had something different and interesting to say.

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »
i didnt go to symposia , it did sound like it was a good opportunity and etc but im not sure they went about the advertising the right way....for us animators at least anyways.......

the guy came in , told us symposia was on in 4 days and told us it was gonna be near on 100 bucks!!
being uni students , we all no pulling 100 bucks out of thin is a hard feat , and maybe with a little more notice we could have made arrangements so that we could make it.

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
yeah, i agree with u matt- we had 4 days to find $90! thats really not much time. it may have been worth the money- but a little bit of notice might have helped!  ;D
:)

Offline UNGCO

• Pees To Everyone!
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art - No Updates
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 03:16:10 PM »
Even though I'd planned to go both days, my mismanagement of time unfortunately prevented me from actually attending the first.  The second day was extremely well worth it though and I must say that it really inspired me to start doing personal projects again - something I have hardly done in the last year for lack of enthusiasm on my part.  Emile and Morton's works were especially attention grabbing, and as I've been interested in motion graphics and design for a while now, it was only appropriate that I found them so.  I'm still gobsmacked by how Morton's year nine works inspired what became the Extra commercials!

The way many of them presented themselves in turn made their talks particularly encouraging.  I definitely found this year's Symposia much better than the previous one.
Procrastination is the Crown of Purgatory. The bearer of such a burden is a defeated one indeed.

Offline Coma1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:47:53 AM »
yeah, i agree with u matt- we had 4 days to find $90! thats really not much time. it may have been worth the money- but a little bit of notice might have helped!  ;D

I assume then both you and Matt were unaware that you could get a ticket to attend and the university could invoice you. Meaning you could owe the university the money, that way you would have had a few weeks to pay that money back... you didnt have 4 days to come up with it, you could have had weeks.

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »
i was completely unaware of that
:)

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile