Author Topic: Scene Optimisation  (Read 2079 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Scene Optimisation
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »
Hello everyone,

Sorry to bother you with yet another teething issue. But my scenes are starting to get larger and larger and some of the geometry of the models is quite complicated.  I'm assuming this is the case because I am starting to get a kind of jitter when navigating around the scene that seems to be as a result of lag.  I imagine this is because I haven't deleted the construction history of any of my models, and some of them are lengthy.  When should this be done?  How should it be done (preferably in bulk)?  And what is the best way to do it without risking constricting myself should the need arise for future manipulation?  Or is this mainly a consideration for animated and not still scenes? 

On the subject.  This really isn't something my tutorials haven't touched on much, only mentioned in passing.  What things should I keep in mind when modelling and texturing in regards to performance?  I am using the animation labs computers so it's not as if grunt is a problem, I must just be going about things in a crude way.

S.O.S.?

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Pamz0r

• Purple ToonBoom Wizard!
    • View Profile
Re: Scene Optimisation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
hey roho!
One thing i recommend doing before deleting history is SAVING! each time you go to delete history on an object save it first, delete the history and then save it again.
you could do it in one big hit also. but if you do it that way, still save before the history is deleted, and then save again after. But don't save over the file. Incremental saves are the way of the future, so you can always go back to previous files. Also, when saving incremental files you'll wanna be aware of what you're naming everything.
What I do when Im saving stuff is put a number at the front, and then when you go to open them in maya you sort it by date modified.
heres an example of how i'd name it:
"01_Image01_Modelling(BeforeHistoryDeletion)"
"02_Image-01_Modelling(AfterHistoryDeletion)"
Also a good way to keep your scene running well without lag is optimising your scene size. File>OptimiseSceneSize(optionbox) and then apply. but i recommend saving before and after aswell...

Hope this helps.  :)
:)

Offline ELGATO

• Robbie !! I know who loves you.... its Al :D
    • View Profile
Re: Scene Optimisation
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:28:11 AM »
Rowan if your still having trouble post your scene file up or send it to my email and I can have a look at it for you.

Peace.
()__()
 o . O
( >< )
  ___