Author Topic: New Mac options  (Read 6599 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Re: New Mac options
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »
I did exaclty the same  :D great minds think alike. The SSDs are still a tad too much. Maybe next time. 16gb ram should suffice though... Mine comes in a few days, i hope mac lives up to its reputation, for both our sakes yes?

<3 Rowan

Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline bernsul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
Congratulations Rowan. It's reassuring that we both came to the same solution. I think the imac will be great for most things I can see myself doing in this next year or two. If you are still looking around for ram, the best price I found for 16 gig of ram is $345 from this place. I need to double check the ram hasn't changed in the current model, and I haven't had anything to do with these guys before so can't give any guarantees.

http://www.macram.com.au/imac-imac-28ghz-30ghz-36-ghz-215-27-mid-2010-c-105_45_126.html

Cheers

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »
If you haven't already purchased anything, hold off your mac purchases until after march or so as Apple will release a refresh of the range, and with intel just lifting the NDA on the new Intel CPU ranges (Sandy Bridge), its hightly possible Apple will start using these around then.  The new CPU are meant to be kick ass and pretty much everything you'd expect of the Second Generation i3,i5, i7 range.

Nothing is confirmed from Apple as per ususal.

Offline bernsul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
Hmmm. Thanks Pat. I will think about it seriously, but it is worth a lot to me to have this time to practice over the next couple of months as well.

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 08:41:02 PM »
There is a upside.  The closer to March, current line of stock get discounted a little bit, or things like get a free iPod when purchasing for Uni (This is currently running now via the apple edu website)

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »
Personally, I'd hold off for the more recent computer, around March/April, purely for the lasting power (and it may be a big update - can't remember when their last redesign was). It sounds like you're in the labs in the meantime, and hey, it's not like you'd be unfamiliar with the mac layout (and as you'd know, Maya between Mac and Windows is pretty much consistent).
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline bernsul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »
I have been dwelling on the possibility of a free ipod. Thanks for the heads up Pat.

I can't find any reference to the update soon for the imacs, other than a possible new low end model. Where did you find the reference? If I was buying a laptop I definitely would wait.

And If I was buying final cut pro software I would wait a couple of months as well.

One reality is that there will always be a new model coming.

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
No references, just heaps of information from the main CPU used in apple products just being released into second generation and with Apple normally refreshing their iMac range around the start of the year, it makes sense that they would include this new product in their refresh.  It might not be a whole new 'design' more of a change over of the internal hardware for a bit of a power boost and better heat management.

They'll announce the iPad 2 before this anyway - I think thats coming in Feb at one of the Apple conferences or trade shows.

Apple never pre announce any updates, they think its cool and trendy to screw with people and force businesses to budget on rumour and prediction on what they might do - Not exactly a fan of this method, especially if you trying to purchase around $150,000 worth of iMacs and they are updated 3-6 months later to a new version, that will be current for the next 3 years and the ones you bought are now only current for about 2 years. So not good for managed lifecycles.

Offline bernsul

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »
Well I just ordered it. I want to make the most of the next 3 to 6 months. If I had a working computer at home it would be a little different. Thanks for the advice Pat.

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »
Im afraid the way of the technology world is that what is wonderful today will be superseded in some irrationally short time span. You just have to accept that, particularly with apples secretive and frequent updates - no doubt frustrating for administrators. The imac were purchasing was updated  mid last year to include the new i7 processor and an SSD option. And an internal redesign, it adressed thermal management issues of the high end imac (basically they overheated on high load). This is documented on the apple forums. Im on my phone so i cant be bothered fishing for the link but its only a google search away.

Apple are hesitent to adopt cutting edge stuff into their range for fear of gimmicks and passing fads (blu ray please?). This, in theory, future proofs their machines and ensures reliability and forward compatibility. Agree or disagree i wouldnt assume apple to jump out and get the new awesomeness from intel just yet. There is also rumour apple are trying to break old habbits of product release dates to stop people assuming updates and holding off. Apparently january used to be the big apple update month. Then, anyone can say pretty much anything on the internet. My point is - you can hold off forever. As fun as relying on your mobile for internet is, i need a computer now!

Let us hope we are not superseded too soon, but the same is true of the pc world, where every component is updated oestensibly weekly.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »
It should be noted that, while Apple doesn't announce its updates until a few days before, they usually take place at the same time, announced during the same event, each year.

And the blu-ray problem is unfortunately not due to any fear of over future proofing against future purchases - it's because Steve Jobs believes or has been told to believe that it's a problem riddled system (not any more so than when the DVD first came out), but mostly it's his problem that it's essentially a developing medium monopoly held by Sony. You know, like Apple with iPods and iTunes, but TOTALLY DIFFERENT - as Apple is not making the profit from it.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Diminuendo

• I love foxes and owls and dinosaurs and unicorns:P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
hey, if your still thinking about the SSDs, Macs now have TRIM:
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/05/how-to-enable-trim-on-your-macs-solid-state-drive/