Author Topic: iMac 2010 external display bug  (Read 1817 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
iMac 2010 external display bug
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »
Ok so there aren't a lot of us here that own macs but if you own a 27" iMac one you may notice that when you plug in an external display that the mouse behaves erratically. Resetting the PRAM fixes this (hold command+alt+p+r on startup, wait for chime, when it reboots and chimes again, release). Unfortunately I've noticed every time you patch Mac OS (10.6.5 to 10.6.6 to 10.6.7), it reoccurs, and you have to reset the PRAM yet again I'm in the process of harassing Apple about this.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Corbs

• Grubs And Cats. You Know What I Mean
    • View Profile
Re: iMac 2010 external display bug
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
hmmm. i havent noticed this on the new grapho macs at uni. maybe there is a hotfix for it? or its an isolated issue
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong.

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
Corbs: All but one doesn't use a external display.  It may also be an issue with DVI and not VGA? (Rowan: Have you tested this?)

Also are you using a 'Apple' mouse?

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
Yeh as pat said, its only with the display port to (in my case DVI) adaptor... Though I don't think it's the adaptor, though it could potentially be worth trying a VGA monitor to compare, though I don't own a VGA adaptor.

The really weird thing is, the problem is exactly the same with a USB microsoft optical mouse. While I do primarily use the laser magic mouse, it's not the root of the problem, it's intermittent, once it starts, you can watch it like clock work though, you plug in the monitor, it goes crazy, you unplug it, no worries. Regardless of the mouse, while I haven't tested it extensively, I don't think it effects windows, it's a Mac OS thing. Very weird.

It happened again this morning, PRAM reset failed to fix it though. I'm actually speaking to the senior technical support for Apple in Sydney, I even got contacted by a customer relations manager. They're taking it pretty seriously so hopefully there's a solution coming. Their big concern I suppose is that when I updated to 10.6.7 it started occurring again after it was ostensibly fixed.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3