Author Topic: I need a new computer...  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Gav!n

• View Profile
    • My Site!
I need a new computer...
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »
Last night my computer decided to completely die, well the GPU fried for some reason. Replacing it will cost just about the same as a new computer because its a laptop and is integrated into the motherboard. So... I need a new computer, I'm thinking that getting a desktop pc would be best? Here's one that I had in mind

If you cant be bothered clicking the link here are some specs:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Processor Q9400
(2.66GHz, 1333FSB, 6MB)

8GB (4X2GB) DDR2 800MHz SDRAM Memory

Nvidia Chipset 1GB 9400GT PCI-E Graphics card

1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command
Queuing

For $949

Sound alright?

If anyone has any recommendations as to what they think I should get let me know because I would like to buy something soon so I can continue doing work. And no, I don't want a mac lol.  ;)
(\_/)
(O.o)
( > <)

Offline ~matt~

• Staff
  • by the hand of the animator
    • View Profile
Re: I need a new computer...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »
wow that sounds like a good price actually!!

you reckon they would give us a discount if we ordered 2 at once , cos i need a new computer 2 !!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:52:41 PM by ~matt~ »

Offline .:matty:.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
you should check what motherboard it holds, it might be awesome hardware but sometimes the motherboard cant handle it as much as others can and then your hardware only runs at half of what it can do, and also highly recommend getting a 64-bit system of vista or windows 7

Offline Gav!n

• View Profile
    • My Site!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
After a day of cooling down, my computer decided to work again! yay! well... the screen blacks out sometimes still... I think I will still be getting a new one because I don't want to risk this thing dying around assessment time :O

I looked it up and it was a problem with the toshiba portable models between '06 and '07, the GPU fails.

I talked to another friend (Who is also named Matt which is a bit weird lol) about that computer I was looking at and he said he wouldn't buy so I guess I'll keep hunting idk..
(\_/)
(O.o)
( > <)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »
matts right, one thing ive noticed with these ebay machines (i own one mind you, some of them are really good) they often target what people instantly think of, like cpu ram graphics and hdd, and put fancy terms like "GTX 9839027578375" and "787878 million gigaflops" on them. Meanwhile the psu can't even power the graphics card and the mother board can only handle 512 mb of 533 mhz ram. Everything needs to increase in quality together, like all things in life really. 10% in quality should cost 100% in price. Oh and make sure you buy an operating system with the windows 7 upgrade guarantee, cause we all know how lame vista is.

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Atcote

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MasonVFX
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
Sounds pretty damn good man, those 8 GB will come in handy with 64-bit. Only thing I'd look into is your graphics card; it's a fairly old one, and won't really stand up too much longer. Maybe look into the GT/GTX-2** range for something with a bit more lifespan - but then, if that's how the computer comes, go for it - although the $90 upgrade they have at the bottom is pretty good, it's still a kind of old card. Great value though.
Just in case people were wondering, it stands for 'At The Convenience Of The Experimenter.'

And now... this!

Offline Keaton

• Gamer @ Heart
    • View Profile
    • My CSU Webspace
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
Just build your own. Much cheaper. Computers slot together like Lego these days. And if anything goes wrong, you know exactly what it's made up of and how to fix it.

Use www.mwave.com.au for parts, great Melbourne company.
(-/\-)
   '''

Offline Eddynator

• persistence is the key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »
yeah i get all my stuff from mwave they're cool. i'de recommend building it yourself though , it's not that hard and you can add cool gismos of your choice too.
 About those specs , it's a nice build but don't neglect the motherboard and PSU , especially the motherboard. I recommend anything from the asus p5 or p6 family and any of Gigabytes latest models. A 500-700 watt PSU (1000 if your gonna install the beastly GTX or Radeon HD49 series).
Apart from that everythings fine with a 64bit system.  :)     

One thing i've learnt from building a few pc's is that quality counts , don't skimp and by cheap brands because those parts don,t last.

good luck !!!
Being bitten by a love bug and a smote bug at the same time is worse than instant death in a can