Author Topic: Draw errors when dealing with real world units  (Read 1731 times)

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Draw errors when dealing with real world units
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
Here's something I first thought was a graphics glitch (I even reported it to pat at one point) but I've finally put a finger on it.

Basically if you're smart you make your scenes reflect real world units, the tools behave better, the dynamics perform accurately, you know inherently how large something should be. It makes life easier.

However the cameras don't like it, at least at their defaults. The first and most obvious thing you have to do is adjust your far clip plane as to not crop things but 10 metres away, fairly obvious, the second is less obvious, you must adjust your near clip plane to a more meaningful value, say 1 (1 cm from cam, very close indeed). The default value of 0.01 simply doesn't' work, scale your near & far clip planes proportionally.

Doing this will allow real world scale models without working your GPU too hard, default quality rendering doesn't artefact.

Peace!

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline Patrick M

• School IT Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Draw errors when dealing with real world units
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
Nice. Makes sense too!

Offline rowan

• View Profile
Re: Draw errors when dealing with real world units
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
Yes these things seem frustratingly obvious in retrospect, still learning!

<3 Rowan
Animation? That's pretty much just done by Bridget nowadays... Bridget is ok I guess!!!! <3 <3 <3